Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,777 times

Advertisements

I am building a new home and the backyard faced west. The master bedroom has large windows on the west side and I am worried about the sun hitting them in the summer and heating up the house. I have the option of extending the covered patio which would cover these windows. The covered patio is about 8 feet deep. I am only hesitant as it is an expensive upgrade ($6k) and I don't really need the extra patio space outside but would just do it if it would really help keep the sun off of the windows. OR would it be just as effective for me to place reflective window film on these windows? As this would be a much cheaper option. Thank you for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay50 View Post
I am building a new home and the backyard faced west. The master bedroom has large windows on the west side and I am worried about the sun hitting them in the summer and heating up the house. I have the option of extending the covered patio which would cover these windows. The covered patio is about 8 feet deep. I am only hesitant as it is an expensive upgrade ($6k) and I don't really need the extra patio space outside but would just do it if it would really help keep the sun off of the windows. OR would it be just as effective for me to place reflective window film on these windows? As this would be a much cheaper option. Thank you for any advice!
Rule number one for Arizona living: shade! You will never regret having more covered area and shade on your patio, NEVER. 6K is nothing - you will get it back if you sell (in which case you have only paid a small part of it) and you will enjoy the outdoor space and the cooler room.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,498 times
Just put some sun screens on the window. In the winter you can remove them and enjoy the sun through the windows. This winter was a good example, it was so cold people were looking for the sun.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rule number one for Arizona living: shade! You will never regret having more covered area and shade on your patio, NEVER. 6K is nothing - you will get it back if you sell (in which case you have only paid a small part of it) and you will enjoy the outdoor space and the cooler room.
I'm totally agreeing with this!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Your backyard faces west which is the worst possible exposure you could have. I would do everything I could to avoid this exposure or minimize the effects of the sun that will be cooking this side of your house. I'd extend the patio without another thought.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
With a west facing backyard and large windows, you WILL shade them soon. Either now or in about 3 months.
Guaranteed.......

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay50 View Post
I agree with Ponderosa, Bluejay . . . you can never have too much shade.

As far as the window film is concerned . . . that would be my last choice.

I have a fully exposed West Facing Wall and a covered patio was not an option so I chose Oleanders. Although they took a couple years to mature, the positive effect on the two bedrooms along that wall has been significant, however, I would greatly prefer a full shade cover.

Good Luck

Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
If you can afford it, I'd go with the extended patio. When it's time to sell, you will get it back. If you can't afford it I'd recommend both sunscreens and plant something that will provide some shade. I don't know much about reflective film, but that would probably be my last choice.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Extend the patio! You can never have too much shade in AZ. Plus you will spend a lot of time outside and you be thankful for the additional room whether dining outside or just relaxing on a hammock. You will recoup some of your money when you sell.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Your backyard faces west which is the worst possible exposure you could have. I would do everything I could to avoid this exposure or minimize the effects of the sun that will be cooking this side of your house. I'd extend the patio without another thought.
^^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area