Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,208 times

Advertisements

I went to the one in Glendale off of 59th I think, I got there 20 minutes before it opened and while there was quite a line, but I got in before the majority of the morning crowd. I was given an app for a new DL to fill out while I waited. Once they herded us in, I was in an out with a new license, and a new plate, in under an hour from opening time. I spent under 90 minutes total waiting, went in on a Thursday. We also went for my husbands items on a Thursday at 3pm, we were out with both his new plate and license in about an hour and a half, too. Didn't think that was too terrible for a DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM

504 posts, read 853,789 times
I was so pleasantly surprised by the MVDs in the Phoenix area when I first moved here about 8-9 years ago. You get a ticket with a number? And you get to sit down?! No standing in line for multiple hours?!! I was shocked at how not-horrible it was. Really haven't had anything close to a bad experience at any of them, but the fastest that I remember was one out in the Goodyear area.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
I was so pleasantly surprised by the MVDs in the Phoenix area when I first moved here about 8-9 years ago. You get a ticket with a number? And you get to sit down?! No standing in line for multiple hours?!! I was shocked at how not-horrible it was. Really haven't had anything close to a bad experience at any of them, but the fastest that I remember was one out in the Goodyear area.
I am required to go to the MVD three times each year to renew my car registration on three vehicles (military stationed in Arizona) and go to the Avondale location as it is the closest and every time it is close to 2 hours. I'm assuming this is the location you're talking about in the "goodyear area" and if so I wouldn't drive from Cave Creek thinking it will be faster.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM

54 posts, read 107,642 times
Been there and done that! We had an apartment in NJ and when we had to transfer a title of a car to MD and had problems they were SOOOOO pleasant. But Maryland isn't much better. And there are like 50 windows but never more than like 5-7 open. EVER. I don't get it. Sigh.

So I'm thinking we will go get our licenses done and then head on over to a third party vendor for titling? We always did that in MD and it was much easier. Except on one horse trailer but that's another story! OMG the registration fees on horse trailers in AZ!!! Actually, the registration fees on every vehicle!! We need a mortgage just to register our cars here. Ha ha who KNEW something could be worse than both NJ and MD combined! Welcome to Arizona huh?

Oh well, here's hoping that I have the best winter of my life and that'll make up for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree, I've used the one in N Scottsdale a couple of times now for both a new license (moved to AZ 4 months ago) and registration and the wait hasn't been terrible and - in a totally new experience for me - the staff was friendly!

You haven't experienced slow and rude until you deal with the NJ DMV!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM

54 posts, read 107,642 times
Ha ha ha- YES it is a trick question! I guess they are a misery in every state!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-RE-Addict View Post
Is this a trick question? They are all slow!!! But seriously I use the one in Chandler. Not as well known as the others and usually pretty quick.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,999,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa627 View Post
Been there and done that! We had an apartment in NJ and when we had to transfer a title of a car to MD and had problems they were SOOOOO pleasant. But Maryland isn't much better. And there are like 50 windows but never more than like 5-7 open. EVER. I don't get it. Sigh.

So I'm thinking we will go get our licenses done and then head on over to a third party vendor for titling? We always did that in MD and it was much easier. Except on one horse trailer but that's another story! OMG the registration fees on horse trailers in AZ!!! Actually, the registration fees on every vehicle!! We need a mortgage just to register our cars here. Ha ha who KNEW something could be worse than both NJ and MD combined! Welcome to Arizona huh?

Oh well, here's hoping that I have the best winter of my life and that'll make up for it!
I would definately go to N Scottsdale for the licenses. They are pretty fast with that. There's a third party office on Cave Creek Rd just south of the 101. I stopped there last week (couldn't do my transaction though, I forgot some paperwork like an idiot) and there was no one else there at about 4:15pm. They close at 5 and don't take checks.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,999,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa627 View Post
Actually, the registration fees on every vehicle!! We need a mortgage just to register our cars here. Ha ha who KNEW something could be worse than both NJ and MD combined! Welcome to Arizona huh?

Yes that was a shocker for us as well. Lucky us, we had bought 2 new cars just before moving to AZ. Over $800 to register them here.

We're hoping our first winter here will be great as well!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,382 times
Just go to the closest one to you. No reason to spend an hour driving around the valley to save a few minutes.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 PM

88 posts, read 269,653 times
Flagstaff. Took only 2 min to get my driver license renewed.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,082,209 times
Ive been to the one on 27th ave just north of 101, and for the most parts its pretty quick. No more than an hour to finish everything. Theres always a guy with a hotdog/drink cart out front, and thanks to the loudspeakers you dont have to be right inside. If they are packed theres usually not enough seats to sit down, and it starts to get a little rank in there. Not as nice as the other one..

Ive also been to the one in Scottsdale on Paradise ln. That one was definately the scottsdale version of the DMV; big open area, plenty of seats, nice AC, marble everywhere. Like the other one Ive been to, you go in, tell the person at the greeting desk what you are there for, and they give you a letter code with number. Ive seen the numbers arent completely based on when you get them or what you are doing, (not sure how they get to the next one), Then you wait. Both places were about 30-40 minute wait, then a helpful person at the counter.

If you werent getting licenses Id say just do it at one of the many 3rd party servicing centers; or maybe youd want to at least get the vehicle registration done there, but you will need to go to the MVD for the new licenses. To me both of those places have been good, but what (the employees have told me before several times) is;

It will NOT be quick;
The first couple and the last couple days of the month.
Monday and Friday are the busy days.
Also early morning and late afternoon are busy too,

The suggestion I got (if you EVER need to go to the DMV is)
Tues-Thurs (non end/beginning of the month) and try to go when everyone is ending there lunch break 2-2:30 (is supposedly the "dead time".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area