Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM

17 posts, read 30,227 times

Advertisements

I moved to Chandler from Missouri about three weekday ago. I go grocery shopping at Walmart once a week. First time in Tempe a man approaches me in the parking lot stating he ran out of gas and asks me for money. Then tonight at Chandler Walmart it happens again. Is this a common way for people to make money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Yes, don't fall for it. I've been approached with the same thing several times and will not give money to anyone that solicits me as there are way to many scams out there these days.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Yes. The "reasons" given are often the car ran out of gas, broke down, they need bus fare to Flagstaff, etc. All scams.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM

82 posts, read 194,242 times
I was approached tonight in the parking lot of Wal-Mart, too. It startled me because I was just sitting in the car with my 7 year old and I was turned around talking to him. She knocked at my window so I rolled it down (shouldn't have) and she asked me for money.....said she and her husband had run out of gas.

By th way, it's not just your Wal-Mart that this is happening at.....I live in MO.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
OP: Just in case you're reluctant to believe it's a scam, here are two other recent threads that are similar. [1] [2]

Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM

17 posts, read 30,227 times
I figured it was, I was just curious. I am starting to get a little concerned. I'm 2 for 3 with people approaching my kids in dark parking lots. And just before we went to Walmart we "explored" a new part of the city (downtown) Chandler only to come home and find out there was a shooting right as we left the area....but I guess crime can happen anywhere.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
One of the most creative scams I saw was a guy that would knock on your front door late at night. He would claim that he was a "neighbor from around the corner" and his wife/girlfriend was going into a diabetic shock. She of course is sitting in the front seat of their car acting sick. Needed money to run down to the local 24 hour drugstore to buy insulin. But don't worry, he gets paid tomorrow and will stop by on his way home from work to repay you.

The other scam I have seen in Arizona was the classic delivery van in the Walmart parking lot selling stereo speakers scam. Usually target young men, they stop you in the parking lot and tell you that they were delivering some speakers for a local audio company and just happened to realize that they had an extra set. They show you an invoice that claims that the speakers are worth $500 or more for the pair. But they are willing to part with them for $150 if you buy it off the back of the truck right now.

Unfortunately Arizona seems to attract more than it's fair share of scam artists, hustlers and grifters. No matter what someone's story is do not give money to random people on the street or in a parking lot. If someone asks me I offer to give them directions to the closest food bank or rescue mission, if they legitimately need help these organizations will help them.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Yes, same happened to me in the Chandler Albertson's parking lot. I think they've about used up this part of town. lol

Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
More of the Same Ole . . . SAME OLE.

While working on San Francisco's Union Square many years ago, I was always amazed at the STUNTS, WILD TALES and RIDICULOUS EXCUSES these Scumbags come up with in order to avoid GETTING A JOB.

Unfortunately, it's everywhere . . . not just Phoenix and not new.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
While working in my front yard one day, I gave $20 to a motorist who in a very authoritative voice, told me his name (an alias) and claimed he was nearly out of gas and was starting to the airport (over 1 hour away) to pick up a soldier arriving after a long tour in Iraq.

He said he was housesitting for a homeowner at a certain house in the next block who was on vacation, and the owners there would repay me. When I rang that doorbell later, they had never heard of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area