Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,881 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to the Phoenix area at the end of the month to work as a professor at ASU. I was wondering what the area around the South Mountain Resort was like crime-wise and with regards to public transportation. Parking at ASU costs an arm and a leg, so if I could take the bus to campus I would be greatly pleased

Any advice y'all have about areas of town to avoid or where good access to public transportation might be found would be greatly appreciated, especially if it pertains to the Pointe at South Mountain (in our top 5 for apartments).

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinnud View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving to the Phoenix area at the end of the month to work as a professor at ASU. I was wondering what the area around the South Mountain Resort was like crime-wise and with regards to public transportation. Parking at ASU costs an arm and a leg, so if I could take the bus to campus I would be greatly pleased

Any advice y'all have about areas of town to avoid or where good access to public transportation might be found would be greatly appreciated, especially if it pertains to the Pointe at South Mountain (in our top 5 for apartments).

Cheers!
I'm sure statistics on crime are available online from various sources. Public transit would run more frequently north and south of campus, though, along Route 72 (Scottsdale Rd/Rural Rd) Better shopping and other basics in those areas, too. I think that's a better option than South Mountain Resort area.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
You're not looking in Tempe? There are a lot of areas within walking distance of campus, many within very easy cycling distance, and many along the Orbit bus lines.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
The area around the Pointe South Mountain(Arizona Grand Resort) isn't bad. There a lot of decent apartment complexes on Baseline Rd which put you right on the busline. You would also be down the street from AZ Mills mall and basic shopping. You could take the Baseline Rd bus to Rural then take the Rural/Scottsdale Rd bus straight to campus. However if you have to go to campus on a regular basis you might want to think about moving closer in. There are plenty of apartments/townhomes/shared houses that are walking/biking or a short bus ride distance from campus.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
The Baseline bus does not run as often as the Rural (72) one does, I don't think. So, you want to be able to use the 72 and perhaps one of the free Orbit circulators, if needed. Or, bike to the 72 bus; the buses have bike racks. The shopping choices around the S Mtn resort are just not that extensive, either. You'd be better off in Tempe.

Here's the mass transit site: www.valleymetro.org

Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,881 times
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone One thing that really appealed to us about the Pointe was how resort-y the area seemed. The AZ Central crime map marks a lot of property crimes (over 300) in the 85044 area code in the last year, so that is a bit of a concern. The public transportation seems to be about an hour; one line on Guadalupe or Baseline to get to the Rural line. I do agree, though, that apartments closer to campus seem a lot more convenient.

We are really set on getting a dog when we move out there. Does anyone have any idea about what places near ASU allow dogs? We'd like something of the type to come play and hike with us, so small dogs aren't exactly appealing. On the other hand, we don't want to live in a place where everyone has a pit bull because they're cool. Ah well, the balance of preferences is never perfect.

Again, thanks for your help! Excited to see the area come August.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
A lot of the places near ASU allow dogs, but some of them may have size limits. I'm guessing, with all the other stuff you're going to have to deal with at the same time (new job, figuring out how to commute, relocating, etc.) it might be easiest for you to sign a short-term temporary lease near campus, then figure out longer-term accommodations later on? There are also quite a few storage facilities in Tempe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area