Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 21,078 times

Advertisements

I have a rental house next door. There is a tree in the backyard that looks like it hasn't been maintained since it was planted 50 years ago. It is also never watered.

So everyday after work I have to spend at least 1/2 hour sweeping my patio and skimming all the leaves out of my pool. I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years now and I'm sick of it.

I've said something to the landlord and he just shrugs it off.

Is there any kind of city code I could use against this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
I feel your pain. One of our rental properties used to have a neighbor's huge, bark shedding, limb-falling, eucalyptus tree that caused regular damage to the fence and pool. It actually cost us thousands in repairs over the years, including repairing the pool equipment, replacing the plaster, etc. I looked into city codes (Peoria), state laws, bylaws. Even asked a lawyer about it. Nothing we could do except trim the part that actually hung over the fence (literally impossible because the the tree was so tall you'd need a cherry picker parked in the pool). The neighbor didn't care but he allowed us to hire our own landscapers to trim the tree once in a while at our own expen$e. Eventually the house got a new owner, and the first thing they did was to remove that tree.

That was Peoria. What city are you in? There is a chance, albeit slim, that your city may have bylaws covering this. Does your HOA, if you have one, have anything in its' CC&R's?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 21,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
I feel your pain. One of our rental properties used to have a neighbor's huge, bark shedding, limb-falling, eucalyptus tree that caused regular damage to the fence and pool. It actually cost us thousands in repairs over the years, including repairing the pool equipment, replacing the plaster, etc. I looked into city codes (Peoria), state laws, bylaws. Even asked a lawyer about it. Nothing we could do except trim the part that actually hung over the fence (literally impossible because the the tree was so tall you'd need a cherry picker parked in the pool). The neighbor didn't care but he allowed us to hire our own landscapers to trim the tree once in a while at our own expen$e. Eventually the house got a new owner, and the first thing they did was to remove that tree.

That was Peoria. What city are you in? There is a chance, albeit slim, that your city may have bylaws covering this. Does your HOA, if you have one, have anything in its' CC&R's?
I'm in Phoenix near 40th St. & Thunderbird...no HOA. I just want to cut it down.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
If the tree is truly dead, you can report it to the city here.

Checked city code, and did find this:
39-7 Exterior premises and vacant land.

D. Weeds, bushes, trees and other vegetation. All exterior property areas shall be kept free from dry vegetation, tumbleweeds, weeds, bushes and tall grass and trees which present a visual blight upon the area, which may harbor insect or rodent infestations and dry vegetation, or which may likely become a fire hazard or result in a condition which may threaten the health and safety or the economic welfare of adjacent property owners or occupants.
The premises shall be free from visual blight; potential fire hazards; dead trees and branches; dead palm fronds within ten feet of the ground, a structure, a fence or wall, or of any combustible other than the tree from which the fronds have grown; lawn grass higher than six inches; tumbleweeds; or weeds higher than six inches tall.

The contact info to the City of Phoenix PD Code Compliance unit is here:

Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Some people are good neighbors, and some are not.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
I have the exact same problem. A huge tree right on the fence in the neighbors yard. It's about 60+ feet tall and it drops leaves and bark in my pool. The bark in particular leaves dark brown stains in my plaster pool and takes a week or so for those stains to go away.
Many of the branches overhangs the fence into my yard almost to the ground. It's also destroying the block wall in that area. I've talked to the neighbors and they say there is no problem and I'm welcome to cut the limbs on my side of the fence but I don't feel that's my responsibility. They feel otherwise. I'm toying with limbing the thing and tossing the waste back into their yard.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I have the exact same problem. A huge tree right on the fence in the neighbors yard. It's about 60+ feet tall and it drops leaves and bark in my pool. The bark in particular leaves dark brown stains in my plaster pool and takes a week or so for those stains to go away.
Many of the branches overhangs the fence into my yard almost to the ground. It's also destroying the block wall in that area. I've talked to the neighbors and they say there is no problem and I'm welcome to cut the limbs on my side of the fence but I don't feel that's my responsibility. They feel otherwise. I'm toying with limbing the thing and tossing the waste back into their yard.

Sounds like you are toying with an arrest.

But I have to ask..... Was the tree there when you moved in? Was the tree there before your pool?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sounds like you are toying with an arrest.

But I have to ask..... Was the tree there when you moved in? Was the tree there before your pool?
Yes, the tree was there before I moved in but no, it wasn't there when the pool was built. I wouldn't toss the limbs over the fence but I'd sure like to. The house that has that tree, has pools with all three neighbors. Me on the back and the two neighbors on the side. We all complain about it. The tree hasn't been trimmed ever. It's just huge and one of these days, the wind will blow it down onto one of our homes. Who will be responsible at that point?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 PM

The owner, but as you said the tree was there when you moved in. It is on their property, right? You must have a really old pool. Some neighbors are good neighbors. Others, not so much.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
Standard law holds that one is free to trim branches and roots that extend from a neighbor's tree onto one's own property, so long as it is done without damaging or killing the tree.

I would not throw the branches back over the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area