Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 26,794 times

Advertisements

I would like to spend 2-3 months starting in Jan. 2013 in the greater Phoenix area. I was looking for reasonable accommodations for that time frame. Say something between $1,000 to $1,500 a month rent. If that is a reasonable expectation for that time of year? I will be staying by myself. During this time I plan on travelling throughout greater Phoenix, Tucson, Sierra Vista, etc. looking for a place to live, and home for sale. If all goes well? I would return to Pa. next April, and tie up loose ends, and sell my home here. Then make the move out to AZ. fulltime. I am also in a position thank God! That I could keep my home back here. And purchase a winter home or condo in AZ. if I choose to? But in the meantime, I`m primarily looking for a winter accommodations in my price range for next winter. And and all advice, is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
That is the high snowbird season, and completely furnished units go in the $1500 and up range on a monthly basis until May.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,861 times
Here's how I'm trying to do it. I use Phoenix Arizona as my base tax address while I work for up to a year in a different city and get a tax break. Then change jobs for another year. Keeps the tax break going. I rent also where I work. I'm about fourteen years from retirement age but hope to retire after eighteen years. So my snow-birding is basically to get back to Phoenix three weekends a month and on winter solstice break, but get back to Phoenix more than once per month from June 1 to August 31. The nice thing is it builds up frequent flier miles.

When I really retire I hope to stay in Phoenix from mid-October to mid-April and spend the other part of the year in the central coast part of California. Probably 183 consecutive days in Arizona and 182 days in California. There are tax reasons for that!

Oh and my Phoenix rent is $980 per month. I rent it all year. But it's 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, full kitchen, and full W/D and in a gated apartment complex. So the figure of $1500 seems pretty steep. Maybe you'd consider West 6th in Tempe if you like to pay out a lot.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,735,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoru View Post
I would like to spend 2-3 months starting in Jan. 2013 in the greater Phoenix area. I was looking for reasonable accommodations for that time frame. Say something between $1,000 to $1,500 a month rent. If that is a reasonable expectation for that time of year? I will be staying by myself. During this time I plan on travelling throughout greater Phoenix, Tucson, Sierra Vista, etc. looking for a place to live, and home for sale. If all goes well? I would return to Pa. next April, and tie up loose ends, and sell my home here. Then make the move out to AZ. fulltime. I am also in a position thank God! That I could keep my home back here. And purchase a winter home or condo in AZ. if I choose to? But in the meantime, I`m primarily looking for a winter accommodations in my price range for next winter. And and all advice, is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Peak snowbird season are the three months you listed- January, February, and March and finding something for around $1500/ month that is furnished is near impossible. If you want to be in a safe neighborhood or in a neighborhood primarily surrounded by fellow snowbirds, you need to bump your budget up to at least $2000/ month and possibly go as high as $2500 for something completely furnished. Even in the 55+ communities, a furnished park model in those three months will be rented between $2000-$2500/ month with many renters wanting someone to rent for the FULL three months.

I've helped different family/friends transition to the snowbird lifestyle over the years and many are always shocked at how much rent is for a few months during peak season...which is why many end up buying instead of renting.

You need to reevaluate your price range a bit, I don't think you'll find much for $1500 that comes furnished for peak season.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,263,756 times
You're going to have a hard time finding availability for January 2013 at this point. Most places are reserved a year or more in advance. You need to find something now which is going to be tough.

My in-laws are trying to find something in Phoenix for March (for after a tennis tourney in Palm Desert, CA they will be attending) and they have been trying for months without luck.

Don't let the listings on VRBO and sites like that fool you, my in-laws have called dozens and dozens of listings on that site that show availability and when the person answers it is always the same "sorry that was rented a year ago".

Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Oh and my Phoenix rent is $980 per month. I rent it all year. But it's 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, full kitchen, and full W/D and in a gated apartment complex. So the figure of $1500 seems pretty steep. Maybe you'd consider West 6th in Tempe if you like to pay out a lot.
Howard, the $980 you pay is for renting it all year. If you were to rent it only during the season it would probably be $1500 +.

My seasonal condo is $1,000 for an annual lease, but $1,600 per month if rented only during the high season.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,861 times
Makes sense. I'm thinking of eventually renting an apartment in the financial district of San Francisco in a few years (all year) but leaving it vacant when I'm in Phoenix for the cool season. Current rent on a place I like there is $3,000. At that point I'd be a Phoenix home owner (believe it or not) and leave the Phoenix home vacant (or occupied by relatives when I'm away from the heat). This is my plan five years from now! Other option is Santa Cruz instead of S.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Howard, the $980 you pay is for renting it all year. If you were to rent it only during the season it would probably be $1500 +.

My seasonal condo is $1,000 for an annual lease, but $1,600 per month if rented only during the high season.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM

44,698 posts, read 61,862,613 times
OP, since you're retired and a winter visitor check out the Sun Cities where you can find rents easily in your requirements. Sun City and Sun City West has 1000's of winter visitors annually and there are generally plenty of rentals. Heck you can even buy a condo or duplex for $50,000 to $100,000.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM

550 posts, read 1,132,339 times
The monthly rents I have seen here in Sun City Festival are around 1,800/1,900$ during the high season. It also depends on the size of the home. Maybe there are smaller homes for rent that cost less.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM

175 posts, read 492,987 times
I have to agree, I have a home that I rent to snowbirds. $1500/month will be very hard to find during the peak period. I rent my home for $2300/month and it's usually rent one year in advance.
Good luck...another good website is Kijiji Canada, a lot of Canadians rent there homes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area