Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 263,803 times

Advertisements

Ahwatukee Good schools and 15 minutes to Sky Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Hi,
We might be moving to PHX and need to be commuting distance to Sky Harbor. We currently live in a neighborhood with tons of ten year-old girls for our daughter!! We would like to find another family-oriented neighborhood with housing price NTE $350,000. We're flexible on square footage. Any suggestions?
no brainer. old mother hubbard rolling hills development in
old shoe nevada
the founder of the development is an young senior, a charming woman
somewhat of a celebrity for her high fertility rate
but also somewhat eccentric, being a former long time wealthy san francisco resident.
there are high hopes for growth of this development
although ms hubbard has recently been the recipient of a cps investigation
due to an anynomous call that she had given broth without bread to her children and beaten them b4 sending them to bed
investigation pending; development attorneys are involved in the matter
counter charges and possible law suit for inappropriate handling of this case by the county pending.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the responses!! Is Suprise too far away from Sky Harbor? We didn't get a chance to visit Gilbert on our last trip in July. We did spend some time at our friend's house in Arrowhead and we were surprised by the lack of children playing outside. I know when we lived in Sierra Vista, it seemed like there were very few children for our daughter to play with. I am hoping to find something similar to where we live now. Any specific neighborhoods in Gilbert that would allow us to stay under $350,000 with a 3-car garage? Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!
My husband's office is a few miles from the airport. It takes him 45 minutes in light traffic (when he leaves early/gets home before or after rush hour), but takes 90 minutes in traffic. It really depends on what time he needs to leave and what time he gets home. When I was working, I found that if I left by 6:45, I was fine, but after 7:00 a.m., the commute was worse.

As far as your price, you could get all you want for that price or even less. There are several in my neighborhood that fit that description for under 300k.

If I could offer one more bit of advice, it's worth it to buy into neighborhoods that went up '05 IMO. Those selling are selling for a song, but those staying paid a good amount for their house and really keep it up. Our neighborhood in general is really nice, but my street is the best of the neighborhood because it went up last in 2005. There are a lot of people who are upsidedown in their house, but I'll tell you... it's a quiet street where people manicure their lawns and really take care of their houses and neighbors. Fortunately we are one of the few that got on this street before the prices skyrocketed, so we're not quite in their position!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Is Suprise too far away from Sky Harbor? We didn't get a chance to visit Gilbert on our last trip in July.
In my opinion, yes, it's too far from the airport. Once the snowbirds get in town - the commute will be longer. If I were you, I would hold off on buying until you are out here and rent for a year to *see* what areas you like for yourself. Even though Surprise is a nice family community, I would never live there even if I were paid to - there are other things about the area that cannot stand. Same for Gilbert - it's all a matter of preference. Anyone can tell you that "this and that" community has a lot of kids - but with the way that people move away around here - A LOT of things can change - and kids grow older (those once 10 year olds I saw or John Doe saw - could now be 14 or 16). My advice again - rent before buying anywhere here. It's much different living here than vacationing here. The "rosie-colored glasses" should start to fully fall off at about month 3. It's a "try before you buy" city - half the people hate it here and can't wait to get out - the other half of the people love it and will never leave. You need to find out if you even like living here (*not vacationing*) here first. I seriously doubt you will find a community here that is comparable to the one you are in now. This is not the Midwest or East - people and places, etc. are quite different here. You may even find your neighbors here to be a tad more unfriendly than where you are at now. Hopefully not - but it's quite possible. Phoenix as a whole is a bit um.....different, er, unique.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
In my opinion, yes, it's too far from the airport. Once the snowbirds get in town - the commute will be longer. If I were you, I would hold off on buying until you are out here and rent for a year to *see* what areas you like for yourself. Even though Surprise is a nice family community, I would never live there even if I were paid to - there are other things about the area that cannot stand. Same for Gilbert - it's all a matter of preference. Anyone can tell you that "this and that" community has a lot of kids - but with the way that people move away around here - A LOT of things can change - and kids grow older (those once 10 year olds I saw or John Doe saw - could now be 14 or 16). My advice again - rent before buying anywhere here. It's much different living here than vacationing here. The "rosie-colored glasses" should start to fully fall off at about month 3. It's a "try before you buy" city - half the people hate it here and can't wait to get out - the other half of the people love it and will never leave. You need to find out if you even like living here (*not vacationing*) here first. I seriously doubt you will find a community here that is comparable to the one you are in now. This is not the Midwest or East - people and places, etc. are quite different here. You may even find your neighbors here to be a tad more unfriendly than where you are at now. Hopefully not - but it's quite possible. Phoenix as a whole is a bit um.....different, er, unique.
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. We've never lived anywhere like where we live now. We both grew up in SoCal and neither us can afford to go back, nor do we want to go back. We're actually not super excited about moving to PHX, but it is close to family (Sierra Vista, AZ and SoCal) and the job (we will find out this week if he gets it) is GREAT! Sad to say, but I don't even enjoy vacationing in PHX that much. When we lived in El Paso, TX, we stayed in PHX all the time during the summer. We stayed in great resorts, but with Priceline prices I have a feeling that you are right. However, we are still excited about the possibility of moving out there. I hope we aren't one of the people that sit around and say, "If only we had stayed in PA." We are planning on keeping our house here and renting it out just in case..........

Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
I have to agree with Jeep Girl about renting before you buy. In this market, you want to make sure you know you really like the area you're moving to before you buy! When I think family, I think of places like Surprise, Gilbert, Chandler, Buckeye, Happy Valley. If you want to be close to activities and stuff, this will change what you're looking for. Remember that we build out, not up, which means that we're stretched out!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
We didn't get a chance to visit Gilbert on our last trip in July. We did spend some time at our friend's house in Arrowhead and we were surprised by the lack of children playing outside.

Oh don't let that phase you. Everyone stays inside during the day from late April until October. Starting in October it gets easier to go outside really early or after the sun sets (and remember it sets earlier now so there is more time for the kids to actually play outside).
You get used to the schedule after a while. Just think summer is winter here and winter is summer.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 10-01-2007 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Val Vista Lakes is about 30 minutes, more or less, depending on traffic, from the airport. There are a lot of young children in this area. There are some pilots living here. I am a retired Pan Am pilot, and now a full time realtor.

There is a club house here with a lot of activities for kids and adults of all ages.

Contact me if I can give you more information.

Bill

Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I live in Chandler and it's only a 10 min. shoot down the freeway to the airport. Our neighborhood is full of kids and the Kyrene school district is pretty good. PM me if you want exact local. Plus we have a nice new mall and plenty of parks.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 AM

39 posts, read 121,579 times
Gilbert is great for families. We live on a street with 9 houses and 23 kids... pretty much the same on all the others too My husband goes to the airport alot and it takes anywhere from 25 - 35 mins or so depending on traffic. We live in SE Gilbert so there are Gilbert neighborhoods closer in as well.

Good luck wherever you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area