Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM

344 posts, read 812,979 times

Advertisements

Phoenicians pride themselves on being able to withstand heat. But Darlene Cundlifee says the heat wave in the northeast was too much for her. She's happy to be back home.

"Here you're hot, but it's not that fainty feeling you get with the humidity. It's like getting out of a bath and you're already sweaty," says Cundlifee, who calls the valley home.

And we are definitely much more prepared for triple digits.

Some homes in the north east don't even have air conditioning, so you can imagine what they're going through.

Travelers from East Coast welcoming the dry heat - FOX 10 News - Phoenix, AZ | KSAZ-TV

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-21-2012 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Please post link and *brief* snippet only.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Phoenicians pride themselves on being able to withstand heat. But Darlene Cundlifee says the heat wave in the northeast was too much for her. She's happy to be back home.

"Here you're hot, but it's not that fainty feeling you get with the humidity. It's like getting out of a bath and you're already sweaty," says Cundlifee, who calls the valley home.

And we are definitely much more prepared for triple digits.

Some homes in the north east don't even have air conditioning, so you can imagine what they're going through.

Travelers from East Coast welcoming the dry heat - FOX 10 News - Phoenix, AZ | KSAZ-TV

yeah I can. Go outside, its like that.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Funny you bring this up...just earlier today I was looking on Weather.com and it was 104 in Phoenix but due to the 6% humidity, it said it "feels like" 97. I then noticed in a NYC it was 95 but due to their 41% humidity, it felt like 99.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Doesn't make any difference. Heat is still heat, whether it's dry or humid. Admittedly, dry heat does feel better than moist heat, but that still doesn't make Phoenix any kind of a summer destination. Being out in the blazing sun has serious risks in itself, such as heat stroke. In fact, heat stroke is more common in dry climates like this because you don't sweat as much. Sweating is your body's way of telling you to seek shade or a cooler location. But too many people take it for granted that the lack of humidity feels good, so they stay outside too long, and suffer the consequences later.

Heck, if you want to escape the heat and still come to Arizona, why not do it the right way? Maybe take a flight into Phoenix, rent a car and drive up to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, or the White Mountains. Stay in a nice hotel, lodge, or cabin in the mountains of Arizona where there is green, scenic beauty all around. It'll be at least 25 degrees cooler up there, and still drier air than back east. Plus, you don't have to fight the traffic in those locations like you do in Phoenix. During the summer months, the LAST thing I want to do is stay in Phoenix ... in fact, this is the time I travel to either the mountains of AZ, or coastal CA.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Valley Native is right, the dry heat is pretty serious and heat stroke can sneak up on you quickly. However, I grew up in humidity and having lived in an arid environment for the past 14 years I prefer the dry heat. Humid air is good for the skin, but the feeling of being wet all the time is no fun. We were in Boston last year and on the morning we were scheduled to fly back to AZ the temp was 74 degrees, but the humidity level must have been around 45-50 percent because we were drenched in sweat!

Northern Arizona is like paradise to us valley dwellers in the summer. In the absence of a beach, the mountains do just fine!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I feel much better out here than back in the southeast, maybe I don't notice because I'm at work all day, but my husband and I were walking in the parking lot of a store the other day when it was 100's and we were remarking on how different it was. It didn't feel so smothering. It didn't bother us so much. No, I wouldn't want to hike in it or be out long term, but when I used to run errands in Lousiana, it would just kill me. The heat and humidity were hard on me going in and out of stores, but here it's just not that bad for me. I can breathe in it. The sun is hot, but the shade feels better. I dunno, I know it'll get worse but so far it's just not bothering me that much, and I'm not hiding inside as much either.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I know what these travelers are talking about. We used to go to OK and AR in the summer. Coming back to the dry heat was like a breath of fresh air, particularly before monsoon has started up when the mornings are still deliciously pleasant. It is so nice not to be drenched with sweat.

One thing I enjoyed there, though, is how "steam" comes out of the car ac vents.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM

51 posts, read 94,428 times
Try Florida where the humidity averages 80-95%...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,891 times
I personally, agree! Dry vs humidity is a big deal. In all the times I've been in MA, ME, RI, CT, and TX, their humid heats suck the life out of me. Just stepping out the door caused me to break a sweat and feel dehydrated, not to mention, it seems harder to breathe. But dry heat in AZ............. pshhhhhhh............. I only sweat if I lean against something. I can breathe fine. But I do, however, will get a burn 10x faster just from walking out to check the mail, if I'm not wearing sunblock for that 2 minute walk!

Plus, smaller bugs. My goodness.. being stuck in a car in TX and seeing some giant mutation of a flying beetle stuck in there with you is NOT cool.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreads0518 View Post
Try Florida where the humidity averages 80-95%...
We took the kids to Disneyworld in June one year and Fl was having a heat wave and it was 96 the day we got off the plane. I took one step out of the airport and could not get any oxygen, lol. Had to come back from the parks 3X a day to shower and try to dry off. At least it was a clean sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area