Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Do any of you live in communities that are not gated but have HOA's that ban solicitors? If so does this actually limit solicitors? I can't see how an HOA is going to limit solicitors. Are you really going to call the police if someone rings your door bell trying to sell Girl Scout cookies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do any of you live in communities that are not gated but have HOA's that ban solicitors? If so does this actually limit solicitors? I can't see how an HOA is going to limit solicitors. Are you really going to call the police if someone rings your door bell trying to sell Girl Scout cookies
The police don't enforce CC&R violations or those breaking HOA rules. And since most non gated communities are on city owned streets I don't know how they could make such a rule.

It would be up to the HOA to enforce the no soliciting rules by taking them to court which would be awfully expensive for the HOA.

Last edited by LBTRS; 03-12-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM

181 posts, read 439,321 times
I'm in one, and have been in others. There is an ARS on the matter, it was posted on the old sign, banning solicitors. The trash really piles up on unoccupied places.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
I'm in one, and have been in others. There is an ARS on the matter, it was posted on the old sign, banning solicitors. The trash really piles up on unoccupied places.
So what does that mean? The ARS makes it illegal for people to solicit? And what's the likelihood of police coming to the neighborhood and warning or diverting them away? It just sounds difficult to enforce

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
It isn't enforced in my HOA cause they come selling all kinds of stuff and Jehovah's Witnesses also. I did put a "No soliciting" sign on my door bell but it didn't do much good.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Aren't solicitors a city issue?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
They just put up garish signs in my community saying no soliciting. A few issues are the streets are not private, anyone can travel on them. And anyplace that has enough law enforcement employed and ready to come immediately to catch a someone soliciting is one extremely wealthy community these days, more likely to be gated, and an unlikely place to find such a person going door to door. Just a waste of residents' money to make those signs.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Do any of you live in communities that are not gated but have HOA's that ban solicitors?
Yes, we did. Several of them.
Quote:
If so does this actually limit solicitors?
No, it didn't. None of them. This is one of the reasons we installed security screen doors in all of our homes.
Quote:
I can't see how an HOA is going to limit solicitors. Are you really going to call the police if someone rings your door bell trying to sell Girl Scout cookies
Nope, except for the time that somebody soliciting for a supposed non-profit organization tried to open that security screen door. Thank God it was locked.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, we did. Several of them.

No, it didn't. None of them. This is one of the reasons we installed security screen doors in all of our homes.

Nope, except for the time that somebody soliciting for a supposed non-profit organization tried to open that security screen door. Thank God it was locked.
I didn't think so. The only real way to avoid solicitors is to live in a gated community.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
I don't know what communities the OP has in mind, but the City of Phoenix does have solicitation and handbill ordinances. From their FAQ:

Is someone allowed to leave a commercial or noncommercial handbill on vacant property? No, but it must either be apparent that the property is vacant or unoccupied or the property needs to have un-removed handbills from a previous day. The owner, of course, is also free to post the property for no trespassing or no handbilling, in which case no handbills are permitted.

How do I prevent someone from leaving handbills on my property even if I am home?
There are two ways to do this. First, you can make a specific request of anyone that they are not to leave handbills on your property and that request must be honored. Second, you can post your property with a notice such as “No Trespassing,” “No Advertisement,” “No Handbills,” or something substantially similar.

Can my homeowner’s association post a notice that will cover the entire neighborhood?
No. Each homeowner must make an individual decision as to how they would like to control access to their property.

What is the penalty for someone improperly handbilling my property?
The Phoenix City Code makes this offense a class one misdemeanor.

What is the maximum penalty for a class one misdemeanor?
A fine of $2,500 and/or six months of imprisonment.

What is the penalty for a business that authorized the handbilling?
The business can be fined between $250 and $2,500 for each separate violation. This fine would be a civil sanction and not a criminal penalty.

What if I observe a door-to-door solicitor acting suspiciously or committing an unlawful act? In an emergency situation call 9-1-1. For non-emergency situations, call Crime Stop at 602-262-6151. When calling the police be sure to accurately describe the activity that is taking place.

Other cities in Arizona may or may not have similar ordinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area