Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM

66 posts, read 204,060 times

Advertisements

I guess I've become a bit of a Phoenix fanatic ('phanatic') these days. My screensaver: from Phoenix. Radio station: the valley's KAJM (via internet). And I've been coming to this board nearly every day.

Here are my questions. Feel free to answer as many as you feel:

1) When/ how often does it rain?
2) Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner?
3) What does it typically cost to run central air for a typical 3-bedroom house per month?
4) Do you need heaters/ have furnaces for the winter?
5) Is it true that you don't play outdoor sports in the summer? When can you play outdoor soccer? Are Soccer Rec. Leagues common?
6) How common are the concrete fences? Everyhouse/ most/ some?
7) How much does milk cost at the supermarket?
8) Can/ do children play outside in the summer?
9) I've seen some pretty nice looking 3 bedroom houses (detached) in the $225,000 range. Should I be suspicious of that price or could that be for real?
10) Do Real Estate agents get 3% of the sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
1. Not very often. August brings monsoon season and some rain and winter can be rainy too. Not Seattle-style, but rainy. Depending on where you are in the state, expect 70-90% sunshine possibility.

2. Id think you were insane w/o A/C. Seriously.

3. Depends on the sq. ft. of the house. My FIL has had A/C bills near $600 a month. His home is 4K sq. ft.

4. Yes, it gets quite chilly, especially at night. Expect several nights at or below freezing. Snow is rare, but a possibility, especially the higher up in elevation you go.

5. Not sure about soccer, but yes, you can play outside in the summer, but I wouldnt recommend it at all. Some do it, some dont. People die every year in AZ in the summer heat. Its no joke.

6. Concrete fences are very popular in the area. Id say more homes than not have them. Up where I stay there are more the adobe-styled "fences", but theyre still concrete underneath.

7. No idea. I just vacation there (alot). haha

8. Some do, some dont. Most dont (from what Ive observed). I know I wouldnt let my son play out there for more than a little while.

9. Id say thats pretty average for the burbs on the edge (ie Anthem).

10. No idea. I could ask my FIL though, he's in real estate.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From KW View Post
I guess I've become a bit of a Phoenix fanatic ('phanatic') these days. My screensaver: from Phoenix. Radio station: the valley's KAJM (via internet). And I've been coming to this board nearly every day.

1) When/ how often does it rain? Every so often, but mostly during the monsoon season.
2) Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner? Probably 99% of people have an AC and run it day and night during the summer.
3) What does it typically cost to run central air for a typical 3-bedroom house per month? My bills in the summer are $120-$225.
4) Do you need heaters/ have furnaces for the winter? Yes, you need heat here. It does go down in the 40's and even the 30's some nights.
5) Is it true that you don't play outdoor sports in the summer? When can you play outdoor soccer? Are Soccer Rec. Leagues common? There are plenty of sports here in the summer. LOTS of summer sports camps for kids and adults.
6) How common are the concrete fences? Everyhouse/ most/ some? VERY common. MOST homes will have them. The homes from before the 90's basically had wood fences, but many have upgraded to concrete for strength. Almost all homes will have a fence of some sort.
7) How much does milk cost at the supermarket? A gallon about $3, but I buy organic and it's $3.50 for a half gallon.
8) Can/ do children play outside in the summer? Yes, they play outside.
9) I've seen some pretty nice looking 3 bedroom houses (detached) in the $225,000 range. Should I be suspicious of that price or could that be for real? It's not bad, I'd stay at $250k and above myself. But, it depends on the area.
Yes, 3% is the norm (6% total then split).

Here ya go!!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

338 posts, read 1,625,546 times
1) When/ how often does it rain? Not very often. Mostly in July and August - monsoon season. I have seen a lot of rain some years in February too.
2) Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner? I'm sure there are some that do not have AC but not by choice. It is very much a necessity in the summer months and it usually runs day and night for 4-5 months straight.
3) What does it typically cost to run central air for a typical 3-bedroom house per month? I live in a 2 bedroom over 1000 sq. foot apartment and it runs me about $180 a month. I run it cool at 75 degrees.
4) Do you need heaters/ have furnaces for the winter? Yep. We get freezing temps and I have seen temps in the high 20's so we do need heat but not that often.
5) Is it true that you don't play outdoor sports in the summer? When can you play outdoor soccer? Are Soccer Rec. Leagues common? Soccer leagues are very common out here and people do play sports in the summer time.
6) How common are the concrete fences? Every house/ most/ some? Most houses have what we call a "block wall" some older homes have wood fences but most new homes come standard with a "block wall"
7) How much does milk cost at the supermarket? Usually $3 a gallon but organic will cost more. Sometimes gallons of milk are on sale for $1.50 a gallon.

8) Can/ do children play outside in the summer? Yes, children do play outside in the summer, they swim a lot out here.
9) I've seen some pretty nice looking 3 bedroom houses (detached) in the $225,000 range. Should I be suspicious of that price or could that be for real? It could be for real depending on the location. I have seen some nice new builds in the high 100's but out a little ways from the city. I would say that you could get a decent 3 br home for that price.
10) Do Real Estate agents get 3% of the sale? I do believe 3% is standard.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,962,604 times
[quote=From KW;1604338]I guess I've become a bit of a Phoenix fanatic ('phanatic') these days. My screensaver: from Phoenix. Radio station: the valley's KAJM (via internet). And I've been coming to this board nearly every day.

1) [font=Arial]When/ how often does it rain?NOT OFTEN
2) [font=Arial]Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner?NOT POSSIBLE
3) [font=Arial]What does it typically cost to run central air for a typical 3-bedroom house per month?JUNE_JULY_AUGUST 200 and up.
4) [font=Arial]Do you need heaters/ have furnaces for the winter?YES
5) [font=Arial]Is it true that you don't play outdoor sports in the summer? NO When can you play outdoor soccer?SUMMER MORNINGS OR EVENINGS Are Soccer Rec. Leagues common?YES AND YES
6) [font=Arial]How common are the concrete fences? VERY COMMONEveryhouse/ most/ some?OLDER HOMES MAY HAVE WOOD FENCE
7) [font=Arial]How much does milk cost at the supermarket?2.99 to 3.25
8) [font=Arial]Can/ do children play outside in the summer?YES
9) [font=Arial]I've seen some pretty nice looking 3 bedroom houses (detached) in the $225,000 range. Should I be suspicious of that price or could that be for real?COULD BE FOR REAL THE MARKET STINKS
10) [font=Arial]Do Real Estate agents get 3% of the sale USUALLY

Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM

66 posts, read 204,060 times
Thanks for the reponses! I've read them all! I hope my question about children playing outside in the summer wasn't too dumb! I was just worried they could pass-out!

I've got 2 more, if it's not too much trouble...

11) Do the houses have basements?

12) Can any trees (outside of palms and cactus) grow naturally (ie. without having to be watered)? Do you need to spend a lot to water your grass and garden since there is so little rain?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,656,240 times
1) When/ how often does it rain?
We are at the mercy of the Indians and their rain dances - it does not happen very often. Might occasionally see a cloud...if you are lucky.

2) Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner?
Surely! - if you are into frying yourself from the inside-out.

3) What does it typically cost to run central air for a typical 3-bedroom house per month?
4200SF w/ pool - Just a bit over $470/mo.

4) Do you need heaters/ have furnaces for the winter?
Yes - only ran the heat for 1 week last Winter.

5) Is it true that you don't play outdoor sports in the summer? When can you play outdoor soccer? Are Soccer Rec. Leagues common?
We play outdoor sports in summer - our son does.

6) How common are the concrete fences? Everyhouse/ most/ some?
Walls are common, but there are none in our development here in Fountain Hills.

7) How much does milk cost at the supermarket?
I'm sorry, no one in our house drinks milk - I stopped buying it.

8) Can/ do children play outside in the summer?
They "can" - but it's a rare sight in my area in the late morning and afternoons. Mostly stay inside or go to each other's houses - or are in the pool.

9) I've seen some pretty nice looking 3 bedroom houses (detached) in the $225,000 range. Should I be suspicious of that price or could that be for real?
If it's a house here in Fountain Hills and it is not a condo, be very suspicious.

Why - are you offering to help sell ours?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:33 PM

683 posts, read 2,652,709 times
Quote:
Is there anyone who does not have/ is it possible to live without an air conditioner?
One thing to be aware of is that some homes and apartments have "evaporative coolers". They work if the air is dry, but when it gets humid in July and August, they don't work very well. The good thing about them is they are a lot cheaper to run than regular air-conditioning. Just be sure to find out what you're getting before you buy a house.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reponses! I've read them all! I hope my question about children playing outside in the summer wasn't too dumb! I was just worried they could pass-out!

I've got 2 more, if it's not too much trouble...

11) Do the houses have basements? Very few have them and if they do they will cost a whole lot more!!

12) Can any trees (outside of palms and cactus) grow naturally (ie. without having to be watered)? Do you need to spend a lot to water your grass and garden since there is so little rain?
Don't know much about trees, but yes on watering grass!! It takes a lot of water to sustain it here.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 AM

44,643 posts, read 61,677,004 times
All trees, including palm trees need deep water soaking in the summer months every one to two weeks and about every 3 to 4 weeks in the cooler months. Palm trees being tropical plants are not native to our desert. But with plenty of water they thrive quite well.
Grass, not being natural to the desert, also needs deep watering about every 3-5 days in the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area