Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM

148 posts, read 266,222 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, We are a family of four, our two boys are 6 and 11. We are planning to move out to Arizona for next summer and here is what is important to us;

An area with very low crime
A rated schools ( absolutley a must )
Friendly neighbourhoods
Close to major shopping with good grocery stores.
Nice bike paths and parks, my husband loves to go mountain biking and road cycling.
Lots of good activities for the kids, a good community centre where the kids can have swimming lessons and join sports clubs.

I am very nervous about making the wrong decison especially having kids involved in this big move, we are coming from Ontario Canada.

What we have learned so far from research, I may be wrong though !

Chandler seems to be a good community and after doing alot of research about schools the two that seem to be the best are Kyrene Aprende Middle school ( for the 11 year old ) and Kyrene de las brisas school ( for the 6 yr old ) Please tell me if I am wrong, just going off what I read. The schools seem very close together. How is the area around here for living ( zip code is 85226 ). Chandler has a big Mall which is a bonus.

We have also heard good things about Fountain Hills, but currently do not know anything about the schools.

We are also looking to buy some investment properties but we don't need to live near them, what do you believe would be good value for investment properties ?

Any advice that anyone can give me would be really really grateful !
Thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,809,453 times
Chandler and Gilbert both are good choices. Gilbert has the reputation of being one of the safest cities. However, you must remember that there is crime everywhere.

Fountain Hills is also a good choice, but with a completely different atmosphere, because it's nestled in the foothills. There is shopping and restaurants there, so it's self sufficient, but not the shopping choices of areas in Scottsdale, Gilbert and Chandler.

For property investing, it depends on your goals. If you're looking for high return from rents, then you may be a little late. If you're looking for future appreciation, it's my opinion that since we have only recently reached the bottom, that future appreciation should be a good goal. There is always risk, but when buying near the bottom, the risk is less.

I own several rental properties in Gilbert and Mesa because I want to own homes in better areas. Recently one of my clients dropped out of a short sale because the bank wanted more money. The numbers didn't meet their return on rent. So I'm taking his position and am buying the home because long term appreciation is my goal, and I view it as a good buy for that purpose. I'll still make a good rent return, but appreciation is the major factor.

One can buy properties for less money in South Phoenix and other areas like that, but I'm not fond of the areas so I don't buy there.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,522,912 times
Brisas Elementary is right across the street from one of the better city parks in the Valley, Desert Breeze. Large park, great for kids. I know someone who taught at Aprende, it is an excellent school. Chandler or neighboring south Tempe would give you the same school district. There's open enrollment, so if you provide the transportation, and the school has room, you don't need to live in the attendance boundaries for that school.

As far as the investment properties, I'll let others advise on that.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,011,942 times
At the risk of sounding like the official Anthem cheerleader...I suggest you look into Anthem. It has all the features you mentioned. You can look at the web site -> www.onlineatanthem.com

Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
At the risk of sounding like the official Anthem cheerleader...I suggest you look into Anthem. It has all the features you mentioned. You can look at the web site -> www.onlineatanthem.com
"Close to major shopping". In Anthem's case, it would depend on how you define "close" and how you define "major shopping".

Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Close to major shopping". In Anthem's case, it would depend on how you define "close" and how you define "major shopping".
True to a point, but other than the larger malls like Paradise Valley there's pretty much anything you need either in Anthem or just one or two exits down I-17 or Gavilan Peak.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,426,509 times
If Anthem is where I think it is (close to Florence), I'm not sure I would live there. It is new and it appears to have a lot of bike paths but it looks boring to me in that area....where dreams might go to die. On a more positive unofficial note I recently heard that ALA Charter Schools are building out there. They are very popular but I would not send my child there personally.
I like the Gilbert/Chandler/Scottsdale area but those are the only areas I am familiar with.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
If Anthem is where I think it is (close to Florence), I'm not sure I would live there. It is new and it appears to have a lot of bike paths but it looks boring to me in that area....where dreams might go to die. On a more positive unofficial note I recently heard that ALA Charter Schools are building out there. They are very popular but I would not send my child there personally.
I like the Gilbert/Chandler/Scottsdale area but those are the only areas I am familiar with.
There's an "Anthem" development down by Florence, but the one the others are talking about is north of Phx on 1-17.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
True to a point, but other than the larger malls like Paradise Valley there's pretty much anything you need either in Anthem or just one or two exits down I-17 or Gavilan Peak.

Sounds like the OP might want a real mall nearby, and you have to go a long way from Anthem to find one.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Nope, that's Sun City Anthem at Merrill Ranch. Same developer, different place. Although why Del Webb built two communities with such similar names in the same area is a mystery to me.

Anthem, AZ is off I-17 north of Phoenix. Near Cave Creek. Before New River. It was started around 2001, I believe and is definately not boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area