Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Extending the patio has many benefits, cooler area, less cooling bill, more attractive looking and a big selling point when you decide to move.
Every home I've owned here I added onto the patio, no matter which way it faced and have never regreeted it. Big patios are big plusses in AZ especially if you entertain a lot. Every home I sold one of the big compliments we got from buyers was about how nice and big the patio is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM

284 posts, read 700,795 times
Why plan big windows on the west wall in the first place? Is it too late to make them smaller?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
Why plan big windows on the west wall in the first place? Is it too late to make them smaller?
Or get a lot that doesn't have a west facing backyard? Your back patio will be useless in the summer evening regardless of your patio extension. The low evening sun is going to cook that patio.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,489 times
Would another option would be to spend 4K on a row of fast growing heavy shade trees that will grow and shade as much of the west side of the house as quickly as possible. You are going to get some bad reflected UV rays off the deck itself bouncing up into those big windows. Some sort of outdoor rug may cut that glare until the trees shade the area. And of course my favorite...Roll-a-shields on those big windows so you can make it midnight and cool in the bedroom at four in the afternoon in July. If you really don't care about a bigger patio maybe some of these things might help or be even cooler.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
A real nice misting system for the patio would make a world of difference too...

Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Or get a lot that doesn't have a west facing backyard? Your back patio will be useless in the summer evening regardless of your patio extension. The low evening sun is going to cook that patio.
Coolaroo drop down/roll-up shade screens work wonders for west exposures. You can find them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rule number one for Arizona living: shade! You will never regret having more covered area and shade on your patio, NEVER. 6K is nothing - you will get it back if you sell (in which case you have only paid a small part of it) and you will enjoy the outdoor space and the cooler room.

I totally agree with this post. Your bedroom WILL feel like an oven in the pm and early evening. By all means extend the patio.

Western exposure is horrible. Extend the patio, plant a shade tree nearby, put the dark screens on, forget the film. There is no such thing as over kill when mitigating western exposure.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I totally agree with this post. Your bedroom WILL feel like an oven in the pm and early evening. By all means extend the patio.

Western exposure is horrible. Extend the patio, plant a shade tree nearby, put the dark screens on, forget the film. There is no such thing as over kill when mitigating western exposure.
I'll add to this. Extend the patio then get some roller blinds for around the outside of that patio you can put down around 2pm. They sell them everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Covered patio or not for sun protection?-screen-shot-2013-03-23-9.52.00  

Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Wait a minute. You guys are worrying me now

Our backyard faces West, and our back bedroom is in that area with no protection. Are you saying we are going to cook? This will be our first AZ summer. We are "heat junkies", but should we be concerned?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
Wait a minute. You guys are worrying me now

Our backyard faces West, and our back bedroom is in that area with no protection. Are you saying we are going to cook? This will be our first AZ summer. We are "heat junkies", but should we be concerned?
There is heat and then there is heat. I've been in AZ for 20 yrs. After the summer temp hits 110 degrees, it doesn't matter to me: I find it unbearable.

Best way to "enjoy" a backyard with western exposure is to create LOTS and LOTS of shade. You will feel a temp difference in that back bedroom. It will be considerably hotter that other parts of the house.

I'd say yes, you will cook. BUT that's only my opinion. You need to experience a couple of summers here. Maybe you'll be fine with the heat. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area