Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times

Advertisements

We had 'em a couple of different ways at the Yellow Daisy Festival @ Stone Mountain Park. I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past the texture. I'm sure they're wonderful to many as they were selling quite well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM

56 posts, read 63,566 times
I've been curious about cooking my own, but I dont' have the pot for it, unless I can do 'em in the crockpot. Never tasted them before but I've asked several Southern folks about them and they love 'em. Found several recipes for everything from plain to cajun seasoned, though there seems to be a debate over green peanuts vs. the whole, un-shelled peanuts in the bag you can get in the market (don't know if that's one and the same). I, for one, LOVE over-cooked lima beans; 'course, I eat mine mashed with lots of butter and pepper, lol! Let me know if you find any here abouts. I'd be willing to give 'em a try.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM

260 posts, read 908,891 times
Try Walmart. Go to the website and put your zip code in for your local store. I know they have them in stores around Detroit. They sell them in huge cans small cans and plastic pouches that you can heat up in the microwave.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Whole Foods Market carries them.

The Tempe and Raintree locations I believe.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM

254 posts, read 436,275 times
You'll have to excuse me, but I live in NY and never heard of boiled peanuts! Can somebody tell me what they are and how they taste? They sound good...

Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccover1 View Post
You'll have to excuse me, but I live in NY and never heard of boiled peanuts! Can somebody tell me what they are and how they taste? They sound good...
It's exactly what it sounds like. You take some raw (young) peanuts, boil them in salt water. It tastes.. salty.

It's a Southern thing, for the most part.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,635 times
They can be found at Walmart on Estrella Blvd (just south of I-10) in Goodyear for $2 a can. They are located at the beginning of the aisle that has canned seasoned collard greens, cabbage, etc. Margaret Holmes is the brand. Empty can into bowl, microwave 2 minutes, drain brine and enjoy!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times
It's also a huge thing in Hawaii. Fort Ruger Market has the best. Always fresh and very tasty. If they are cooked just right, they are a treat. Cooked too long they can get mushy. I prefer to make my own so I can control "da ingredamints"

Here's a recipe I've used for a long time from my time living in the islands:

Boiled Peanuts -- Hawaiian Style
2 pounds peanuts (raw)
2 T Hawaiian salt (I prefer the pink Kauai salt, any rock salt will do)
1 star anise, any other spices you like - chili pepper water, or whatevah

Soak peanuts in lightly salted water overnight. If you put them in a cloth bag and then in the water, you can make sure they will stay covered overnight with water.

Wash peanuts until the water runs clear. Add peanuts to a quart sized pot. Make sure the peanuts are covered with at least an inch or two of water. Add salt and any other spices. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Taste for doneness. Peanut should be medium to soft, depending on your preference. Cook 30 minutes longer for a softer peanut. Let peanuts cool in the water for about an hour.

Pour off excess water. Package in tupperware or plastic bags and refrigerate. Boiled peanuts may be frozen until ready to use or eaten right away.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM

260 posts, read 908,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah View Post
They can be found at Walmart on Estrella Blvd (just south of I-10) in Goodyear for $2 a can. They are located at the beginning of the aisle that has canned seasoned collard greens, cabbage, etc. Margaret Holmes is the brand. Empty can into bowl, microwave 2 minutes, drain brine and enjoy!
We have the same kind in FL. They sell them in all the convenience stores under the name of peanut patch. I never noticed the Margaret Holmes name. They keep them in crock pots and you can buy them hot by the cup. Small cup 16 oz 1.49 large cup 32 oz 2.99. I put half spicy and half regular in a cup.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
I make my own boiled peanuts here in Phoenix. I buy raw peanuts from the bin at Sprouts and slow cook them in my crock pot for about 24 hours. I start them on high, then switch over to low for the last several hours. I add a variety of spices and they come out so delicious.. The peanuts in the bins at Sprouts are very inexpensive.. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area