Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new hear and couldn't find a forum specific to Surprise, AZ, so hopefully this will reach the right eyes! I would like to get some information on the area and other surrounding areas (Peoria, Glendale) and your thoughts about raising a family in these places...which do you prefer? Which is safer? Which has the better schools? Also, why is real estate soooooo inexpensive in Surprise? Looks like you can get quite a home for very little! Is Surprise considered a smaller town or is it still a city? Thank you for any help you can give!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
We live in Waddell which is next to Surprise. I'm of the opinion the reason(s) that houses are less expensive in this area range from distance to Phoenix (commuting) to the massive building boom that occurred.
It's not that they're bad areas or "less than" other more expensive areas like Gilbert, just farther out which is what we like.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'd pretty much agree with jimj, adding that not so many people like being farther out. The commutes can be brutal.

I can't comment on the schools.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Here's an AZ school rating website that may give you some insight....just type in the city or school name, etc.

Arizona Schools - Arizona State School Ratings - Public and Private

Lots of demographics, comments by individuals, and a "GreatSchools" rating.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
BTW, Surprise is in the Dysart School District in case you were wondering.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
I have lived in northern parts of both Peoria and Glendale and enjoyed both areas. What I didn't like was the cummute to Phx for work. But both areas are full of things to do and are safe(and very beautiful).

I have a few friends who live in Surprise (I almost moved there years ago) and they all LOVE it out there! IT's a pretty city and very family orientated. I do like it there, but wa too far for me to drive to central Phx for work.

In my opinion, stay north of Union Hills from the I-17 (that will take you through Glendale and Peoria) til you hit Surprise then you can go south a couple miles. And between Peoria and Surprise you will run through Sun City - keep driving.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,342 times
Homes are inexpensive because we are in the middle of nowhere. Dysart school district is not the best. But, coming from the midwest, Arizona schools in general are not the best.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM

142 posts, read 933,661 times
Don't know much about the schools but I like the area when I visit out there. It's definitely far removed, but if you like being home a lot or work from home or don't mind driving then it's a great little city. They've got decent shopping and it's close to Arrowhead Mall, just head down Bell Road to the East. Really, it's not too bad and I think it is suffering from the 'boom' housing industry and hence the lower housing costs. I think it's a good economical place to raise a family, but, again I don't know much about the schools.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Homes sales are up in Surprise so you need to make sure you have recent listings. Zillow are similar sites are usually old listings and those homes are long gone. Just like many areas of Phoenix the homes in Surprise are getting multiple offers. Bigger homes in the better neighborhoods are starting to push 200-220K.

The schools are decent and you can view the grades on the Arizona education website. Public School Search. On left hand side choose search by city, type in Surprise and you will get the grades.

As for the city of Surprise. It is very nice, very quiet, full of families, and full of old people. Not an ideal place for singles but excellent for families. The Surprise recreation complex along with spring training is among the best. A new entertainment center called Uptown Alley just opened and it is pretty nice/fun.

The commute is not horrible. Grand Ave has been retimed and I can get to Downtown Phoenix in 30-35 mins (I live on Waddell and Litchfield). The 303 is on it's way to becoming a full freeway. Cardinal stadium (Westgate) takes me about 15-20 mins. The same for Arrowhead.

Crime is very low in Surprise and ranks up top with Gilbert as the safest citiy in Arizona. Of course there are no crime free cities.

I suggest visiting and having a real estate agent set up an MLS account according to your needs. That way you get up to date listings. Keep in mind that well priced homes are selling in a few days and are getting multiple bids. If you snooze you lose.

The best area of Peoria (NW-Vistancia area) puts you further out of civilization than Surprise does. Arrowhead (Glendale) is very nice but due to location is more pricier than Surprise.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrower12 View Post
Is Surprise considered a smaller town or is it still a city?
Surprise is simply a suburb of Phoenix, part of a metro area of over 4 million people. I doubt anyone would consider it a small town, though it's a great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area