Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 16,396 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I will be visiting Arizona in November, and we are very interested in visiting the Hopi villages. We would really like to purchase an authentic Kachina Doll. I have read that you can purchase authentic dolls from surrounding art galleries and the Heard Museum, but I would really prefer to buy directly from an artist. Is this possible? Any suggestions on where to go? What should I expect to spend by purchasing directly on the reservation?

Thank you, we're really looking forward to returning to Arizona and love the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Never bought any Hopi Art but I would expect it would be cheaper on the reservation as opposed to buying at an store in the valley.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...where-buy.html

Shopping in The Hopi Reservation at Frommer's

Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
The Heard will likely have a commission attached so price will be higher. When you arrive I would search for art festivals that might be going on. They often have Native American artists. If you're visiting the Mesa's or any part of the Hopi Reservation you will likely have opportunities to buy. Various tours operate out of the Hopi Cultural Center with stops at artisan locations. Expect to spend some money. Kachina dolls are not cheap. Even the small figurine style dolls. Depending on size and artist the range could easily be $250-1500.

By all means visit The Heard. They have Barry Goldwater's kachina collection. It is amazing.

Please report back after your trip here. I'd love to hear about your trip and your kachina purchases. I hope to make my first trip up to the Hopi & Navajo lands by the end of the year. Moon has a great Navajo & Hopi travel guide worth checking out.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Here's more information that may be useful for your Hopi experience:

Welcome to Hopi Cultural Center.com

Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
the best native artists already have trusted buyers who occasionally come by their place (home), buy their work, and then head off to the fancy galleries in Santa Fe, Sedona, etc....

you probably won't be able to just drop in on an artist at home unannounced and find a bargain....

the Hopi Cultural Center and other respected reservation businesses will have authentic, quality stuff, but don't expect an utter bargain....as always, respect the local traditions, don't arrive and demand a deal, slow down and take it easy....time moves slower up there....

the links in the above threads are very good....

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,743 times
Check out the VIP passport at the bottom of this site, for discounts: Hopi Arts Trail - Home

Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,396 times
Thank you to everyone for the responses so far!

My goal wasn't to find a deal, I apologize if it came across that way. The reason I'm interested in purchasing from a local artist is for both the experience and so that the artist received as much of the cost as possible. Of course if it costs less than the art galleries that's a huge plus, but that's not my goal in purchasing a doll.

It sounds like it might be best to find an art fair or event and plan my visit around one of those. Any suggestions on any great ones this fall?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etno View Post
Thank you to everyone for the responses so far!

My goal wasn't to find a deal, I apologize if it came across that way. The reason I'm interested in purchasing from a local artist is for both the experience and so that the artist received as much of the cost as possible. Of course if it costs less than the art galleries that's a huge plus, but that's not my goal in purchasing a doll.

It sounds like it might be best to find an art fair or event and plan my visit around one of those. Any suggestions on any great ones this fall?
The 29th Annual Mesa Pow Wow is coming up in October: 29 Annual Roy Track Memorial Mesa Pow-Wow | Native American Events I went a few years ago and found it very interesting. Numerous tribes are represented. Great entertainment, food and some shopping. Of course, not a lot, as you would find in a gallery, but a very wide variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area