Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,443,524 times

Advertisements

Lived in Buckeye because it was quiet and a bit sleepy.
Ran away in '01.
Al those folks moving to AZ for the beautiful views. Maybe with a periscope....
Everybody lives behind a wall. And that ain't living.
I bet 95% of al the people don't have more in the bank than the last paycheck.... Phoenix has hardly any industry, just wharehouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Lived in Buckeye because it was quiet and a bit sleepy.
Ran away in '01.
Al those folks moving to AZ for the beautiful views. Maybe with a periscope....
Everybody lives behind a wall. And that ain't living.
I bet 95% of al the people don't have more in the bank than the last paycheck.... Phoenix has hardly any industry, just wharehouses.
Whew, misread your post and was shocked until I reread it and realized you said WAREhouses .
I'm with you on the wall thing not to mention keeping fairly insulated within their houses that are stacked right on top of each other and many forgetting manners or common courtesy with their neighbors so it's not just brick walls we're talking about.

That's one thing I miss, having any neighbors at least 2 acres from me so if they're self absorbed jerks it doesn't impact me (as much).

Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,993,124 times
I'd have to agree with most of you.
When I lived in Phoenix the second time 2005-2010, I always said that the growth is a good thing, Phoenix is well on its way to becoming a very important area for this country and that Arizona was on the up.

However, with gas prices surely to rise in the next few years and the ridiculous sprawl up there, I really don't want to see more sprawl. I would love to see Downtown Phoenix/The Central Corridor , the Camelback Corridor, the Scottsdale Road Corridor and the Mill Corridor form some Urban area. No more sprawl, Arizona needs Phoenix to expand up not out the pollution is already insane up there. I find it worse and worse every time I visit. Let's also hope that Phoenix grows into the desert instead of into Palm Trees and Grass, I'd love some personality to Arizona's crown jewel (economically).

Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,517,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I'm confused why flagstaff hasn't grown. NAU and skiing is fine, but why hasn't there been more growth beyond being a college town?
Lack of industry outside of tourism, probably. The biggest employers here are NAU and Gore, followed by federal and state governmental agencies (US forest service is obviously a large employer around these parts).

That said, the Flagstaff area grew from around 57,000 in 2000 to 65,000 by 2010 according to the US Census. I just got a notice in the mail last week that my zip code would be changing because of the population boom that we experienced in the last 13 years.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,362,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
What are the demographics of this population explosion? Are we including childbirths or just people moving here from Indiana? There certainly were a lot of people downtown this evening with Comicon going on. I almost ran over a zombie.
A zombie is already dead, so you're in the clear. I think vampires and werewolves are fair game, too. Just don't hit any starship pilots.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
However, with gas prices surely to rise in the next few years and the ridiculous sprawl up there, I really don't want to see more sprawl. I would love to see Downtown Phoenix/The Central Corridor , the Camelback Corridor, the Scottsdale Road Corridor and the Mill Corridor form some Urban area. No more sprawl, Arizona needs Phoenix to expand up not out the pollution is already insane up there. I find it worse and worse every time I visit. Let's also hope that Phoenix grows into the desert instead of into Palm Trees and Grass, I'd love some personality to Arizona's crown jewel (economically).
There are so many empty lots in downtown Phoenix it annoys me. As a visitor, it makes me think the city of Phoenix is not business friendly. People laugh at the idea of walking outside in the middle of summer. Have you stood under a tree when it's 105-110? It feels amazing. NYC works for NYC. But I don't want to see Phoenix look like NYC at all, being we have so many empty lots, we can plan this right.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,321,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
There are so many empty lots in downtown Phoenix it annoys me. As a visitor, it makes me think the city of Phoenix is not business friendly. People laugh at the idea of walking outside in the middle of summer. Have you stood under a tree when it's 105-110? It feels amazing. NYC works for NYC. But I don't want to see Phoenix look like NYC at all, being we have so many empty lots, we can plan this right.
I agree, and that's where the majority of development should be occurring ... in the many vacant lots that pepper the city. Fill those in with something of quality before building more cookie cutter crap in the exurbs! Downtown really doesn't have vacant lots as far as I know. It's the north Central Corridor that has the hit & miss development. Go along Central Avenue between McDowell & Camelback, and you'll find highrises next to large ugly vacant spaces. A few of those lots were once occupied by businesses, but they were torn down & never revitalized as they should have been. Even the light rail hasn't spurred the development that its strong advocates said would happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,008,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree, and that's where the majority of development should be occurring ... in the many vacant lots that pepper the city. Fill those in with something of quality before building more cookie cutter crap in the exurbs! Downtown really doesn't have vacant lots as far as I know. It's the north Central Corridor that has the hit & miss development. Go along Central Avenue between McDowell & Camelback, and you'll find highrises next to large ugly vacant spaces. A few of those lots were once occupied by businesses, but they were torn down & never revitalized as they should have been. Even the light rail hasn't spurred the development that its strong advocates said would happen.
Downtown actually has quite a few vacant lots. Between the 7s, north of Van Buren and south of Roosevelt - many, many vacant lots. The area is mostly residential, but it could be something very interesting with more infill.

As far as the core itself - Vacant, wasted space is found in the form of surface parking lots.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Even the light rail hasn't spurred the development that its strong advocates said would happen.
Tempe is doing something right.

Tempe announces $600M office development deal near ASU, Town Lake - Ahwatukee Foothills News: Money

Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,956,848 times
This is a big deal, they have a huge presence in Illinois. I wonder if it this is the first part of a transition phase to get out of Ill because they know they state will be experiencing many future and current financial shortfalls because of the huge union presence there.
They know the companies that do not go under in Illinois will be taxed to death to make up for the loss of taxes from those that go under or leave the state. I think you will be seeing this happen more and more in the high tax states which is very good for sunny, non-union Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area