Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM

53 posts, read 97,283 times

Advertisements

(My first thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/1653820-want-leave-depressing-salem-oregon-move.html)

We are 97% sure that we're moving to Arizona after the new year. Our plan is to move on Feb. 1st, and we will stay in an extended-stay motel for what I'm anticipating to be a long while, at least three months, because I like the idea of having plenty of time to find a job, or find a better job if I don't luck out right away.

After doing my research, I have found an extended-stay motel that appears to be everything we need for a decent price. It *looks* clean and safe from here, but I can't be sure without ever actually being in that area in person. So I was hoping to get opinions.

We had already decided that we would want to live in one of the smaller cities surrounding Phoenix, and this motel is in the Northwest corner of Gilbert, very close to Mesa and Chandler. Thanks to Google maps, I know that it is within a couple miles of just about anywhere I can think of that we may need or want to go. Including schools. We would be moving in the middle of the school year (yikes!, I know) so my son would need to be enrolled asap. I looked into it and he would be going to Mesquite Jr. High based on the location of the motel. My hope is that this area of Gilbert is nice and the schools are great, because then when we start looking for a house to rent, I would stay in that area so my son could continue with Mesquite Jr High/High School.

Is this area of Gilbert nice? Family-friendly or more singles oriented? I know it's close to plenty of shopping and dining - what about access to other surrounding cities, since I could be working in Mesa or Chandler or who knows? Are the Mesquite schools known to be good, fair, poor? Would you be afraid to walk down the street at night by yourself in this area? LOL I don't want to sound ridiculous, it's just hard to make this kind of decision sight-unseen so descriptive replies would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,997 times
As you've already been told by several members, Gilbert has consistently rated one of the safest cities in the United States. For several years running. Having said that, the entire Phoenix metro area is vast and sprawling, with over four million residents. Things can happen. There are no mean streets of Gilbert. Nor is it known in any shape or fashion as a singles mecca! Its reputation is as a clean, family-oriented, rather conservative suburb of Phoenix. Others will be able to chime in as to the schools; I had no kids in school when I lived there.

By the way, I loved living in Gilbert, and think you'll be very pleased with your decision.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Yes, I know I've already been told by several members that Gilbert is a good area, plus I've done plenty of my own research as well, which is why Gilbert was one of our choices to begin with. But, seeing as how Gilbert has over 200,000 people, and seeing as how most cities have some areas that are considered better than other areas, regardless of whether or not the city overall is considered great, I thought I would ask specifically about NW Gilbert and the Mesquite schools.

In my current city, I can tell you that overall, it's considered safe, but there is definitely one part of town that I would advise a person not to move into - not because it's overtly dangerous but because it is a lot worse than all of the other areas. At the same time, there is another part of town that has incredibly low crime, high average income, etc. that would be considered extremely safe and pleasant. But instead of Salem being defined one way or the other based on those two parts of town, it is (to me) defined as average overall. So I get that Gilbert is safe and pleasant overall, but saying that doesn't automatically mean there isn't one small part of town that is less desirable than the others. That's all I was getting at.

Thanks for the input. I have heard tons of people say they loved Gilbert, so I feel really confident in my decision just based on that.

Last edited by Storm00; 08-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Understood. But there are no bad areas of Gilbert.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Understood. But there are no bad areas of Gilbert.
Then awesome, makes me even more excited for the big move!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,092 times
There are a few small pockets in this area that you may not like, but there are also very few rentals in these areas.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
There are a few small pockets in this area that you may not like, but there are also very few rentals in these areas.
Interesting! I must have missed them when I lived there - I stand corrected.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
About the rentals - do you mean there are very few rentals in the NW corner of Gilbert? I would be renting, and I'm resigned to staying at the extended-stay suites for as long as needed, but eventually I hope to find a nice rental house in that area.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,061,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie99 View Post
About the rentals - do you mean there are very few rentals in the NW corner of Gilbert? I would be renting, and I'm resigned to staying at the extended-stay suites for as long as needed, but eventually I hope to find a nice rental house in that area.
There are very few rentals in the less desirable areas. You should be fine!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,269,878 times
Nope, I live in NW Gilbert...in an older neighborhood, I agree with Kimber(something), there are NO bad areas of Gilbert. I get more nervous passing a police station here (might get a traffic citation if Im not paying attention) than any dark unlighted area of Gilbert (if there are ANY). The schools in the area are all rated high by Greatschools.net Gilbert will probably be one of the most boring places you could move to. And that's exactly what I was looking for.

Being from Salem (I am from Roseburg Oregon) you will only have to get used the heat...and you never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area