Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,715,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Jam a potato in the exhaust pipe so the car won't start.
the car will start with a potato in the exhaust, and blow the potato out a few seconds later, if there's another car next to the one with the potato in the exhaust, it might leave a dent. I can't tell you why I know this fact, lets just say it's based on real-world observations... ;-)

Now, a *banana* in the exhaust will result in severe drivability issues, and likely a tow to the Buick dealer.. (it *is* a Buick, isn't it?.. it's *always* a Buick..)... In fact, you may want to call the Sun City Buick dealer for advice, as this is an issue they likely have a *lot* of experience with..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,272,783 times
From the op it sounds like disabling the car isn't an option. The family may only be visiting occasionally. In which case there isn't much they can do other than talking with their father. Then with local law enforcement and asking them to keep an eye out.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM

284 posts, read 701,872 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The family has had the "you shouldn't be driving, we'll be happy to take you anywhere" conversation MANY times. And the younger family members have medical problems that prohibit them from sitting and watching the car.
It sounds to me like all they can do is have him declared incompetent - how long will that take and how much does it cost? Or is there any agency in Sun City that will help?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM

681 posts, read 1,562,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The family has had the "you shouldn't be driving, we'll be happy to take you anywhere" conversation MANY times. And the younger family members have medical problems that prohibit them from sitting and watching the car.
It sounds to me like all they can do is have him declared incompetent - how long will that take and how much does it cost? Or is there any agency in Sun City that will help?
I'm not sure how that would help? You stated that he doesn't have a license or insurance.. how is this declaration going to stop him? Do you mean having him removed from his house and forcibly institutionalized? I'm not sure that driving illegally would be grounds for that extreme of a measure...

Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,583,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyNYC90 View Post
I agree with Unit731.

Perhaps a serious conversation, followed by a list of solutions, will help. He must realize that he is not losing his freedom or dignity in giving up driving, but is risking his life and the lives of many others by continuing to drive.

Best,
Jonny
I agree and for someone who isn't anywhere near close to 94 years old and who had lost his driving rights due to a eye sight condition it humbles you!
Family members need to step up and drive him around.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM

537 posts, read 1,547,742 times
Call a locksmith to get the garage open and to open the car while Matlock is on. The car can be hidden at the neighbor's for a while or gotten rid of all together. Are there any other cars at the house? If he wants to report it stolen you can wink at the investigating officer and make okie dokey hand gestures. If the vehicle is uninsured it would not be replaced if stolen anyway. I'll bet they can get a solution from law enforcement. They've probably seen this many times. Maybe law enforcement could have a talk with him. He could be mad at them and not you.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Quote:
The agency you need to contact is the his doctor who I presume had initiated his license removal. He needs a good talking to about his responsibilities. Maybe a scare into him about being arrested and thrown into jail for a day or more if he's caught negligently driving and creates a accident or manslaughter if someone is killed.
You might be able to get help from someone at the License Bureau to explain to him his consequences. Call the SC Posse and maybe they could talk to him too. Call the Maricopa County Sheriff Dept and ask them what they recommend or who you can contact. This situation would seem to be a priority and resolved ASAP.
He needs to realize the seriousness of the problem he'll be causing himself and family members as well as others.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times
Quote:
The family also has very little money for lawyers. What can they do?
Quote:
Sorry to say this, but it kind of sounds as if he's outlived their expectations, and now they're chomping at the bit trying to figure ways to get his house and car from him. He's an adult, and a person can't just be "declared incompetent" because he drives illegally and doesn't listen to his relatives.

You got the advice: Call the Sheriffs Department and neighboring police departments.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,362,373 times
What has dignity got to do with being able to drive.

On the other hand sabatoge is illegal. To say law enforcement can't do anything is untrue. Get ahold of a judge, get and order and have the car removed with a tow truck and disposed of with the proceeds going to the old guy. He can't buy another without a license.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
He can't buy another without a license.
He can buy another car without a driver's license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: