Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times

Advertisements

Needless to say, Phoenix does not have cultural amenities to compare to New York City. But just remember, Phoenix is not that far from Los Angeles, a veritable art mecca. It's not close enough to drive and come back in one day, but certainly do-able for weekend excursions. I go to LA for shows at the Staples Center or the Honda Center in Orange Co. and make a weekend of museums and the beach. In fact, may I suggest making a weekend in California a part of your July trip so you can show your wife and daughter the variety that is available.

To me, worrying about future lack-of-water issues beats worrying about floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. And a possible loss of electricity in the future due to climate change beats having electrical outages right now due to summer storms AND winter ice bringing down trees and power lines.

Finally, for those people who decry the expensiveness in Arizona of registering a car in Arizona, please remember it's only new and/or expensive cars that cost a lot. My older model Chevrolet is registered here for less than I've paid in any of the many places I've lived. My insurance is cheaper, too. Every kind: car, health, and homeowners. Not to mention my total utilities.

Mikeanajessse, please let us know how your visit goes in July. Good luck.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-29-2013 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
Make the move the beautiful scenery mountain views and lack of traffic will be a good change. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. the thing I miss most is the food and the down to earth people. I have lived in many states and the only one I really want to stay in is Arizona. I live in Scottsdale and love it...

Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,662,809 times
FWIW, there are plenty of happy, well-adjusted NY'ers living in the Phoenix area. In fact, I would go so far as to say that NY'ers in the Phoenix are happier and more well-adjusted overall than their counterparts in other states like FL, GA, and NC. Reason is that most NY'ers who move to AZ, like the rest of us who moved to AZ from elsewhere, are looking for a 180-degree change in terms of weather, scenery, lifestyle, culture, and so forth--something you wouldn't experience if you were to the Southeast, for the most part.

OTOH, transplanted NY'ers in states in FL, GA, and NC aren't really looking for a 180-degree change because, at the end of the day, much of the Southeast is quite similar to the Northeast, at least in terms of weather, scenery, and housing. It seems as though most NY'ers move to the Southeast for newer, more spacious, more affordable housing; for slightly warmer winter weather; and/or to be closer to family who has preceded them in moving down. They don't really move there to find themselves and/or develop a new outlook or way of life, so to speak.

Where the Northeast and Southeast differ is in terms of culture--most of the Southeast is a lot more socially conservative and religious than the Northeast, and that often makes for a difficult social adjustment, especially for NY'ers. In addition to harboring very socially conservative views, people in the Southeast don't particularly care for "Yankees" all that much. If any of that matters, AZ has neither of those issues. AZ has a classic live-and-let-live Western vibe--very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn here); open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. Almost everyone here is from somewhere else. Most folks here are from CA or the Midwest, although NY is well-represented, too. I'm not from NY, but I am from the Northeast (RI), and I will have you know that I find AZ to be an easier place to live than most, if not all, of the Southeast. Simply stated, the people here are easier to live around.

At the end of the day, the success of one's relocation to AZ is usually almost entirely dependent to the reasons why they moved here in the first place. For example, if you're moving to AZ to enjoy the warm, dry, sunny weather and the rugged, majestic terrain; immerse yourself in the culture of the desert Southwest, including Native-American and Mexican-American subcultures; and/or take advantage of the multitude of outdoor recreational opportunities, then I'm certain that you'll adjust well to life in AZ and enjoy living here.

Echoing the sentiment of previous posters, moving to AZ two years ago has been refreshing, rejuvenating, and fulfilling for me personally, and at this stage of my life, I can't really picture myself living elsewhere. If you're not willing to adjust on a mental, emotional, social, and cultural level, then AZ probably isn't for you, and you should probably look into a place like FL instead, which has a lot more Northeastern flavor, if you will, and is home to more cranky NY'ers than NY itself.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 AM

86 posts, read 237,325 times
Old post coming round!!Ny to Az two good posts with good points thanks again.I for one am definetely looking for change from the human rat race that is Nyc to a quieter slower paced lifestyle in Az.New york is great place to visit and has tons to offer everyone.But definetly not an easy place to live housing is beyond ridicoulos and cost of living in general is beyond belief.To live comfortably in Nyc you are either poor or rich.Poor living off the system or rich where price means nothing,the middle class are like suckers,high taxes,beyond stupid tolls,losing a days pay parking tickets strangle you to no end.The roads are horrible,winter is a *****,press one for english is is part of everyday life it is a melting pot of garbage.Every race under the sun is represented here,which is what America is about, but when there is no desire to speak english or conform to the country you decided to live in, you should have just stayed from where you came from.I could go on and on!!! I will be calling Az my new home in the not so distant future,as for Ny you can keep it. You are not user friendly anymore.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 AM

339 posts, read 934,996 times
I'm moving to AZ from Long Island in September. I've had enough of Long Island winters and Long Island in general for the last 30 plus years.

Good luck to you OP.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,740,794 times
Please have jobs lined up before you make the move. The cost of living may be lower, but so is the pay! I spoke with ASU President Michael Crow about this issue prior to summer break and he acknowledged that the valley was a tough place to retain young educated talent, aside from the few tech firms, because of the low pay. Make another visit. The southwest can be breathtaking at times, but it can also be heartbreaking if your ducks aren't lined up.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM

639 posts, read 974,303 times
I would agree on at least lining up SOMETHING. Even a temp job while you continue to look. We moved out without jobs in 2010 (I own a business but it would take time to get that back up to running smoothly in a new state). It was pretty stressful the first few weeks. Thankfully it only took my husband about 4 weeks to find a job. We were in the minority, we knew of some people that took upwards of 3-6 months to find one.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM

86 posts, read 237,325 times
Definitely sound advice for someone making this type of move.As for myself i will be to Az with a pension.My wife and myself will be looking for part time work nothing serious.Staying cooped up together for too long with not much to do is liable to turn into a scene from the Shining."HERE'S JOHNNY"

Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,486,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
the valley was a tough place to retain young educated talent, aside from the few tech firms, because of the low pay.
Not sure if I'd classify it as just "a few tech firms" and one is out of luck with a good paying job. For example, there are a good deal of well paying health care jobs in the Phoenix metro. Count all the hospitals, private offices, various clinics, and the presence of businesses like the Mayo Clinic in the valley.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times
Thanks to the OP for sending us an update. I have a feeling he will find life in Arizona to be much more relaxed and cheaper than living in New York. I know I was considering buying a house in New Jersey before I came here for reasons that were not my own and I still can't believe how much cheaper it is to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area