Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM

74 posts, read 273,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It's all relative. The more you make, the more you spend.
Who says? Just because you have it to spend doesn't mean it's in ones best interest to do so It's a matter of discipline. I realize I am but one example, but the idea of spending hard earned money needlessly just because it's there doesn't make sense. That's why so many people end up in hot water financially. I suppose if I didn't have children it could change my views but I'm not so sure, I'm not generally a materialistic person. In any case, I think the OP is in an optimal position to live comfortably here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKD View Post
Who says? Just because you have it to spend doesn't mean it's in ones best interest to do so It's a matter of discipline. I realize I am but one example, but the idea of spending hard earned money needlessly just because it's there doesn't make sense. That's why so many people end up in hot water financially. I suppose if I didn't have children it could change my views but I'm not so sure, I'm not generally a materialistic person. In any case, I think the OP is in an optimal position to live comfortably here
Sure but my point is that a $1000 payment has the same financial impact on someone, as a $2000 payment does to some who earns double. If you're comfortable on your income, wouldn't someone who earns twice as much (hypothetically) be just as comfortable when spending double?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM

My point is that my family lives on the same income ($72K after taxes) as the OP mentioned and we live very comfortably. As an example, 30% of our income in rent is still more than what we're paying now, so we're able to live comfortably below our means. The numbers you're citing aren't necessary realistic for the actual cost of living in this area. Any person is capable of over-extending themselves regardless of income. That's why it's important to abide by a budget and save money for emergencies. If you're able to do both of those things and stay within your income, that's the equivalent of what I'm saying, isn't it?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM

And my apologies, it wasn't you who came up with those numbers, but using that as an example you get my point.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It's all relative. The more you make, the more you spend.
Yes, but it all depends on your level of self control, lol.

I always try to live below my means.

So it is not that I am trying to live in the most expensive part of town when I move to the Phoenix area. I just want to be more comfortable than in the super tiny and super expensive apartment I live now.

The feedback I've received so far is very helpful.

The one thing that is relative "cost of living." As I continue researching, I find that it is true housing is significantly cheaper than NYC. But other things such as sales taxes and even gas are not that much different than over here.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,788 times
Quote:
My point is that my family lives on the same income ($72K after taxes) as the OP mentioned and we live very comfortably. As an example, 30% of our income in rent is still more than what we're paying now, so we're able to live comfortably below our means. The numbers you're citing aren't necessary realistic for the actual cost of living in this area. Any person is capable of over-extending themselves regardless of income. That's why it's important to abide by a budget and save money for emergencies. If you're able to do both of those things and stay within your income, that's the equivalent of what I'm saying, isn't it?
Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I always try to live below my means as well.

Learned that the hard way soon after I moved to NYC 7 years ago

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I always try to live below my means as well.

Learned that the hard way soon after I moved to NYC 7 years ago
Just trying to give an accurate picture of what it's like to live here. Good luck with your move and new job!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
My point is that my family lives on the same income ($72K after taxes) as the OP mentioned and we live very comfortably.
$72k after taxes is FAR different than a $72k salary.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
$2000 a month for mortgage? $500 a month for food for a single person? $800 a month for a vehicle payment? Do I live in a bubble or something That wouldn't be budgeting responsibly in my opinion, but to each their own. My rent AND utilities are under $2000 a month in South Tempe, our car payments don't even add up to $800 a month for BOTH of our vehicles including insurance, and our organic, whole food diet for 5 people costs under $600 a month. Even if we're talking $72K before taxes, you won't be hurting if you create a responsible budget. OP, be disciplined and you'll be fine.
I agree, those numbers are inflated for a single person. That's living really well. $800 a month for a vehicle payment...sure if you are driving a BMW. $500 a month for food....sure if you eat out every single day and never cook.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
I agree but I suppose it depends on how you were raised. I was taught to value money and not waste it. Just because you have a lot of money, it doesn't mean you spend extravagantly. There is a difference between being comfortable and living extravagantly.

The other rule is you don't spend money you don't have. And in my experience, most people who spend lavishly are often overextending themselves. They will buy homes and luxury cars but have student loans and significant credit card debt. To me, that's just irresponsible. This mentality hurt this country. The housing bubble was largely due to people buying homes they couldn't afford instead of renting or buying cheaper homes. For the life of me, I cant fathom how anyone can't live well with 72K per year as a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area