Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who has had a problem finding a home to purchase?
yes 55 56.70%
no 39 40.21%
unsure 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Just curious....were you satisfied with the appraisal? Do you think it is approaching market value at least? Or is it way out of line with what houses in your neighborhood are selling for?
"Satisfied" is a word that I don't think applies here as there's too many variables to get there (hope this makes sense). What I do think is I'm ok with it at this point as it serves the purpose I was going for which was a refi to lower rates and dump PMI. Do I think it's out of line with others that are selling around me?
Not an easy question to answer given the mix of things selling and for sale. If you put it up against a short sale or bank owned then the appraisal is too high but if you put it up against all the new builds around us then it's too low. This house is only 6 years old btw and was only occupied for about 2 years before the original owner walked away.

The REO (of bank owned if you will) market has been held artificially low in my opinion, I think this is because the banks are/were insulated from the losses and so don't really have the motivation to get the most out of each sale.
I fully admit I bought this house cheap,cheap,cheap as I couldn't pass up this deal and certainly have benefitted from the bank's largesse. With that being said it's not "normal" to repeatedly sell something for less than it costs to make and there's no other industry that would survive doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM

9,770 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"Satisfied" is a word that I don't think applies here as there's too many variables to get there (hope this makes sense). What I do think is I'm ok with it at this point as it serves the purpose I was going for which was a refi to lower rates and dump PMI. Do I think it's out of line with others that are selling around me?
Not an easy question to answer given the mix of things selling and for sale. If you put it up against a short sale or bank owned then the appraisal is too high but if you put it up against all the new builds around us then it's too low. This house is only 6 years old btw and was only occupied for about 2 years before the original owner walked away.

The REO (of bank owned if you will) market has been held artificially low in my opinion, I think this is because the banks are/were insulated from the losses and so don't really have the motivation to get the most out of each sale.
I fully admit I bought this house cheap,cheap,cheap as I couldn't pass up this deal and certainly have benefitted from the bank's largesse. With that being said it's not "normal" to repeatedly sell something for less than it costs to make and there's no other industry that would survive doing that.
Are you saying builders are losing money or that you cannot build a home for what it appraised for? If it is the later, a used home depreciates like anything else. So it should be appraised less than a brand new home under warranty.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Are you saying builders are losing money or that you cannot build a home for what it appraised for? If it is the later, a used home depreciates like anything else. So it should be appraised less than a brand new home under warranty.
No, I don't think builders are losing money. Given the sqft cost (not including land) this house could not be rebuilt for even close to the appraisal of course depending on what you'd call close. As for depreciation, houses are not a depreciating asset since they do not have a useable life span. Things ON or IN a house can depreciate because they can/do have a useable life span like a roof for example.
The best description of why a house is not a D.A. is that if it was then it would (in theory) have to depreciate to land value only at some point. Warranty has nothing to do with this equation as anyone can buy a warranty not to mention new home warranties are only as good as the builder that's standing behind it or running away from it for that matter.

There's really no concrete explanation that I've heard to justify a $30-$50k swing in prices from a new home to an otherwise equal but used home other than "opinion".

Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,950,139 times
Given two nearly identical homes, but one being brand new and one being old, to me it makes sense that the new home would appraise for more. How much more is debatable I guess but I don't think you can argue that they should be worth the same.

Warranty aside, the older home is well, older. That means older plumbing, older AC, older windows, older energy efficiency standards and so fourth.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM

39,091 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Given two nearly identical homes, but one being brand new and one being old, to me it makes sense that the new home would appraise for more. How much more is debatable I guess but I don't think you can argue that they should be worth the same.

Warranty aside, the older home is well, older. That means older plumbing, older AC, older windows, older energy efficiency standards and so fourth.
Used homes can easily sell for more than new ones because of location, landscaping, lot desirability, decorating and other improvements. You are building a new house. Do you really think it is going to drop in value the day you move in? Not likely.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM

But we are talking nearly identical homes, so same location, same lot size lets say. Wouldn't it make sense that the brand new one would be worth more, even if maybe even by just a bit?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
But we are talking nearly identical homes, so same location, same lot size lets say. Wouldn't it make sense that the brand new one would be worth more, even if maybe even by just a bit?
If it were it'd be based on "feelings" of the buyer. First time buyers seem to love new homes while I think seasoned buyers are less discriminating when it comes to age and to some (many?) would be less likely to buy a new home due to the many things that can/do go wrong with new builds. I've bought a couple new builds and would personally steer away from 'em as they were more headaches than the "newness" was worth.

I could see maybe a bit if you wanted to take the new smell thing into account but $30-$50k+ more?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 PM

I don't know, I wouldnt say simply becuase of feeling...again I would take used things into consideration. Used applicanes, used AC, used garage door, older plumbing, older roofing etc etc. As an exmple, if an AC system has a typical 20 year life span, and the house you buy is 10 years old...in 10 years you need to replace it vs if you buy new, you have 20 years. How much is that worth? I dont know, but it has to be worth something.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As for depreciation, houses are not a depreciating asset since they do not have a useable life span. Things ON or IN a house can depreciate because they can/do have a useable life span like a roof for example.
The best description of why a house is not a D.A. is that if it was then it would (in theory) have to depreciate to land value only at some point.
Actually, it is an asset that can depreciate, and it does have a useful life. If you look on page 2 or 3 of your appraisal you will see a full cost analysis, including site value, building value, physical depreciation, site improvements, etc. And at the bottom they will estimate the remaining economic life. Obviously renovations/remodeling do extend the life, but houses do depreciate, its the value of the land that appreciates. Insurance companies also recognize depreciation in their cost analysis.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM

9,770 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Used homes can easily sell for more than new ones because of location, landscaping, lot desirability, decorating and other improvements. You are building a new house. Do you really think it is going to drop in value the day you move in? Not likely.
The land appreciates, not the physical structure. Saying that, if material costs double overnight, the structure IS in fact worth more so inflation is part of the formula.

But as a rule, a 6 year old home is losing value just as a car loses value. Even if no one lived in the home after 6 years, styles change making it less valuable. Same thing if you let a car sit for 6 years. Additionally the shingles, windows, paint, etc are slowly wearing out just by being in the elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area