Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,499 times

Advertisements

I have Monotronics for last 5 years. Been paying 35$/mo and 20$/mo for Landline phone required for security system. Thats like 600$/yr for security that has a motion sensor in my living room and sensors on windows and door. I paid 3000$ in 5 years and now they want to charge 100$ to replace my security key. I just think they should be something cheaper, better out there. What do you guys use? How much you pay for month? Do you need phone service for your home security? What your opinion about self installing home security available on amazon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
If you have an existing system already configured & installed, you might want to try a solution that saves the sensors & wiring thats already in place - believe it or not the "brain box" of the better alarm systems are often under $100, and swapping that out would allow you to pick a lower-cost security company & would give you the option of cellular or internet monitoring without replacing all of your sensors.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,382 times
a pitbull and an AR-15

Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 AM

606 posts, read 1,607,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
a pitbull and an AR-15
Yessir!!

How about: Security doors (front and for back sliding glass doors), window guards on ALL windows, guard dogs, and firearms inside accompanied with firearm saftey and the willpower to know you can take a mans life if it comes down to you or me.

Price, $0.00 per month, and better than any burglar alarm on the market.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 AM

310 posts, read 1,161,729 times
I just cancelled my Monitronics a few months ago, but our contract was $29.95/month, and I did not have a land line at all....I think they are ripping you off my friend. We had motion sensors in the great room and master bedroom, and sensors on all doors and windows.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,350 times
Security cameras, motion detection lights, a light sleeping husband, and a 9mm on the night stand.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM

153 posts, read 318,323 times
I would suggest NOT going with a national company (ADT). Their monthly rates are ridiculous, and they have a very slimy revolving contract, that is infinite and is hard to get out of. Find a local company that will do monitoring for less than $15/mo. They are likely actually reselling the services of a large company (much like straight talk resells cell service).

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Motion detector, door and windows breakage detector wired to an alarm service company (and it works...maintenance idiotically opened up the front door a couple of times, fortunately not more than once a year. I had the alarm company first call the police. Then I contacted apartment management in case the apartment folks got in. Always call police first). Plus my apartment is situated where its front door and windows are easily visible from the windows of several apartments. So an intruder would be "on Broadway" while breaking down my door. The backway is no better. My valuables are situated in non-obvious places although I put decoys in obvious places. The non-obvious places are within motion detector so the cops would be on their way and the alarm loud enough to cause neighbors to peer through their blinds and perhaps also call police.

I also have defensive weapons for when I'm there. Getting more.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you have an existing system already configured & installed, you might want to try a solution that saves the sensors & wiring thats already in place - believe it or not the "brain box" of the better alarm systems are often under $100, and swapping that out would allow you to pick a lower-cost security company & would give you the option of cellular or internet monitoring without replacing all of your sensors.
Zippy gave solid advice.

Open the panel box and see how the wires are connect. Focus on the wires that are connected to the "zones". If wires are connected, those are hardwired zones (not wireless). That's a good thing because they are more reliable, and don't require batteries. The hardwire sensors are $2-$15 versus wireless from $25-$75. If you see boxes attached around the frames of the doors, those are wireless. Also, you would have had to replace the batteries every-so-often so you should know if you have wireless.

If your zones are only hard wired, the total fee to get a new keypad and "brain" box is no more than $200. If you have wireless, check out the brand and model number. It's probable that your sensors are still current. Verify by google and calling the brands tech support to see if your wireless sensors are current. But the sensors are brand specific. Buying a panel that supports wireless might be $50 more and you may be able to reuse the wireless sensors.

Now go on Craigslist and post under "gigs" looking to hire someone who has experience with running the brand that you have.

Lastly, most brands are making modules ($50-$75) that interface with the internet to report alarms. That's how you shed your land line. I had to go though this exact same situation a year ago. I was locked out of my panel. $150 later and a new panel and I was able to re-use every sensor. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM

563 posts, read 1,789,655 times
I have a 2Gig wireless system with two motions and 10 door/window sensors, communicating via cellular chip, so no landline needed. I pay $20/mo for monitoring, more if I want z-wave functionality. I also get to arm/disarm via my Mobile device. All through Safemart.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area