Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM

76 posts, read 166,371 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
Well I have plans to visit this summer before I make the big move there. I'm not sure where exactly I want to live yet (as I don't know where my job will be) but I'll be coming to check out (again) the north/northeast phoenix area as well as tempe and scottsdale. I need some hotel ideas. I found an extended stay place for $190/week (Value Inn, I believe). It's located on N 43rd Ave & W McDowell Rd. What kind of area is this? I would like a cheap place but would like to know my car would be safe in the parking lot as well as myself.
Also I was thinking of sending out my resume to multiple places I'm interested in and letting them know when I'll be in town. How did you Phoenix transplants start your new career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Hey guys!
Well I have plans to visit this summer before I make the big move there. I'm not sure where exactly I want to live yet (as I don't know where my job will be) but I'll be coming to check out (again) the north/northeast phoenix area as well as tempe and scottsdale. I need some hotel ideas. I found an extended stay place for $190/week (Value Inn, I believe). It's located on N 43rd Ave & W McDowell Rd. What kind of area is this? I would like a cheap place but would like to know my car would be safe in the parking lot as well as myself.
Also I was thinking of sending out my resume to multiple places I'm interested in and letting them know when I'll be in town. How did you Phoenix transplants start your new career?
That's Maryvale. Many would consider that the worst part of town, I would predict you wouldn't want to live there. It's cheap, and it's close to the freeway, but it's still pretty far west for exploring Tempe and Scottsdale and pretty far south for Northeast Phoenix.

There's a lot of motels along the north end of the I-17 and some are more affordable( I believe, I don't stay in them because I live here). If you're close to where the 17 and the loop 101 meet you can use the 101 to go quickly east through North PHX and follow it's curve south toward Scottsdale and Tempe.

It's gonna be really hot. Make sure your car's AC works and drink lots of water or you can get a headache/feel sick. Have fun too, good luck!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,864 times
43rd Ave/McDowell is one of the most dangerous areas in the entire valley. Some around here will sugarcoat it for you but if you are new to the area I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
There are other options for extended stays that would be better than that location, and more centrally located.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Hey guys!
Residence Inn is near Mayo Clinic and the 101 in NE Phoenix/Scottsdale

Comfort Inn is near the 1-17 and the 101 and is reasonable. It's not a fancy hotel, but my family stayed there for a reunion event and were satisfied with it.

Both of these hotels are along the northern 101 corridor and give easy access to North/Northeast Phoenix and Scottsdale. You can also look on hotels.com and use these two hotels as reference points to find something in between.

Also - if you are flying in, I recommend you look for off-airport car rentals. I'm hearing from visitors that renting at the airport facility is a pain and quite a bit more expensive. Consider going to Priceline or Fodor's travel to find some better options.

As for jobs - consider talking with JobIng or one of the job search groups in town. Monster.com is also a good resource for the Phoenix area. This is a big city and you could be driving all over the place trying to find a job. use the time you have before you get here to do some searching on those sites. You can also try the AZ Republic classifieds. It really depends on what you're looking for. You might see if you can get some phone or Skype interviews also before you arrive.

One thing to remember, the Greater Phoenix Area is something like 585 square miles. If you get on Bell Road at the 303 in Surprise and drive on it all the way to the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation in Scottsdale, you've driven 39 miles. And from the 101 down to Mesa is about 42 miles.

If you let us know what you're looking for, there are a lot of great people on this forum who might be able to give you some leads.

Oh - and one other thing... when you come, make plans to attend some networking events. There are more than 150 groups and associations in town that hold regular events. The best thing you can do is go to those that fit your intended career and let people know what you are looking for. Two good ones in town that are for everyone are ASBA and APRO. Again, let us know what your plans are and we can give you a better idea where to look.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
I agree with the others, find a better location for your visit.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,735 times
I stayed here for a month during my relocation:

Hospitality Suite Resort | Home

It's a safe neighborhood right across from Papago park. The hotel is a bit dated, but you get free breakfast and cocktails.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM

76 posts, read 166,371 times
I thought that placed seemed shady just from the reviews so thanks everyone!
I'm an RN in dialysis currently. I don't dislike this work but I'm open to other areas as well. I very much like the laboratory environment (used to work as a lab tech) so I was thinking about American Red Cross (I used to wotk there). Also I would like an office environment such as a doctor's office.
I've been working 2nd/3rd shift for the past 4-5 years and I really dislike those hours. My ideal hours are 1st shift day. I think at my age and experiences, I should be able to have that.
I don't enjoy hospital nursing unless it was in the lab. I'm actually open to just working in a lab if I can find adequate pay and my hours, I can always do a PRN nursing job.
So if anyone has any connections for me that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll have to look at all these hotels too. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,995,263 times
There's also an Extended Stay in N. Scottsdale, near the intersection of Scottsdale Rd and Paradise Lane. I stayed there once before we moved here. Its only OK but price is very reasonable for Scottsdale. That's a very safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area