Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM

24,327 posts, read 13,182,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
But that begs the question: How the heck are the disconnected looney-toons getting into office? While I haven't really followed AZ politics for awhile (except for the extreme stuff that made the national news), this seems like a case of either voter apathy or voter disconnect.
The above comment was covered yesterday in a national poll which stated that Congress' approval rating hovers around 20% EXCEPT for the local congressman or senator; then, it's more like 40-50%. The "vote the bums out" cry just doesn't seem to apply to the home districts.

When I was in California in the late 80s the political climate was not as bad as Arizona's (I watched the Ev Mecham mess every night on the LA news) but the politicians were so far out of touch it was, well, Californian. Both Dems and Reps were frequently in the back pocket of Orange and Ventura County developers, and where I lived in the High Desert it was a truly spectacular circus, with every special interest imaginable making the political scene untenable. The Bible Belt is a fun place to watch politics, but it doesn't have exclusive ownership of gross buffoonery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
We can only hope this is a final good riddance to one of the most fringe-wingnut lunatics to have ever served in the legislature.

But don't count on it.

Pearce is like a virus that won't go away no matter how much we try to fight it off. He still has a small but strong support among extremist ultraconservatives.

He will be back again and again until he finally gets the message that we don't want him in politics, or until he croaks, whichever comes first.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
But that begs the question: How the heck are the disconnected looney-toons getting into office? While I haven't really followed AZ politics for awhile (except for the extreme stuff that made the national news), this seems like a case of either voter apathy or voter disconnect.
A failed primary system. Independents will soon outnumber Republicans in the state. They already outnumber registered Democrats. What has happened is that as more Dems and Reps leave the party in disgust, the fanatics are left to push forward candidates from the fringes. Independents can vote in one party or the other in state elections but the choice put before them is ugly versus uglier and they stay away. There may be a non-partisan primary option on the ballot this fall. It still has problems, but something needs to be done to give voice back to the moderate majority - not just in AZ but across the country.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM

357 posts, read 712,827 times
Back in my bartending days I had two regulars that were HUGE Russell Pearce supporters. Even with all the drunk, inappropriate customers I had to deal with these two were among my most disliked. They were like missionaries trying to turn me to their Pearce cult, they idolized him in a very odd way. And of course since I was working I had to smile and be polite and just scream in my head .

Disclaimer: I fully respect that everyone has their political views, I'm just sick of hearing them!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
It's a little of both I think.

Most people I have run across here are not extremist one way or the other, they are pretty moderate for the most part.

But there is a republican majority among voters, and many of them who vote tend to pick the republican candidates regardless how right-wing, clownish, or corrupt they might be.

Whatever the case is I tend to agree with Ponderosa, based on last night's results I think there was finally some moderation in the primaries and a message that we no longer want to be represented by one-sided extremist windbags.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM

353 posts, read 658,056 times
Quote:
Bingo.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM

272 posts, read 609,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A failed primary system. Independents will soon outnumber Republicans in the state. They already outnumber registered Democrats. What has happened is that as more Dems and Reps leave the party in disgust, the fanatics are left to push forward candidates from the fringes. Independents can vote in one party or the other in state elections but the choice put before them is ugly versus uglier and they stay away. There may be a non-partisan primary option on the ballot this fall. It still has problems, but something needs to be done to give voice back to the moderate majority - not just in AZ but across the country.
I am an Independent - for the exact reason you stated - and I'd gladly vote in the AZ primaries if allowed.

Being an Independent, I wasn't allowed to vote in the Illinois primaries. Ticked me off, but I doubt that will ever change up there - too much old "Machine" politics.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,594,694 times
Quote:
I am an Independent - for the exact reason you stated - and I'd gladly vote in the AZ primaries if allowed....
But you are allowed to vote - you just need to request a ballot for the party primary you want to participate in.

Independents, you can vote in primaries

Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
But you are allowed to vote - you just need to request a ballot for the primary you want to participate in.

Independents, you can vote in primaries
Excellent.
Just moved back to The Valley; got my AZ drivers' license and registered to vote last week. I probably missed the registration cutoff for the primaries, anyway - but I'll be ready to do my small part in reducing the insanity next time around...

Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Seems it's not only the independent voters who don't know their voting rights.
From the AZCentral article linked to above:

Quote:
...And it isn't just voters who need to learn that independents are only barred from presidential primaries. Lynn says independents have been turned away by poll workers.

Read more: Independents, you can vote in primaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area