Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM

56 posts, read 156,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Scottsdale tends to be a little more expensive overall ... but remember that you often get what you pay for, which is safer neighborhoods, a higher caliber of neighbors<snip>
Higher caliber? Really? If you mean most have money along with an overly inflated sense of importance, then yeah, higher caliber...or maybe you're referring to the total lack of diversity.

And I'm speaking as one who lived there for 10 years then couldn't take it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM

56 posts, read 156,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
guessing that you may be working in the Scotts Airpark area, you may also want to think about the Desert Ridge area of NE Phx....it's centered around N Tatum and 101 and N of there....large area....

you may also want to look around the Cactus/Tatum/Shea (Paradise Valley Mall) area in NE Phx (google map it)....very convenient (and busy) area with a ton of everything you need (stores) to live your entire life....lots of apartment choices....

if you're working normal business hours, you may want to avoid a 101 commute from areas S of N Scotts....keep it simple!
Good advice. Also Google Greenway Rd for apartments (just west of Scottsdale). Greenway is not a heavily used road that goes right into the center of the Airpark. Commute would be a breeze.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffitude View Post
Higher caliber? Really? If you mean most have money along with an overly inflated sense of importance, then yeah, higher caliber...or maybe you're referring to the total lack of diversity.

And I'm speaking as one who lived there for 10 years then couldn't take it anymore.
I beg to differ. Scottsdale has quite a bit of diversity for being a suburb. South Scottsdale is a combination of middle & working class, and isn't exactly wealthy. Old Town & downtown have the shopping, nightlife, and an active club/bar scene. There are even some older working class neighborhoods near downtown with mixed ethnicity. Further north, there is plenty of fine dining, executive styled office buildings, and a mix of gated communities & ranch styled homes. Also consider that those with money to blow freely who frequent Scottsdale's upscale eateries & boutiques might not even live in Scottsdale.

As far as higher caliber, I was mainly referring to the ones who buy homes for smart reasons, such as the quality of construction instead of just a lower price for a cheap slab of stucco. Higher caliber people want safe areas, and they work hard to keep their homes & neighborhoods safe. Higher caliber also refers to homeowners who maintain their properties regularly: mow their grass, keep it green, clear the weeds, add a coat of paint when needed, etc. They don't park their vehicles in their yards, and they don't clutter their porches or patios with trash & old useless items. Higher caliber people don't let their dogs or cats wander loosely around the neighborhoods, nor do they let their children have free reign of the neighborhoods so they can cause trouble. Things like that don't necessarily require a person to have money or an overly inflated attitude.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM

555 posts, read 863,429 times
I love how Scottsdale is always dumped on. Everybody who has a 'bad' experience here always makes it known and interjects it into posts (even when not relevant). I work full time, have a vehicle and live PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK. I have lived i S. Scottsdale for 3 years and still enjoy it. If you are single (like myself) and have a decent job (something more than assistant drive-thru manager), you can make it here.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,335,525 times
Three years worth of "Neighborhoods We Love" descriptions:

Neighborhoods We Love - Phoenix Magazine

Best Phoenix Neighborhoods - Phoenix Magazine

2010 Best Places to Live - Phoenix Magazine

Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM

34 posts, read 52,431 times
Here's my perspective after living here for a whole week. I'm a 30 year old male and moved to Scottsdale near Cactus and the 101. The area is really nice, seems very safe, is close to any store you could ever want to go to, but you will be the youngest person around except for the rich high school kids. Anywhere I go near home, I feel like I'm the only one without white hair. With a couple exceptions, it's like living in a retirement village. Even the bars nearby that I've been to are a MUCH older crowd. If you end up in Scottsdale, I would stay further south.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM

606 posts, read 1,607,553 times
If I was 25 and single again, I would definitely want to live in Tempe!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Here's my perspective after living here for a whole week. I'm a 30 year old male and moved to Scottsdale near Cactus and the 101. The area is really nice, seems very safe, is close to any store you could ever want to go to, but you will be the youngest person around except for the rich high school kids. Anywhere I go near home, I feel like I'm the only one without white hair. With a couple exceptions, it's like living in a retirement village. Even the bars nearby that I've been to are a MUCH older crowd. If you end up in Scottsdale, I would stay further south.
Kierland is further north of where you are, and that's a much younger, more vibrant area. Shopping and dining are a lot better as well. I think a lot of it depends on the individual neighborhood which varies from area to area. It doesn't always mean going further south in Scottsdale to find a younger or more diverse crowd ... although that does make a difference in some cases.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,090,572 times
Agree. If you go up near Kierland/Scottsdale Quarter there is definitely a younger crowd, or even make the 15-20 minute trek up to Desert Ridge. Plenty of younger folks up there!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM

48 posts, read 90,644 times
There are a lot of nice areas in Tempe south of US 60, not the college crowd at all. I would avoid Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area