Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM

20 posts, read 26,495 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Newbie here (first post)

I have been debating moving down to Phoenix from my current location in Northern California. Phoenix seems like it has a lot to offer, especially for someone in my age group. Nice restauraunts, bars, shopping, concerts, along with basically every major sports team. So I'm fairly excited.

My question is about apartments, I'm a little over 750 miles away so I can't go visit just yet. Do any of you know of any nice and affordable apartments possibly between $500-$800 per month (1 bedroom)? Or even nice areas, with a low crime rate and also diverse? Any tips and tricks? What about areas like Ahwatukee,Midtown, North Phoenix? I heard I should stay away from South Phoenix but are there other areas I should try to avoid?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Lovelymeeh; 06-18-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

49 posts, read 69,161 times
Hey!
First of all the valley around Phoenix is pretty spread out. Any idea what you'll do for work? That might have a lot to do with where you want to live. Also you did not mention your age group. Arizona State University is located in Tempe (just east/south east) of phoenix. Scottsdale has plenty to offer for all ages, as does north phoenix. Finding a one bedroom will be no problem for under $800 unless you want to be in the brand new properties in the heart of the party. If you are okay being in a little bit older (but not trashy by any means) of a complex, that can easily be accomplished. I've lived in tempe, gilbert, and mesa apartments and all have been under $800 for two bedrooms.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylfe11 View Post
Hey!
First of all the valley around Phoenix is pretty spread out. Any idea what you'll do for work? That might have a lot to do with where you want to live. Also you did not mention your age group. Arizona State University is located in Tempe (just east/south east) of phoenix. Scottsdale has plenty to offer for all ages, as does north phoenix. Finding a one bedroom will be no problem for under $800 unless you want to be in the brand new properties in the heart of the party. If you are okay being in a little bit older (but not trashy by any means) of a complex, that can easily be accomplished. I've lived in tempe, gilbert, and mesa apartments and all have been under $800 for two bedrooms.

Hey, thanks for the response

Okay, So Im currently trying to get a job as a phlebotomist ( I just recently became licensed). I do plan on continuing my education, just a few pre-requisite courses in nursing then taking it from there, So I will probably attend a local CC. I am 21 years old, single, and no children. At first I did want to live in the heart of Phoenix, but as im discovering the cities you listed have a lot to offer for nice apartments and I would only be a hop,skip, and a jump away from great Nightlife in Phoenix. What is the difference between Tempe,Gilbert, and Mesa? Which one did you like best?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,403,697 times
Do you have a car? Because a "hop, skip, and jump" is more like a leap sometimes on our public transit. If anything, I'd encourage you to consider living close to public transit, and by that I mean, light rail.

As far as I am aware, there is only one community college directly off the light rail. It is Gateway Community College and it is at the 38th St / Washington stop. There are others close, but that is the best bet if you want direct. Gateway is between Phoenix and Tempe on the rail.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Do you have a car? Because a "hop, skip, and jump" is more like a leap sometimes on our public transit. If anything, I'd encourage you to consider living close to public transit, and by that I mean, light rail.

As far as I am aware, there is only one community college directly off the light rail. It is Gateway Community College and it is at the 38th St / Washington stop. There are others close, but that is the best bet if you want direct. Gateway is between Phoenix and Tempe on the rail.
Yes I do have a car. And Ive lived near San Francisco as well as Los Angeles so a little traffic or longer commute to get to where the fun is doesn't scare me at all.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,779 times
Default costs and comparisons

A shout out from Wash. I too am seriously trying to decide which area of az to relocate to and am liking Chandler and also Glendale. I'm a spirited senior on a very limited income and am wondering which areas provide more affordable rents. Is Glendale near light rail? Also, I'm considering possibly a studio so as I can stretch my finances while I consider other options. Are there hostels in the area? I'm retired as of now and am so very excited to leave all this grey,windy,wet and
too cool for me weather while I'm young enough to do so. I'll be beginning my life over and have zero contacts down that
way. I was raised in the desert and God willing will be able with time to reajust. This is my first post also, hope I put it in the right spot. Blessed be for all the help and insights it's so valued and appreciated.

I'll be leaving Wa the end of Sept arv in Oct 2012 SassyKat

Last edited by oliver,susan; 06-18-2012 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM

846 posts, read 1,403,697 times
Susan, Neither Glendale nor Chandler are near light rail. The buses do run on holidays in Glendale but not in (most of) Chandler. If that helps.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,779 times
thank you for your input. Are Glelndale rents more affordable than Chandlers? Any direct references and names of properties to consider in either or both places? Also, at my age will it take me longer than a year to climatize? Are there
Winco grocery warehouses in Az? What about hostels? How does one find out about grocery stores etc down there, wish I had a phone book.......oh yeah I should be looking in the online yellow pages right? Stay in touch and keep me posted on any and all thoughts. Going solo is rough but I am certain it will be oh so worth it and to have FREEDOM back in my life, well the very thought invigorizis me and yes I fully realize that NOT having a soft spot to fall is going to be rought but not after what I've endured.
Blessed be, SassyKat

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM

312 posts, read 798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver,susan View Post
thank you for your input. Are Glelndale rents more affordable than Chandlers? Any direct references and names of properties to consider in either or both places? Also, at my age will it take me longer than a year to climatize? Are there
Winco grocery warehouses in Az? What about hostels? How does one find out about grocery stores etc down there, wish I had a phone book.......oh yeah I should be looking in the online yellow pages right? Stay in touch and keep me posted on any and all thoughts. Going solo is rough but I am certain it will be oh so worth it and to have FREEDOM back in my life, well the very thought invigorizis me and yes I fully realize that NOT having a soft spot to fall is going to be rought but not after what I've endured.
Blessed be, SassyKat
SassyKat I live in Texas now but lived in Phoenix 5 years. Winco has two locations on Bell Road, one in Glendale at 59th Ave and Bell and the other in the city of Phoenix at 7th Ave and Bell, and there are plenty of Walmart Supercenters. If I were you I would go online and check out places like Mesa and Gilbert in addition to Glendale. Mesa in particular seems somewhat geared towards seniors as I used to see a LOT of them when I would hang out there some weekends.

Last edited by micmac99; 06-18-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM

312 posts, read 798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelymeeh View Post
Yes I do have a car. And Ive lived near San Francisco as well as Los Angeles so a little traffic or longer commute to get to where the fun is doesn't scare me at all.
I live in Texas now but used to be in Phoenix five years, left in 2010, so I think my info might still be valid.

For someone early 20's, I would suggest looking first at Midtown Phoenix as they are trying to make that "hip" and "artsy". There are many older apartment complexes. I used to live off 7th Ave and Osborn. Look generally north of downtown on the light rail. Park Central Mall and St. Joseph's Hospital are the main core things in that area.

Phoenix College, the flagship campus of Phoenix's community college system, is right next to that off 15th Avenue and Thomas.

Be advised that safety and crime is a concern in many parts of the Phoenix area, including Midtown, (I don't think that's changed in two years) so if you need to be in a "safe" and "crime-free" environment, lean more towards the suburbs like Chandler. Tempe being the home of Arizona State is OK, but it is a college environment with everything good and bad that goes with that. When I was living in Phoenix I wanted to consider Tempe but I thought the apartments were too expensive and too "college student" oriented.

Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert are more traditional suburbs geared towards families and seniors. Chandler and Mesa have some apartment complexes of varying degrees of quality, expense and safety.

Scottsdale is OK, the south side of Scottsdale (south of Old Town) might be a little cheaper, and because of the proximity to ASU it tends to have a little more "student" stuff.

Old Town Scottsdale and the Scottsdale Fashion Square area to the north of it a little ways is nationally and internationally regarded as THE party/nightclub place, especially for young people with money, to be in all of the Phoenix area, and somehow I don't think that has changed in the two years I have been gone, if anything it's probably more so now. Parking and traffic is BAD on the weekends so watch out! Also there are a lot of "tourist trap" gift shops and "fine art" galleries.

There are apartments and condos around there as well, look on Hayden Road which is the next major street east of Old Town running north-south.

When I lived in Phoenix I found the freeway system to be efficient and not too crowded if you avoid the core rush hours, I did not own a car but rented about twice a month from Avis at Sky Harbor.

Last edited by micmac99; 06-18-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area