Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the best area to look into, given our criteria?
Phoenix 2 25.00%
Mesa 1 12.50%
Tempe 2 25.00%
Gilbert 1 12.50%
Chandler 1 12.50%
Scottsdale 3 37.50%
Glendale 1 12.50%
Other- Please let me know! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,924 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving out of the frozen tundra that is Minnesota! We are hoping to move this August/September 2014. I'd love to get some detailed information about the areas in and around Phoenix to help us figure out the best place to live! We'd like to be no further than 20-30 minutes of downtown Phoenix. Ideally we'd like a 2 bedroom apartment, but with our price range of $500-$800 a month, we'd be fine with a roomy one bedroom. People are usually so vague in their posts that they don't get the feedback they're probably looking for, so I'm just gonna put everything I'm thinking and hope you guys can help me out!

A little bit about us to help narrow the options:
-Both 23 years old and just finished college (no jobs lined up yet- want to get settled first!)
-Love to have fun; very spontaneous (love nightlife, music, sports, dining, hiking)
-We have a cat
-We have 2 cars
-Not planning on having kids anytime soon
-Want to be in a SAFE area/neighborhood
-Looking to spend between $500-$800 on a one or two bedroom
-Want to be somewhat near others our age (don't want to end up in an old folks community) but we don't mind the suburb areas either
-Don't want to be right on campus, also don't want to live somewhere with too many college students

I've searched hundreds of apartments around the area, but hearing reviews and firsthand experience would be much better and more reliable (I can tell a lot of the websites are biased and don't tell you everything you SHOULD know). I'd like to know names of apartment buildings that fit our criteria.
Here's what we're hoping to find in our new home:
-1 or 2 bedrooms
-Washer/Dryer IN UNIT (no community laundry facilities)
-Air Conditioning
-Wireless Internet
-Walk-in Closet
-Pool/Hot Tub
-Fitness Room
-Patio/Balcony
-Dishwasher
-Cats allowed
-Parking/Garage available
-Alarm system/security
-Newer place/Renovated (not the out-dated looking units)
-SAFE AREA (I don't think I can stress that enough ha)

I know I might sound picky, but I'm just trying to get as specific as possible so we can narrow our search as much as possible!! And, I've found that these are pretty standard criteria in many of the places we've looked into, so I don't think it's too much to ask! We're going to be spending a week down there in May and I'd like to have places lined up beforehand to visit.

Your feedback is much appreciated!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

640 posts, read 957,842 times
If I were you, I would want to be living near Downtown Scottsdale, but you will be lucky to find a decent 1 bedroom for $800 in a good area that meets most of your criteria. You will probably have to up your budget to $1,000 to get all of your requirements in a good place.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,924 times
We would definitely consider upping our budget to $1000 if the place is nice and safe enough! I've heard great things about Scottsdale and that would probably be our first choice, if we are able to afford it of course! Thank you for your input, we will definitely be looking into Downtown Scottsdale a little more

Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I think you might have to raise it for Tempe south of Broadway (which gets you away from the campus) or for Chandler, both of which would be good choices for what you are looking for. I'm not sure, as I'm no expert on rental figures. If you do a search here, there have been some discussions of some south Tempe apartment complexes, particuarly those off Grove Parkway west of the Kyrene Rd./Hardy Drive area. I don't remember the names, but there's more than one thread where those are discussed. I don't recall what the rent figures were, or their exact amenities, but you may find that info in those threads.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:47 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Two really good suggestions out there

I would also consider a couple other places - Arrowhead area tucked in around 83rd and Bell, a lot of apartments there and pretty convenient

Also the Tatum/101 area - a lot of options in that area as well

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
I'm 24 and live in Tempe and was raised in northern Minnesota. I have to agree with observer53. The northern part of Tempe is the most dense area of the entire valley (maybe the entire state of AZ?) and of course it's very noisy - there's almost always some sort of event going on. The farther south you go, however, it gets more suburban and quiet. I would have to agree and say anything south of Broadway is a great option. I'm not familiar with much down that way - I live near ASU/downtown.

Tempe is really easy to get around. I've successfully centered myself in Tempe and got a job just a couple miles from my apartment so I won't have to leave here for anything. If you don't have a car or are looking to not use it as much for whatever reason, Tempe has excellent transit options. Tempe has a free neighborhood bus system that operates from 7:00AM-10:30PM every 15-30 minutes called Orbit consisting of 5 lines: Mars, Venus, Earth, Mercury, Jupiter. Metro bus is also quite good in Tempe - however traveling outside of here can occasionally be tricky and sometimes make you go crazy, Metro light rail has 6 stops in Tempe and is a pretty extensive line at a length of 20 miles traveling from Mesa to 19th & Montebello in Phoenix.

There's quite a bit of development going on in Tempe. It's growing quite fast, so it's an exciting place to be and watch all of these things take shape. You may want to look into jobs at State Farm - they're in the process of creating a regional HQ in Tempe and have a lot of jobs open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area