Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM

391 posts, read 789,366 times

Advertisements

I'm a canuck. Have some rifles/shotguns. Shot thousands of rounds, bagged many deer, gophers ducks etc . Very comfortable with firearms. Find our restrictions to be a PIA because of the paperwork. Never felt I was being restricted.

But I am surprised by the gun passion in AZ! I go to Cabella's or sporting goods stores and people are lined up buying firearms . Everywhere we go, people talk about guns. Virtually all my neighbors have a few. Some people say they feel sorry for me living in Canada with our gun laws. They thought I was from Mars when I said most of us don't even think about it. They have heard people sometimes need to wait months to get a gun permit. Or that we cant' carry revolvers around freely. I said, "so"? Most of us could care less. I might chat at length to 200 different people a year in Canada on everything from sports to movies. Canadian gun laws never come up, except with my brother because he hates the paperwork hassle....but he's a fanatical hunter.

So it is strange for me personally to see people so passionate about guns.

I don't judge it. I notice it. I think I get it. Arizonan's want guns....because everyone else has one!!! I'd like one too (because everyone else has one) but can't legally obtain one, and I won't take the chance of doing something illegal in a country where I am a guest.

PS: we do get taxed heavy!! But life aint that bad up there that I need to get away

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-08-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM

681 posts, read 1,562,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
PS: we do get taxed heavy!! But life aint that bad up there that I need to get away
Life isn't.. but the weather is, or you wouldn't go to Arizona....

Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM

391 posts, read 789,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Life isn't.. but the weather is, or you wouldn't go to Arizona....
True!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,008,601 times
The left and The Olde Media are counter-productive. Their blantant anti-Second Amendment propaganda does nothing but influence more ownership and make their opponants more vocal and mobilized.

I am quite curious as to why a paper in Calgary would write about gun culture in AZ. It's not topical to Calgary or Alberta or Canada and if it weren't for the Safeway shooting it wouldn't be newsworthy here.

I can only assume the press in Calgary is struggling and grasping at straws much like The Arizona Republic.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,498,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The left and The Olde Media are counter-productive. Their blantant anti-Second Amendment propaganda does nothing but influence more ownership and make their opponants more vocal and mobilized.

I am quite curious as to why a paper in Calgary would write about gun culture in AZ. It's not topical to Calgary or Alberta or Canada and if it weren't for the Safeway shooting it wouldn't be newsworthy here.

I can only assume the press in Calgary is struggling and grasping at straws much like The Arizona Republic.
Read my post in this thread.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,542,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Of course it's topical to Calgary and the reason it was topical was stated in the title: snowbirds. Vast numbers of Calgarians have second homes in Phoenix or spend significant amounts of time there, which is why they'd be writing about Arizona and not some other US locale, most of whom have a similar gun culture I gather. It's useful in explaining a common culture clash that many Canadians aren't expecting or don't understand, given other spheres of life that are quite similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: