Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,786,205 times

Advertisements

Milgard makes a noise buffer window for freeway homes. It is a bit more than the regular window, but we did use them once upon a time and what a difference they made. I am not sure they still have them, but maybe worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM

611 posts, read 2,313,537 times
We would never buy a home near a highway because:
1) lower appreciation increase (if at all in some areas)
2) negative noise level inside home and outside in yard
3) harder to re-sell (Most people won't buy near a highway. This is important because even though a person may buy w/ a plan to stay a long time; however, situations can change requiring to sell home sooner than originally desired)

Old 10-10-2007, 06:50 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Interesting points Great Joy. So, let's say if your neighborhood is visible but you can't really pinpoint your home? Or, what if there's a good "buffer" between your home and the hwy, like there's empty land that won't get built on or there is a park? What if the neighborhood is hardly visible, which I know is a little vague but I'll let you presume the "degree" of the word hardly? I'm very curious b'c we will be buying a home next year and we want to live near the hwy. How close is "too close"?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 PM

First, to help reply to your question, I think it would be best to explain my definition of "near a highway". It would be:
1) seeing the highway from your house (or visa versa)
and/or
2) hearing the road noise when outside the home. In my opinion, it would be really bad if a person can hear the road noise inside the house.

Choosing a home that has one (bad) or both (really bad) of the two points above are "too close to the highway" in my opinion.

If there's a park between the road and the home, then the park would have to be huge. (And, we wouldn't want to see or hear according to both points above.)

If there's empty land, I wouldn't buy even if "they" say it won't get built on because the property owner's mind can change and then who knows what you will have next to your home/neighborhood. We've seen that happen.

I believe it all comes down to most people will be much less likely to buy a home with a "negative". "Negatives" are road noise, airport noise, power lines, cell towers, bad odors from manufacturers or farms, poorly maintained homes or buildings nearby, high crime area, poor school rating area, etc.

If you're considering a home or neighborhood that you can't see or hear the highway, then I think you're fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
bad odors from manufacturers or farms
Thank goodness we are renting but this is the first time we've ever moved to an area where this is an issue. Buckeye has some major stink! I like the seclusion but holy cow does the cow manuer and chicken farm smell awful. When DH searched for a home to rent, I asked him to look at the cars parked outside, if there were power lines near the house and a host of other questions but I never thought to ask about the "smell" of the neighborhood. We've gotten "used to it" by now but the new car smell sure went away fast. *shucks*

Great advice - thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 AM

683 posts, read 2,656,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
T I like the seclusion but holy cow does the cow manuer and chicken farm smell awful.
I love the smell of a farm. Kind of weird, but there's just something about that rich earthy smell that I like. I definitely like it better than the smell of car exhaust.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM

foma, yes it is disappointing how quickly the new car smell vanishes!

Also, just to help clarify my comment about empty land, I was referring to empty land between a neighborhood and a highway if it is not owned by the developer because over time empty land next to a highway in/near a city is most often sold and developed.

When we've househunted in the past, we've always asked questions about empty land and the future plans with that regardless of location (even if it's not near a highway). We feel most comfortable when the same developer who is building the neighborhood also owns the empty land because they normally have set future plans for the empty land (future park, school, retail complex, nature preserve, etc). City websites also provide great map info of their future land development.

Best wishes to you in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area