Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 AM

595 posts, read 1,258,628 times

Advertisements

I try to park my car in a covered or shaded area whenever possible. My a/c is broke and I can't put $2,000 to fix it right, there are a whole lot of other things that take priority at this time.

I'm covering my steering wheel with a dampened dishtowel, but sometimes I'm nearly getting blistered. Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,003,487 times
Get a sun shade for your windshield. It works wonders as far as making surfaces more touchable. Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do. Just have to wait it out.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM

846 posts, read 1,403,524 times
I bought a cheap sun shield from Wal-Mart & it works great. Put it in your windshield while parked. There are expensive ones but I've never noticed a difference.

I know some people put gloves in their car to drive. Hey, it works.

I also know there are some car schools in the Valley. I understand $2k is a TON of money (I wouldn't even have that to spare) but when you are ready to fix it... I believe Gateway Comm College has a Toyota school. I also believe there is a high school with a car repair services (Metro Tech)? Might be worth looking into. I also believe there is a non-profit that helps single moms with car repairs. Not sure if you have a child or not.. Oh, and Costco offers an extended warranty on cars. I don't know the mileage of your car, but it might be worth looking into because it's effective next day.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
Find another mechanic- unless someone removed all of your a/c equipment, $2k is a high quote.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,083,160 times
Get a steering wheel cover, which stretches over the wheel and is made of thick material (not leather). I have no trouble with my steering wheel, with the sun shades in the front window.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,082,816 times
sun shades work great, but frankly you will NEED AC in your car if you drive during the day over the next couple months. I prefer to drive with the windows down, but if I go even 10 minutes, I see a burn starting on my arm. $2k is rediculous, If those other suggestions dont work for you, or if youd like, I have a buddy who can probably take a look. Hes been an auto mechanic for 10 years, and recently switched over to motorcycles. Still has all his tools, and likes to work. He usually fixes the neighbors cars for less than half what a shop would charge.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,771,463 times
Moderator cut: rude I have yet to turn on my cars a/c I don't have a covered parking option at work and I can touch the steering wheel just fine and cruise down the road with no a/c on. Guess I'm conditioned that way I use to drive a 77 camaro with a/c that didn't work for years. It really isn't that big of a deal. you are not going to die.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-24-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Moderator cut: rude I have yet to turn on my cars a/c I don't have a covered parking option at work and I can touch the steering wheel just fine and cruise down the road with no a/c on. Guess I'm conditioned that way I use to drive a 77 camaro with a/c that didn't work for years. It really isn't that big of a deal. you are not going to die.

You also aren't going to smell very good.

Not that this pertains to the OP since they don't have AC, but I put remote starters in my cars, so when I am walking with my kids (4 year old and 5 month old), I can start the car and have the AC on while I get them secured in their car seats. I just got a new SUV that requires the key fob to be inside for the car to start so I need to find an aftermarket company that can do this. Remote starters work well in the cold and the heat, at least if you have kids you have to spend time getting strapped in.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,237,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
A parked car can become an oven on a hot day and yes, it can indeed be a big deal. (1) You can get air to circulate by opening the windows and creating a breeze (from driving), but a 150+ degree car interior is still very hot.

Notice from the link I posted, the interior car temperatures shown in the slide show are for just 90 degree outside temperatures. On the last page it states, "Since 1998 at least 464 infants and children have died in hot vehicles in the United States." So yeah, it can be that big of a deal and someone can die.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM

211 posts, read 544,686 times
if you can trust where you leave your car while at work etc... get a good car cover. helps a ton and the sunshade for windshield helps alot.

also u could have your windows tinted if they are not already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area