Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:07 PM

21 posts, read 53,080 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the phoenix area, but would like to be in a smaller, western feel town where I can purchase a home with acreage (2+) and be allowed to have horses. I'd like it within/around an hour's drive to Phoenix, and would definitely prefer a place that has some kind of nearby emergency/urgent care (esp. for snake bites), if that's even available?

I'm currently looking at Buckeye, and was looking at Whittmann before being told that the schools are no good. I NEED good schooling for my 7 yr old! Any other places I could look into? Or any places I should definitely look AWAY from (like Tonopah, I'm not fond of the horrible school OR the nuclear power plant)?

What is Goodyear? Surprise? According to greatschools, they have numerous top rated schools. Do they have the type of home I'm looking for though (with land/horses allowed)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
Sounds like Wickenburg's right up your alley.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Goodyear and Surprise are Phoenix suburbs, not small towns. Not much horse property within the city limits of either, though there may be some. They don't have the small town feel I think you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Why not consider the Desert Hills/New River area. Not exactly a small town, but an area that is mostly rural horse properties, yet close to stores, hospitals, and other conveniences. It is the best of both worlds. Deer Valley Schools.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
That sort of life is just not available in the Phoenix area. I suppose people in the east expect things to be like there, but they are not. You don't have quaint little towns 10 miles apart on a county road. What you have is mile after mile of urban sprawl and the occasional remnants of little agricultural settlements of migrant workers which invariably are rundown and neglected and populated by an assortment of characters from retirees to government haters. These little islands are not the place you want to raise your kids.

Now, there are these things called "horse properties" around in every part of the city. Some of them are just trash but others are million dollar home type places. In any case, you always get what you pay for, but you are going to pay dearly for a nice property with good schools, nearby medical and so on. Frankly, I don't think Phoenix is the right place based on what you said in your post.

You might like Wickenburg. It's more than an hour from Phoenix though.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
It may help to have a general budget, too. There are definitely horse properties in Queen Creek and San Tan Valley that you may like, but generally homes on the east side of the metro cost more than Buckeye/Wittmann/etc. It does sound like Wickenburg would appeal to you but it is much further from Phoenix than all the other places mentioned. It has that western feel though, while most of the other places do not. Looking on Zillow, there is also a good amount of horse properties in northern/eastern Apache Junction and Gold Canyon, as well.

Also, keep in mind we have open enrollment here so even if you don't have the budget to live in a great school district, you can drive your child to whichever school you want as long as they have room.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Great answers, thanks everyone! I'll look into the places mentioned!

I don't have a huge budget, but don't want anything fancy either; just a place to call my own. Maybe $120,000 range max. We'd be selling here in WI before moving, so we're hoping to put a large down payment, buy a few horses, and live a little more stress free with nature and a smaller mortgage.

I can drive for major medical, but due to a chronic illness I have Dr appointments every 4-6 weeks, so a little closer is better.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
$120,000 won't get you much of anything in AZ, especially if you want acreage.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
You will mostly be looking at manufactured homes within that budget, especially if you want over an acre. I personally see nothing wrong with manufactured homes, especially if you will be spending a lot of time outside with your horses. In many you cannot even tell, once inside, that they are technically a "mobile home."

If you go to zillow.com you can search homes by price and lot size (one acre = 43,560 square feet) and it looks like there are several properties for sale on both the east and west side of the metro that fit your parameters, that have at least one acre. You will be severely limiting yourself if you only look at lots with 2+ acres, it seems.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

I don't need a ton of acreage, just a few is fine. And the house, I'm not concerned with luxury. A nice mobile home is fine. Having a chronic pain illness has taught me what really matters in life, so I'm giving up luxury for serenity. I don't care for a fancy house, or the mortgage that comes with it, just something nice and comfortable inside. As long add i've got my family by my side, and beautiful serenity all around me, I really couldn't care less what my house looks like :-)

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area