Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM

12 posts, read 24,220 times

Advertisements

Hello i am relocating to phoenix i did live in Apache Junction i moved back home to new hampshire which was stupid so im going back i found an apartment in that zip code just wanted to know about grocery stores and restaurants and the crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
A little more information on the location would help pinpoint grocery shopping, restaurants, etc. ZIP codes cover a wide area. Crime rates are readily searchable by ZIP code on various sites.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM

601 posts, read 755,599 times
I don't think you'd get attacked, but at the same time wouldn't chose to live there.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
I don't think you'd get attacked, but at the same time wouldn't chose to live there.
Fair to say it's not the best area. Apartments are older, as are most of the stores in the immediate area.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I wouldn't fear shopping there. There is a Super Wal Mart at 35th Ave and Bethany which I shop at periodically. At worst case, a place near that store to the north would be the best of the worst. I wouldn't want to live in that zip code unless I inherited or obtained a home there and wanted to live in it short term. There are too many other options out there.

You especially want to avoid 27th Ave as a place to live, although to run in the store here and there no one will bother you. I wouldn't walk 27th Ave at night. I go to the post office and computer repair shop there at Camelback and to the beauty supply stores in the area, and LOVE El Taco Tote at 35th Ave and Camelback.

Yes rent is definately cheaper, and I know a few retired people who are friends of my parents who have lived there for years and don't move because of their age. Their homes are paid for. One lives near 31st Ave, 1/2 mile north of Indian School,and he walks around the park there every morning at 6 AM.

The specific area you want to move in as was said above,would be helpful, and your situation, ie: why you want to move there, and rent budget.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Read somewhere that GCU is trying to help gentrify the neighborhood. They want to make sure their students who live on campus or in nearby apartments have things to do and are safe. Will be interesting to see if GCU can pull it off.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,875 times
You asked about shopping. In the boundaries of that zip code which I can identify you have a fairly new Super Wal Mart at 35th Ave and Bethany. At 27th Ave and Bethany there is a Food City. At 33rd and Indian School a Ranch Market. At 35th Ave and Glendale a Food City and Ranch Market. Besides Wal Mart, these stores are more geared to Latino shoppers, a somewhat smaller selection of gringo items and a larger selection of items Latinos buy, although blacks and a handful of whites shop there too. These latino oriented supermarkets have huge produce and meat departments.

You have Walgreens and CVS. Fast food and lots of Mexican taco shops. The area is over 80% Latino and the rest is black with a few whites.

But keep in mind it is centrally located. Drive a few miles in either direction and you have a huge diversity of shopping, races, and income levels. You have Metrocenter Mall a few miles to the north with Macys, Sears, a Dillards clearance center, Burlington Coat Factory, Staples, Ross, Bed Bath and Beyond, and a variety of restaurants right there.

You have Christown Mall to the east on Bethany and 19th Ave with Costco, Penneys, Walgreens, a HUGE Super Wal Mart, Super Target, Ross Dress for Less, Petsmart, all the major banks.

So being centrallly located you are within minutes of a lot of shopping and the light rail which will take you downtown.

I would say being a homeowner has its advantages in a marginal area. You may have a garage, or can park your car off the street to protect it from vandals. You can add security features to you property to discourage vandals.

In an apartment many times you have to park in an unprotected area, and you are limited as to what alterations you can make to your unit to secure it better.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM

504 posts, read 852,117 times
I have lived in the area for 10 years, a little north of Bethany near 35th Ave in a condominium. As Goober mentioned, it's pretty conveniently located. Easy 17 access. While the area doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't consider it 'bad' per se, it's mostly older homes/apartments and isn't a particularly 'nice' or pretty area. I have never felt unsafe or been burglarized.

Closer to the 17 it seems to get sketchier, as does south of Bethany.

The Lenny's Burger on Glendale Ave just west of the 17 is pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area