Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 AM

40 posts, read 246,073 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone im thinking of moving to the phoenix area...i have some family out there but they have only been there for about a year and give me mixed answers about this..

so my question is about diversity in phoenix? i am persian/Muslim and lived in the midwest for a while during my high school years and experienced racism there as there wasnt much diversity. I guess the area we lived in (suburbs of omaha and kansas city) were mostly white so people werent used to anyone from a different ethnicity...

i live in boston right now and still have the occassional comments/racist remarks so i know ultimately i may experience some ignorance wherever i go...probably more due to the fact that there is a lot of negativity out there about us due to 9/11....but my q is are there people of different backgrounds in phoenix and the suburbs or is it mainly white like the midwest?

I guess my main concern is we would be living in a suburb of phx like glendale, goodyear, tolleson, buckeye....and i wonder how it would be for us...whether we would be welcomed or if it would be like the same experience we've had in the midwest most of our lives....

thanks.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 15,217 times
I have lived in Phoenix 30 yrs, and have never seen religious discrimination. The problem is with border Mexicans and whites. Mexicans have a deep seated hatred for white America, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. No amount of friendliness will change their minds; they are a hateful, militant people (in my opinion). Religious discrimination does not exist, here. No one cares if you are Muslim. There is a Mosque near my house. I see Muslims coming and going all the time. There is religious tolerance here. No one cares what religion you are.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Hell:

In 'redneck' Kingman; Az there is a Mosque, believe it or not!

That surprised me unless it is due to the large numbers of East Indian/Panistani doctors, etc at the local hospital.

As for the Phx area; you best bet would probably be Tempe------I know an Iranian (Persian) who has a repair shop there. He has been around for many years. Whether is is Muslim or not; I am not sure, the man is pretty secular.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,182 times
There is at least two muslim families on every street in my neighborhood. I'm not sure if they experience any "hate". I'm sure they have all felt the "911 back lash". But currently Americans are not as spiteful about it and are more upset with "Texans". lol
Because they hate the president. Attention is else where now. Mostly on our economy, inward, so I don't feel you would suffer any profiling here. That said, I don't notice much racism here at all and people always tell me it's bad here. I guess I don't notice because I don't look for it. That said, if I don't notice it, than how bad could it be. I'm very active in the community.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,450 times
Like you mentioned, unfortunately you will probably experience some ignorant people wherever you go. The Phoenix Metro area is quite diverse; I don't believe you will have any issues to deal with here in Arizona. I'm sure you will be welcomed into whatever community fits your needs. To use an old expression, "Come on in, the water's fine."

Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,505 times
We're originally from the midwest (WI) and have lived in quite a few different states around the US. We've found people to be generally open and kind. I agree with Arizona Annie that there are some ignorant people wherever you go. Here in our neighborhood in AZ, we're a mixture of AZ natives and transplants from around the US. We have friends here from AZ, CA, MI, IL, MS, CO, NV, UT, and FL. So, I think you'll be welcomed here.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM

35 posts, read 104,001 times
No matter where you go there will be Racism. Thats the way it is. But I'm thinking were talking more along the lines of "Will the amount Racism be enough to cause a hate crime"? What is a "Hate Crime"? thats the real question.

I'm white and about 2 months ago I Shaved my head down to the skin, I do that once in a while. about 3 days after I shaved my head my wife, son and I went to fry's marketplace. There in the frozen food isle I was approached from behind by 3 black males. They got my attention my saying. "Punk Ass White boy!" I ignored them and continued to look at the foods. Again "Fu*kin Punk ass cracker!" I looked and one of them cocked his arm back and took a swing. I moved as he was swing causing him to miss. His miss threw him off balance which gave me the opportunity to push him to the ground and tell my Wife to grab my son to run and get help. I screamed to the others telling them to "Bring it!" hoping that that would scare them into not fighting with them seeing that i was not scared to fight 3 big black guys.

Then security ran in and tackled me (ME!) with the 3 black men kicking me while the security guard was on top of me. The security guard was telling the them to stop. but they didn't. So others got on them and we were all contained till the police got there. They let the 3 guys go and continued to hold me. While contained the 3 black males kept telling them that I started it and wanted this to be a hate crime. 3 police were there 2 black and 1 white. 1 black cop told me that I was going to be charged with a hate crime the other 2 cops questioned all the witnesses including my wife. once they saw my wife and son they new that there was no way that I could have started it. because my wife is Mexican. I later showed them my cell phone which contained Pictures of a fishing trip I took with my friends. My friends of 4 African-Americans, 3 Mexicans and 3 other white guys with all of there families.

After they let me go and went after the 3 black males and just charged them with aggravated assault. I asked "why not the hate crime?" they told me that they can't pin a black person with a hate crime, thats impossible. They then later told me to shop at another place and to avoid this Fry's if at all possible.

So where ever you go there will be Racism. I have only experienced it this one time since I moved here. It was a bad encounter but since then I've grown my hair. I love this place and only hear of it when on the news. I truly believe that the Mexican community is a lot nicer than the Mexican communities in San Diego, LA and in Austin. where I've lived in the years.

Racism is social ignorance that the truly lost hold.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

376 posts, read 490,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afghaniprinzess View Post
Hi everyone im thinking of moving to the phoenix area...i have some family out there but they have only been there for about a year and give me mixed answers about this..

so my question is about diversity in phoenix? i am persian/Muslim and lived in the midwest for a while during my high school years and experienced racism there as there wasnt much diversity. I guess the area we lived in (suburbs of omaha and kansas city) were mostly white so people werent used to anyone from a different ethnicity...

i live in boston right now and still have the occassional comments/racist remarks so i know ultimately i may experience some ignorance wherever i go...probably more due to the fact that there is a lot of negativity out there about us due to 9/11....but my q is are there people of different backgrounds in phoenix and the suburbs or is it mainly white like the midwest?

I guess my main concern is we would be living in a suburb of phx like glendale, goodyear, tolleson, buckeye....and i wonder how it would be for us...whether we would be welcomed or if it would be like the same experience we've had in the midwest most of our lives....

thanks.
If you think Boston is bad-moving here will be even worse. They do not like brown people here. As a matter of fact, this was the town that right after 9/11, someone killed a clerk at a gas station because he had a (can't remember the name- so forgive me) turbin? on his head. He was Indian for crying out loud! People don't even know the difference between an Indian and an Arab. They gunned him down in his store out of hatred for middle easterners. People haven't woken up here either as far as the 9/11 thing. They do not realize that the country was lied into a war-no an illegal occupation with a third world country. They don't even care or know that we have killed HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT CIVILIANS. Many of whom are children. They don't want to know. They don't care.
When you see a map of the states that show which states are blue vs. red in elections-choose the blue states when choosing where to live if racism is your main issue. You will encounter it everywhere I am afraid as no place is truly red or truly blue (using these terms very loosely as there are kind "red" people and unkind "blue" people as well). Good luck to you.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM

40 posts, read 246,073 times
nanawale- well that isnt comforting to know but i do understand that u are trying to help me out....i dont know what i should do really.....i feel like any where i live i am going to encounter racism and maybe hate crimes...i just wanted to know how bad it would be in phoenix..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:35 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by char85008 View Post
I have lived in Phoenix 30 yrs, and have never seen religious discrimination. The problem is with border Mexicans and whites. Mexicans have a deep seated hatred for white America, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. No amount of friendliness will change their minds; they are a hateful, militant people (in my opinion). Religious discrimination does not exist, here. No one cares if you are Muslim. There is a Mosque near my house. I see Muslims coming and going all the time. There is religious tolerance here. No one cares what religion you are.
I agree. The people in Phoenix are very tolerant. I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area