Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 04:49 PM

36 posts, read 44,627 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired "Boomers" thinking of leaving the too often cold and/or wet Pacific Northwest (about time, for me, as I hate the cold). I think we'd be wise to "try before we buy) in terms of spend at least a portion of a winter and summer in the area, perhaps by renting a furnished apartment. Ideally, be located in a "walkable" (aka high walk store) area with ready access to restaurants, shops, bars, markets, entertainment... nice, too, would be ready access to trails, walking paths, bicycle paths. I've liked what I've read about Old Stockdale and suspect that there are other areas to consider.

We're non-golfers. Aging (75) but not dead yet.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to parts of town to consider in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area. I'd also appreciate suggestions as to agencies/agents that might have leads as to furnished apartments (one bedroom is fine, with garage access, ideally with access to a pool for use during that hot spring/summer period).

Last edited by gumster; 12-21-2022 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: added middle paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 05:48 PM

246 posts, read 120,355 times
OK , So nobody wastes any time passing on useless info because the price is too high. What do you expect to pay?

You will be lucky to find anything under 1,500. As they run from 1,550 to 2,500.I just googled, had a pool and allowed a pet.
I am curious is that what one would expect to pay for a 1 bedroom Apt. ?
This was The Scottsdale area. to Tempe area. Google exactly what you want at your price. I am thinking you may be hoping to catch a deal from someone on the forum here. Good Luck, leave no stone unturned , they are rare I am sure and they will be snatched up by he who hesitates.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
OP, it sounds like you want to come to Scottsdale during high season, which starts in early February.

Snowbirds from all over come to play golf and partake in the many events. They all need a place to stay. It can be a madhouse.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:45 PM

6,754 posts, read 5,056,845 times
January through March is the busy time of year. Rates for accommodations are much higher during those months, and I expect finding something for this coming spring would be difficult.

More practical would be to arrive, for example, in July and stay through October or November. You’ll have a much better selection of accommodations to choose from, and you will experience two full-on summer months.

Zillow has short term rental listings. With a quick search I see a furnished 1br for $1895/mo during May-Sept, and $2095/mo during Oct-Dec, plus utilities. Minimum 60 days.

I like the Kierland area, but there are several nice locations to choose from.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-21-2022 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-22-2022, 12:01 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
Check out the area near Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter. Most of the Phx area is not walkable but this area has exploded in recent years with a lot of midrise condo complexes, making it more dense with residents, upscale shopping, and restaurants. By extension, I guess that makes it more walkable. Scottsdale and Greenway are the cross streets you'd be looking at.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Play_Poker View Post
OK , So nobody wastes any time passing on useless info because the price is too high. What do you expect to pay?

You will be lucky to find anything under 1,500. As they run from 1,550 to 2,500.I just googled, had a pool and allowed a pet.
I am curious is that what one would expect to pay for a 1 bedroom Apt. ?
This was The Scottsdale area. to Tempe area. Google exactly what you want at your price. I am thinking you may be hoping to catch a deal from someone on the forum here. Good Luck, leave no stone unturned , they are rare I am sure and they will be snatched up by he who hesitates.
Good question: I'm fortunate financially. $3000 would be fine, particularly when compared to the rates evident on VRBO/AirBNB (with their assorted added fees ).

Old 12-22-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, it sounds like you want to come to Scottsdale during high season, which starts in early February.

Snowbirds from all over come to play golf and partake in the many events. They all need a place to stay. It can be a madhouse.
That's what I figured. Realistically, I'd be making reservations for 2023, for up to 6 months, perhaps starting November or December so that I can experience not only the "good months" but also some of the "furnace".

Old 12-22-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
January through March is the busy time of year. Rates for accommodations are much higher during those months, and I expect finding something for this coming spring would be difficult.

More practical would be to arrive, for example, in July and stay through October or November. You’ll have a much better selection of accommodations to choose from, and you will experience two full-on summer months.

Zillow has short term rental listings. With a quick search I see a furnished 1br for $1895/mo during May-Sept, and $2095/mo during Oct-Dec, plus utilities. Minimum 60 days.

I like the Kierland area, but there are several nice locations to choose from.
Funny, but I'd not thought of looking at Zillow for rentals! Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that by being willing to commit to a period as long as 6 months I might find greater availability than I would by seeking to rent only during the high snowbird season.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Check out the area near Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter. Most of the Phx area is not walkable but this area has exploded in recent years with a lot of midrise condo complexes, making it more dense with residents, upscale shopping, and restaurants. By extension, I guess that makes it more walkable. Scottsdale and Greenway are the cross streets you'd be looking at.
With respect to the Scottsdale and Greenway cross street suggestion, Thank you for being so specific!

Portland, Oregon, where I currently live, is so built-up that much of the city is "walkable".

(and, one of my pet peeves, though it is discribed as having a "high bike score', biking is taking one's live in one's hand due to traffic, potholes, glass and trash near curbs, ...)

Old 12-22-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumster View Post
Good question: I'm fortunate financially. $3000 would be fine, particularly when compared to the rates evident on VRBO/AirBNB (with their assorted added fees ).
Thus, I'm looking for a nice furnished apartment/house/condo, ideally in one of the the areas we've been discussing, for a 6 month rental, for up to $3500/month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area