Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM

20 posts, read 55,225 times

Advertisements

Having lived here in the Phx. area for 2 1/2 years now, being from the mid-west I find a HUGE differerence in how agents act here professionally, if you can actually use that term. I have my house for sale and have interviewed several agents that gave good "pitches" to get me to sign on the dotted line. I finally relented and signed, I noticed he didn't bring up my occupancy after cosing would occur.

I texted him the next day stated I would need 35 days occupancy (common in other states that I lived unless house is empty). He called and said possession is usually at closing, I said I am moving 270 miles away and if I close on my house here and then close on my next house the next day (if I can schedule wise), how could I be out of my house at closing? He said you will just have your moving truck loaded and ready to go, I said go where, I haven't even closed on my house yet??

I told him I would need up to 5 business days to close on both house and make a sensible move and not close so he can get his commission as fast a possible. I am used to MY agent looking out for MY interest instead of just making that ole mighty dollar, in which of course my dollars are paying his commission, again their train of thought is get you to sign that contract.

Second issue: Showing of the house, I am retired and being home alot, he called for showing appointments, first one was between 2-2:30 pm, having a small dog I planned on having the front door open when agent showed and go for a walk. Agent showed at 2:50 which was fine, the next showing was the next day 10-10:30am, so again I prepped the house and got the pooch ready to go.

11:00 goes by and and truck stops by people get out walk around front and rear of house, stayed for around 15 miins., I was waiting for the agent to appear, then truck left. I called my agent to see if they cancelled, he called the agent and said she would be there within 20 mins. it's now 11:25. I waited till noon and had started lunch, lone and behold she finally shows 2 HOURS late, I told her she was late and having lunch and come back in 15 mins. She left

My agent called me 3 hrs. later asking why I didn't let HIS agent in so I explained the above events, he said why didn't you take your sandwich outside, I said I was having spagetti and if I can wait 2 hours she can wait 15 mins. He said you should allow for a 2 hr. window for showings, I said why have showing times if a 2 hour window is COMMON, he said it's not like going to the doctor w/app. I blow up!!!!!!!!!!! Are you equating a doctor to real estate agent are you serious? It's funny how agents always tell you the truth after they suck you into signing. Sorry but in other markets, agents showed up within the showing time not leaving owners hanging and agents worked closely with clients by calling the showing agents and relaying comments to the sellers not being arrogant jerks looking for that quick buck before the PHX. bubble bursts again and the their back to their PAUPER status.

I digress.....................

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,350,934 times
Its all about how badly you want to sell the house - nothing you described seems completely unreasonable to my or my experiences.

You can always do a for sale by owner and have complete control if you like.

Otherwise - I say suck it up and do what needs to be done to get your house sold.

P S - 35 days AFTER closing - I ve never heard that here on the west coast.....as a buyer I want into my house the day I own it...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,242,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Its all about how badly you want to sell the house - nothing you described seems completely unreasonable to my or my experiences.

Otherwise - I say suck it up and do what needs to be done to get your house sold.

P S - 35 days AFTER closing - I ve never heard that here on the west coast.....as a buyer I want into my house the day I own it...

Agree with everything sh said. I bought and sold several houses in Phoenix and was always 100% out by the closing date. Sign, hand over the keys and pick up your check. To your point about people not being on time for their appointments, I feel you on that one. I have always had several large dogs and getting them out of the house for a showing was a chore in itself, but when the people coming to look are 30 minutes/hour/hours late, that made it extremely tough. Selling your home is not fun, but if you want it sold, you sometimes have to roll with the punches.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,953,572 times
You can have it written into the purchase contract that you want extra time in the home after closing, which is easy to do but unless it is in the contract you do not have a right to be in the home after you have sold it and do not own it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM

896 posts, read 1,478,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonerDreamin View Post
he said it's not like going to the doctor w/app. I blow up!!!!!!!!!!! Are you equating a doctor to real estate agent are you serious?
HAHAHAHA!! 12 years to become a doctor. 2 weeks to become a realtor.

Lets get a clue here people and make sure you have a clear view of your profession.

Last edited by observer53; 03-26-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

I didn't realize ARIZONA is considered the WEST coast, obviously your not a geograghy major, explore the rest of the states where 30 day occupancy is not in question. BTW I did try FSBO and guess what all the realtors called trying to list you even when ask " no agents". It's probably YOUR west coast realtors that don"t understand english.................

Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,681,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonerDreamin View Post
I didn't realize ARIZONA is considered the WEST coast, obviously your not a geograghy major, explore the rest of the states where 30 day occupancy is not in question. BTW I did try FSBO and guess what all the realtors called trying to list you even when ask " no agents". It's probably YOUR west coast realtors that don"t understand english.................
You can't write a diatribe like that, chock-full of misspellings and grammatical errors, and end it by referring to people that "don't understand English", without looking a bit hypocritical and foolish.

I've bought and sold houses in different areas of the country and occupancy is always negotiable. The standard would probably be occupancy at closing though. I have had sellers rent the house from me for a couple months after buying it from them so they could stay put for a little bit longer.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:50 PM

640 posts, read 960,437 times
I don't have experience purchasing real estate outside of AZ, so I'm curious: what states are you referring to where it is common to retain possession for 35 days after closing? Do you sign a separate rental agreement and negotiate rent or are you living there for free for a month?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM

205 posts, read 297,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I don't have experience purchasing real estate outside of AZ, so I'm curious: what states are you referring to where it is common to retain possession for 35 days after closing? Do you sign a separate rental agreement and negotiate rent or are you living there for free for a month?
Is it possible that there is a mixup between terminology?

Usually, after the conditions have been removed, the next owner doesn't take possession immediately. If somebody asks for a quick close and you agree, then you have to move out quickly. However, you would have to agree to that. Most deals I have been involved in usually close in about 30 days or so but the deal becomes solid (conditions wavied) after about 5 business days or so.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You can't write a diatribe like that, chock-full of misspellings and grammatical errors, and end it by referring to people that "don't understand English", without looking a bit hypocritical and foolish.

I've bought and sold houses in different areas of the country and occupancy is always negotiable. The standard would probably be occupancy at closing though. I have had sellers rent the house from me for a couple months after buying it from them so they could stay put for a little bit longer.
How interesting that your namesake has Detroit in it, I too am from Michigan, thank goodness not DETROIT, therefore occupancy is rarely at closing unless the house being bought was empty. I am glad you are a grammar watcher, but it's the point of the matter is what counts. You must be a great texter!! BTW enlighten me on my spelling errors.....sir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: