Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,993,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
This is starting to turn into a pissing contest. Try to be civil. The only people laughing are those who are laughing. The rest of us either live where Joe has made our life better or wish we had a sheriff with his huspa. Arizona is not a laughing stock. Rather it is a leader in what is right.

Actually, so far I think this has been a pretty civil discussion amongst people with differing opinions. Especially since this is such a polarizing issue.

Allow me to ask, since I'm new here, how has the Sheriff made your life better? That's not sarcasm, it is an honest question since there may be components to this issue that I'm not aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM

484 posts, read 970,607 times
There is something to be said for someone doing a good job, but grandstanding and grabbing for media attention is not professional.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,358,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I'm not taking sides on the birth certificate issue, however, I do agree that if a president is not a US citizen, then the American people have a right to know, because only a citizen can be president.
Not entirely true. Only a natural born citizen can become president. My Chinese wife can become a US citizen, but she can never (legally) become president.

While I wonder what jurisdiction Sheriff Joe claims on this issue, I also have to wonder whose job it is to ensure that federal candidates on the AZ ballot are actually eligible to be on that ballot. It's not like the FEC is ever gonna call Obama's eligibility into question. Ditto for the AZ Sec. of State. Sheriff Joe is probably the only person in the state with the political capital to do anything on this issue. Obama could come out tomorrow and admit his BC is a fake and we all know the Congress would not remove him. So, as with the feds' refusing to enforce immigration law, it's up to the states to pick up the slack and so Obama's eligibility to be on the ballot is being looked into. It would have been nice, had the media done its job in 2008, but they're far more interested in helping Obama get elected and reelected than in pursuing anything that could hurt that effort.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I'm new to the state, but Sheriff Joe is known all the way back in PA where we moved from. And after reading my post, someone here will probably tell me to go back there. I'm not saying this to offend anyone here, and those of you who are supporting him probably don't care, but do you realize that outside of Arizona his antics make the state a laughing stock?
I'm from MI and spent time in IL and PA. Joe hardly ever came up in any discussion but when he did it was all positive. Hell, I had a positive viewpoint of Arpaio until I moved here. All I saw was the tough on crime sheriff I saw on the MSNBC show Lock Up and read the stories about the pink underwear.

Then I move here and see he offends all of my libertarian sensibilities.

He can investigate Obama's birth certificate all he wants. I could care less even if I believe Obama was born here. But he needs to do so on his own dime.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Aren't there several hundred unsolved homicides from the past decade alone across the county?
That is exactly why Joe is doing what he can. And those crimes are in the cities, where the city police are doing little about gangs or illegals. The number of crimes outside the city are practicly nil and mostly on the reservations.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Now that you have moved here, has Joe done anything that you feel does not help to reduce crime, and would make you want to move out?

Do you think the criminals who hate tent city will want to go back there? Or do you think some of them (excluding the hardened criminals who will always be criminals) will think twice before committing another crime?

And maybe the dead beat dads will rather make their next alimony payment instead of ending up back in tent city?

If he keeps some of the criminals and dead beats from coming back to tent city, then maybe he is doing something right.
Joe is responsible for about $50 MILLION dollars (and counting!) in legal claims against the county, that taxpayers are footing the bill for. A significant portion of his $4 million dollar campaign war chest is coming from those who do not live in this county, and won't have to pay to clean up after him. I'd be just as mad if people from other states were trying to influence (or buy) our next governor or senator. And I'm more than a little put-off by the fact that "America's toughest sheriff" can't remember his own name when he he gets called into court. Andy Thomas was disbarred for doing Arpaio's dirty work, and that pretty much never happens to lawyers.

Going after your political enemies under the color of law is something we don't expect to happen in the US, but It's pretty obvious that Joe and his helpers have done just that. This isn't about "illegals" or tent city, it's about arresting people & trying them in the press based on trumped-up charges.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM

And you don't think those political enemies are the ones who are causing the $50,000,000 in suits? Joe is not losing very many of them, so just who is costing $50,000,000. The ones suing or the one being sued for political reasons?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,993,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'm from MI and spent time in IL and PA. Joe hardly ever came up in any discussion but when he did it was all positive.

He had popped up again on the news in the East after he announced in March (I think) that he was starting the birther investigation. There had also been some editorials in the NY papers once that started. Prior to that, I think he might have made the spotlight back there about the food in the jails and when the Feds started investigating him. Honestly I don't recall all the details since at that time I wasn't aware of my upcoming move, so I wasn't as in tune to things happening in AZ.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Joe is the sheriff of maricopa County, Not anywhere in Michigan or New York. Must have been a slow news day.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,042 times
Ex-Police Chief's Book Details Arpaio's Negligence in El Mirage Cases - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Sheriff Arpayaso failed to enforce the law in several sex crimes in El Mirage while the county served the city.

Victims Wonder Why Arpaio Let Sex-Abuse Cases Languish - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

This article is a little more in depth, though really unpleasant to read about.

Another link to another of the many inmates who died at the MCSO's hand while in custody.
Death Sentence - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

One of many, going way back to Scott Norberg's death which cost the county quite a bit in court.

MCSO puts on a show enforcing some laws in front of a camera and barely enforces or ignores many others. All the while costing us a fortune in legal fee's and respect in front of the rest of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area