Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,025,996 times

Advertisements

I booked a couple of tickets to Phoenix for this April. This will be my second time visiting there. Last time I visited during March 2012 and just loved it there. I couldn't believe how cool and crisp the mornings were in March. I would get up in the morning, walk over to the McDonald's downtown for some coffee, and then just walk around the Roosevelt district and downtown. Sometimes I'd rest at those freeway overpasses to "take it all in". I love all the cars and action.

It will be a little warmer in April but should still be comfortable. As long as it's dry I'm all good. I'll be taking my mother too. I've been selling the idea of moving there to both her and my dad for years. She finally can see how awesome it is there. And she's been dreaming of Rubio's fish tacos for years.

Just for the hell of it I might even apply at a couple of places while I'm there. I might even be able to a transfer out there at my current employer.

Anyway I'm looking forward to coming out there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

214 posts, read 402,433 times
It's a big difference from Tampa (your location). Our big dislike is the hot and really humid. We visited in mid-late July to see how hot it really became and if we could handle it. We were fortunate enough to experience really hot, but not humid (IMO) weather, a little rain, and a haboob, and decided if this was the worst it could get, we were fine with it. Just remember it's really hot for at least 7 months out of the year.

From my experience, even if you are in a high-demand field with good credentials and experience, places really prefer that you already live in PHX metro. If you can transfer, that would be great.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm not in a career type job yet. It's just a service job that pays about $10 an hour and happens to have stores in Phoenix. If I was to get hired I could be relocated and working there in a week. Nothing to lose by applying there or any other places. I'd sure love to work at that Amazon fulfillment center, that place is clean.

My mom would be mad If I got hired and moved there. Especially when I'm in college here. I'd have to transfer to ASU and yes it would prolong the degree. But at least I'd be enjoying my surroundings NOW. I try to explain to people that when I'm in a place that inspires me, I have have an abundance of energy, motivation and can accomplish a lot. But then why am I trying to get people's approval, especially from my mother when I'm a 38 year old man!

I'll admit, I don't have HUGE aspirations in life. Just the simple things appeal to me like doing some outdoor grilling on a dry desert night, the crunch of dirt gravel under my shoes, or not having dew settle on my car night after night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
It's a big difference from Tampa (your location). Our big dislike is the hot and really humid. We visited in mid-late July to see how hot it really became and if we could handle it. We were fortunate enough to experience really hot, but not humid (IMO) weather, a little rain, and a haboob, and decided if this was the worst it could get, we were fine with it. Just remember it's really hot for at least 7 months out of the year.

From my experience, even if you are in a high-demand field with good credentials and experience, places really prefer that you already live in PHX metro. If you can transfer, that would be great.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Might be moving there in a couple months

It looks like this Phoenix dream might happen sooner than I think. My mom, brother, and myself are planning a move there in about a couple months. That is, assuming my mom likes the city on our visit in a week which I think she will. We have a whole week to spend there, so we're going to check out some house rentals too. Between her, my brother, me and eventually my father, I think we can live pretty cheap together.

Then I'm going to transfer to ASU, and hopefully I can get into their accountancy program. I'm going to work real hard out there and make things happen. I want to prove to everybody that it was indeed a geographic change I needed to inspire me. I've read some posts that sort of described Phoenix as a transient city where ne'er-do-wells go to start over. One guy said, "you get divorced, you move to PHX...you get out of jail...move to PHX. Whether it's true or not, I like that perception about the city. I'm looking to start over myself. There is an uplifting feel to Phoenix and I think that's what draws people there.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 AM

205 posts, read 296,924 times
It sounds like you are open-minded and motivated to make a change. That's half the battle. If you are not willing to change, then you have already lost. I think will end up doing quite well since you are looking forward to this move. Keep it up

Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,436,551 times
But stay far away from that Amazon hell hole.... They treat the employees , to say it nuce, not al that great...

Google it.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,649,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post

Nothing personal but isn't that a bit of a stretch??? Take this week for example. It's going to be in the 90's for a couple of days and that's about as hot as it gets in April. 90 with 10% humidity is pretty nice.
To me, the only REALLY hot times are in August and early September because of the humidity of the monsoon season. If it's dry, 105 degrees really isn't too bad but that's just me.
In my case, it's the humidity that gets you, not the temperature....

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
It looks like this Phoenix dream might happen sooner than I think. My mom, brother, and myself are planning a move there in about a couple months. That is, assuming my mom likes the city on our visit in a week which I think she will. We have a whole week to spend there, so we're going to check out some house rentals too. Between her, my brother, me and eventually my father, I think we can live pretty cheap together.

Then I'm going to transfer to ASU, and hopefully I can get into their accountancy program. I'm going to work real hard out there and make things happen. I want to prove to everybody that it was indeed a geographic change I needed to inspire me. I've read some posts that sort of described Phoenix as a transient city where ne'er-do-wells go to start over. One guy said, "you get divorced, you move to PHX...you get out of jail...move to PHX. Whether it's true or not, I like that perception about the city. I'm looking to start over myself. There is an uplifting feel to Phoenix and I think that's what draws people there.
I was in your place a few years ago. I dreamed of getting out of Oregon, leaving all the cold and rain behind me. It took me 4 years to accomplish that. I brought my mother (83 years) and my older brother with me. It is the best thing I've ever done in my life. Well, the exception is my wonderful daughter but other than that, the best.
All of us absolutely love, and I mean LOVE it here including my now 86 year old mother. You can read my threads and you'll see how much I love it here. I could be the poster boy for the Arizona Chamber of Commerce. My mother loves the warm weather, the blue skies and the wonderful sunsets we have almost every day of the year.
Be prepared that when you move, you'll have visitors from where you moved from and it seems they will all want to move here. That's what's happening to me. My daughter is moving here, my best friend moved here a few months ago and it looks like I have a couple of others that are going to try to move here in the next year or so. Even my sister in law that lives in Huntington Beach California likes it here and is considering retiring here so be prepared to be a host.
Good luck to you sir....

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,675,688 times
August and early September was when I decided to move here. The realtor told me is was the humid time of year and I looked at her like she was nuts. Humid and 90 in Ohio is a lot worse than 110 here.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Default I'm moving to Sun City

I thought I'd follow up on my post. My mom and I got back from Phoenix a few days ago. The weather was real nice during our stay.We spent most of our time just exploring the valley in our rental car. She really liked Sun City, and put in an offer on a beautiful early 70's ranch home. The offer was accepted, we got the loan, and we're moving there within 2 months. Perhaps we should have rented out there first, but the emotional draw of the house was overpowering. The back porch is the most laid-back tranquil place I've ever sat down.

I've got a few years till I'm 55, but I love the neighborhood, it's absolutely gorgeous. Every home looks brand new. It's perfect for my parents as there is plenty of golf and social activities. The old people even seemed friendlier than the ones in Florida. It's like they're all in a good mood. And I don't feel isolated there because we're just off of 99th Ave. You get out to Bell Road and you're right in the action with the general public.

I'll find a little job around the NW valley, something to pay rent to my parents and get me through school. I'll be attending the ASU west campus, it's only 7 miles from our house. There's even an indoor RC car racing track less than 4 miles away. This house is going to satisfy everybody's needs, and we'll save money all living together.

I've been dreaming of moving to Phoenix for years, spending countless hours surfing google maps. This is a dream come true for me.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,649,992 times
Congratulations. If you like it here even half as much as I do, you'll be a happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area