Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:32 AM

376 posts, read 490,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Are people chasing you with guns?

I understand this is an opinion forum.

Why do you call me a know it all? I just said that it must make for a long day to think a large group that you can't really identify are after you. Doesn't it?
Someone in fact did. Therefore it was a scary position-which related to my sentence in my previous post about "even thought I am white I still am fearful at times."

It is a smug sarcastic comment and you know it. Period. A large group that I can't identify? Where are you coming up with this? Jeez. No, I do not spend my days worrying about large groups of people coming to get me. I just meant EVEN A NONMINORITY CAN FEEL FEAR.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettmc View Post
"NANAWALEJULIE", your a mental patient!
??????????????????????????
Nice way to join the group newbie. You will be reported for this personal attack that has no basis, no true opinion-just rudeness.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Definitely! No question about it! We have a very large population of illegal immigrants from Mexico in our state. One of the complaints I have heard the most about this population (second only to the cost of supporting so many of them) is the requirement to know Spanish in order to obtain many of the jobs here, because a very big percentage of those here illegally do not have any interest in learning English. For this reason, documents of all types are printed in both English and Spanish. Another big issue was the carrying of the Mexican flag during demonstrations in the city. I truly believe if they made an effort and learned English and carried the American flag, the attitude towards them would be entirely different. The perception is that they have no respect whatsoever for American culture.
I appreciate so much that you put so much emphasis on the word "perception" is ......
It really is perception. I work with Mexicans and they really do want to understand English. It is much harder (as a language student/teacher myself) to learn English from Spanish rather than the other way around. Also the reason they were holding the Mexican flags was similar to those who still think having a confederate flag is ok. It is part of your history and heritage. It is pride. It shows that you will not knock me so far down as to be embarrised of who I am. No one would want to have to leave their homes and families to come to another country where they do not speak the language, and have to come here illegally and have a possibilty of dying getting here. These people just want to earn a living. They send money home to support their wives and children. There are always bad appples in every bunch, but for the most part, I have nothing but nice things to say about Mexicans. These people are my friends. I have learned Spanish. I am not perfect at it and I practice with them, and have them practice their English with me. There is nothing wrong with learning another language-as a matter of fact, I think there is something wrong with not wanting to be able to speak another language. There is a "high" of sorts for me when I can understand this secret code of sorts. It is really neat. I will take a whole neighborhood full of Mexicans (the nongang bangers) over the neighbors I have now-anyday.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
La Raza translates to "the Race". Its actual meaning is pride for the race of the hispanic.
There is no such thing as a 'Hispanic' race-------despite La Raza's platform.

In fact: the whitest country in the New World is probably Argentina, racially speaking.

La Raza is a 'Gringo' invention by a group of Mestizos-------true Hispanic culture is very White Supremacist--------the standard of beauty (even in Mexico) is white skin and blue eyes.

Look at any telenovela.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 AM

40 posts, read 246,073 times
terrapin2212- Well to a degree I disagree with you. I don't think anyone should disrespect American culture (whatever that means these days since American culture has become so interchangeable with so many other cultures) but I know lots of people that tell me I should drink or hang out with them at a bar or ask why I don't go out and date and if I say no to that they always tell me I need to "assimilate" more, just like you are saying.

I was born here in America, and my belief is that there are lots of good things about American culture but theres some things that I would never do as a Muslim such as go to a bar and drink etc...I assimilate to a degree..I listen to American music, I wear American clothes, etc but holding on to your own beliefs shouldn't be looked down upon either and people shouldn't think you want to be less american or dont respect american culture because you choose to stay away from some things that are so accepted in american culture but not accepted by your beliefs. I think if you have no reservations about completely assimilating in every way to american culture than that is totally fine. But if you do choose to not do certain things that should be respected as well. Aslong as you do not disrespect or look down on the people who live around you, everyone should be able to co-exist.

by the way, sometimes I do speak persian when I am out in public, usually with my mom since her english isnt that good...I dont think theres anything wrong with that...so i dont understand what you mean.

I think its fine that you have assimilated completely but you are always going to be ASIAN-american and I am sure you take pride in both sides of the hyphen.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 AM

551 posts, read 1,590,339 times
I am sad to see that Mexican-American relations have gone sour. One of my best childhood friends was Mexican. We spent many happy days playing together...

LadmoFan

Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I appreciate so much that you put so much emphasis on the word "perception" is ......
It really is perception. I work with Mexicans and they really do want to understand English. It is much harder (as a language student/teacher myself) to learn English from Spanish rather than the other way around. Also the reason they were holding the Mexican flags was similar to those who still think having a confederate flag is ok. It is part of your history and heritage. It is pride. It shows that you will not knock me so far down as to be embarrised of who I am. No one would want to have to leave their homes and families to come to another country where they do not speak the language, and have to come here illegally and have a possibilty of dying getting here. These people just want to earn a living. They send money home to support their wives and children. There are always bad appples in every bunch, but for the most part, I have nothing but nice things to say about Mexicans. These people are my friends. I have learned Spanish. I am not perfect at it and I practice with them, and have them practice their English with me. There is nothing wrong with learning another language-as a matter of fact, I think there is something wrong with not wanting to be able to speak another language. There is a "high" of sorts for me when I can understand this secret code of sorts. It is really neat. I will take a whole neighborhood full of Mexicans (the nongang bangers) over the neighbors I have now-anyday.
The reason I put emphasis on the word "perception" is for the very reason you mentioned, because I too have Mexican friends whom I love and respect. They too are working hard to learn English so they can better themselves here and assimilate. Unfortunately, they are in the minority.

I don't think there is anything wrong with learning another language either. However, I do have a problem with people being forced to learn a language in order to cater to people who come to this country illegally and have no interest in learning the language spoken here. I would not expect to be catered to in this way if I moved to another country, nor would I be. The problem with the numbers of illegal Hispanic people in this country is not that they are bad people, it is simply because we can no longer support the numbers streaming in.

I truly believe they hurt their cause by marching to demand rights as illegals. Do some research on immigration to Mexico and look at what you would be allowed to do as a non-Mexican in their country (even if you immigrate legally)and compare it with what is happening here. If we want to continue to help the Mexican lower class, we should help them to improve their position in Mexico. When they protest in our streets, they are simply protesting in the wrong country.

Brandishing a Mexican flag at a protest rally for illegal rights is not a show of pride, it is a slap in the face of legal Americans. I think it was a costly mistake; that slap in the face woke up a lot of Americans who were not speaking openly about the issues prior to the protests.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM

28 posts, read 135,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
I am sad to see that Mexican-American relations have gone sour. One of my best childhood friends was Mexican. We spent many happy days playing together...

LadmoFan
I sooo know what you mean. The Alicia's and Mariano's, Gloria's and Carlo's. I loved my Mexican friends and if I had had my way my last name would be Morales (Please forgive my spelling)but it wasn't meant to be.
I have so many fond memories, I couldn't wait to get to Gloria's house to beg her grandmother for a warm tortilla with butter mmm!
Thanks for reminding me of the good times.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post

LadmoFan
As am I. I sadly don't have any childhood memories of growing up with Mexican friends because I lived in a part of the country where there wasn't a lot of diversity. I much prefer having other cultures and genetic heritage around me, as I do now. There is so much to learn from others. The Hispanic culture especially is so beautiful and family oriented and loving. I have benefited greatly from knowing my Hispanic friends.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Brandishing a Mexican flag at a protest rally for illegal rights is not a show of pride, it is a slap in the face of legal Americans. I think it was a costly mistake; that slap in the face woke up a lot of Americans who were not speaking openly about the issues prior to the protests.
Just to clarify, they (the protesters) might have meant it (carrying Mexican flags) to show pride of their heritage, but the message it sent was... their loyalties are with Mexico. That coupled with their leaders saying most have no interest in becoming citizens, only living here to work and send money home; and not wanting to learn English, sent a message saying they want to use this country and it's citizens, not join us. If they want to become citizens, learn English, show loyalty to the U.S. and be productive members of society, then I think they will be welcomed with open arms. BUT they must wait their turn and come here legally. We can no longer afford the masses coming here illegally. There are restrictions for a reason. If any citizens of another country flooded in here illegally like they do from Mexico, those of us who are not racially motivated, would be just as upset.

As for those who are racially motivated against Hispanics or any others different from them, I truly feel sorry for them. They are missing out on the best part of being in the U.S. The opportunity we have here to learn from each other and embrace other heritages and cultures. We can do that without losing sight of our own. It's what makes the U.S. great!

Last edited by Arizona Annie; 11-05-2007 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Correction and addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area