Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 47,827 times

Advertisements

My fall allergies are in full force today. Anyone from the midwest move to AZ and find relief in terms of allergies and has the move been worth it just for this reason alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM

168 posts, read 456,576 times
I've not met one person in the 9 years I've lived here who's told me that their allergies have improved since moving here. In fact, people have either developed allergies or had their allergies worsen. I'm sure someone will pipe in with opposite experiences. But that's been mine. My allergies have been terrible the past few days too. Not fun.

I think you need to treat your allergies here as you do anywhere else - take your meds if you have some, drink lots of water, and absolutely stay indoors during dust storms and when the air quality is bad.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
I've not met one person in the 9 years I've lived here who's told me that their allergies have improved since moving here. In fact, people have either developed allergies or had their allergies worsen. I'm sure someone will pipe in with opposite experiences. But that's been mine. My allergies have been terrible the past few days too. Not fun.

I think you need to treat your allergies here as you do anywhere else - take your meds if you have some, drink lots of water, and absolutely stay indoors during dust storms and when the air quality is bad.
Well now you know one because my allergies have improved since moving here. And I know several people whose allergies have improved particularly if they are allergic to mold and certain grass and trees which are much more prevalent in other areas.

I would recommend seeing an allergist and consider shots if your allergies are that bad. If you are taking over the counter meds and they aren't improving, you should seriously consider seeing an allergist. There is no reason to suffer if you can do something about it. The way shots work is they make an extract from tiny antigens from things you are allergic to. Your body then slowly adapts to those antigens and no longer identifies them as foreign. With allergies, its your immune system going into overdrive and "overreacting" to things it sees as being foreign. The idea behind shots is that over time, your body will no longer see those objects as being foreign and your symptoms will disappear completely or improve. It doesn't work in everyone but it's effective in about 90% of people and the process can be lengthy from 3-5 years. I wanted to explain this because some people thinks allergy shots are medicines like antihistamines or pharmaceuticals and they aren't. It works through the body's own immune system.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-29-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
What you're allergic to in one part of the country you may not be in another. Vegetation, dust/soil, and weather play a big part in allergies. Many people are also allergic to certain foods. Generally you'll end up with a new and different set allergy reactions when you move to a new environment, therefore you should see a local allergist and be tested for your allergies and get the proper remedies for them.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I was better off on the east coast.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
We have two seasons of bloom here. Fall and Spring. If you have plant allergies or grass you might be in for a bit more but if it's a mold allergy you will probably feel much better. If it's dust, well, lol, obviously not so much.

You have to remember we don't get snow, or cold enough weather for all our plant life to die or hibernate in the winter. So, like others have said, see what it is you are allergic to first. Then decide based on this. They might just be the same.

Those shots sound like a good idea.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Nut View Post
My fall allergies are in full force today. Anyone from the midwest move to AZ and find relief in terms of allergies and has the move been worth it just for this reason alone?
I find relief in AZ all the time (I have a house in the Midwest). I left Phoenix on Tuesday and flew to my house in the Midwest. Now it's Thursday, and I'm *miserable* from allergies, and sitting inside in the A/C, instead of enjoying the day walking on the beach or something. Between the stinking hot, humid summer and nasty allergies in the Midwest, the whole summer has been a bust.

No problems in Phoenix, to speak of. The dust doesn't bother me. I do get very mild seasonal allergies in Arizona, but they are nothing like what I get in the Midwest. Nothing that merits taking any medication. In the Midwest, I have to take medication frequently.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM

603 posts, read 946,471 times
It's been pretty bad this past week. I've had to switch back from my contacts to glasses.

My primary doc out here was also an allergist, but the guy was in his 80's and basically told me I should just stay indoors whenever the air pollution was bad.
I told him one year "You know more than half of July was pollution advisories, right?". He said, "Yeah, that's why you shouldn't leave the house."
He was better as a general practitioner than as an allergist (just retired though).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM

70 posts, read 209,677 times
Last 2 days My azz has been beaten to a pulp by allergies!!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrotten54 View Post
Last 2 days My azz has been beaten to a pulp by allergies!!
Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area