Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
There is a house in our subdivision that has two large constantly barking German Shepard Dogs in the back yard that stay out 24/7. They have a view fence so you can see in there yard when you walk on the walkway that goes right along their backyard. Most times the water bowl is tipped over and empty and I wonder how those woolly dogs survive out there in the middle of summer. They have no trees in the backyard so it is constant sun on the dogs.

Our dog is an inside dog and in the heat she does not even want to go out to reliever herself and we have to force her.
I would contact a GSD rescue (Southwest German Shepherds Rescue) to see if they can at least educate the owner. If all else fails, I'd call animal control. Better to die humanely than suffer, IMO. It's against the law to have animals outside unprotected from the elements and without water.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
I totally agree. Call someone or knock on their door and clue them in. Animals have rights too.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:37 PM

57 posts, read 109,731 times
Do not keep them outside. That's the big one. Same w/ in cars.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
I agree about the German Sheps, poor dogs! I would be calling too.

What is odd is my dogs like to sunbathe, I don't allow them outside very long but if I let them out to do their business (or they see/sense a lizard on the fence and go nuts, so I let them out to go after it - they never get them of course) I will give them a few minutes, then go back to let them in. I see them lounging in the grass, sunbathing in 100 degree temps. They will let me know when they are ready to come in, but I don't allow them to do that for more than a few minutes. It surprises me that they like to do that in the first place.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,996,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Don't leave them in the car!
Even if you "crack the windows". I can't believe how many times I read this in the paper or hear about it, it's just unnecessary.
Yes, those people should be fined a small fortune, it seems thats the only way to wake people up. It does seem to happen every year. I'm always most appalled when I hear of a cop that left his K9 partner in the car and it ends up dying from the heat. The cops should not only be fired but prosecuted for animal cruelty. I've taken in strays for many years, fed and captured feral cats, the things I've seen, its no wonder I'm cynical about people. I don't understand why people let their cats outside at all, its less litter box cleaning, I suppose thats why many do it. But they shouldn't be running loose just too many things can happen. Cats really don't take the heat very well either. If people want to let them out, build them an enclosed cage for the patio. I don't see why people even have pets if they them out 24/7 like that. Those big dogs need a large heavy bowl. The owners apparently are too stupid to realize that or just don't care. We have come so far with high tech gadgets, too bad kindness, compassion and humanity haven't progressed at the same pace.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM

550 posts, read 1,129,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My poor pups are already having a hard time walking on the patio. It should be illegal to leave your dog outside in AZ.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There paw pads can get burned on the hot cement. Get them little shoes for walks.
They might feel humiliated at first but they will thank you later.

OH, and don't forget the hat.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
There is a house in our subdivision that has two large constantly barking German Shepard Dogs in the back yard that stay out 24/7. They have a view fence so you can see in there yard when you walk on the walkway that goes right along their backyard. Most times the water bowl is tipped over and empty and I wonder how those woolly dogs survive out there in the middle of summer. They have no trees in the backyard so it is constant sun on the dogs.

Our dog is an inside dog and in the heat she does not even want to go out to reliever herself and we have to force her.
If their water bowl is tipped over and empty you should report them. And they should have a place with some shade.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I agree about the German Sheps, poor dogs! I would be calling too.

What is odd is my dogs like to sunbathe, I don't allow them outside very long but if I let them out to do their business (or they see/sense a lizard on the fence and go nuts, so I let them out to go after it - they never get them of course) I will give them a few minutes, then go back to let them in. I see them lounging in the grass, sunbathing in 100 degree temps. They will let me know when they are ready to come in, but I don't allow them to do that for more than a few minutes. It surprises me that they like to do that in the first place.
What kind of dogs do you have ? One of my daughter's chihuahua loves to sun bathe, he is always cold. Mine who is a Maltese does not stay out more than he has to when it is hot. We will be working the yard in the sun and he will stay in the patio in the shade.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
What kind of dogs do you have ? One of my daughter's chihuahua loves to sun bathe, he is always cold. Mine who is a Maltese does not stay out more than he has to when it is hot. We will be working the yard in the sun and he will stay in the patio in the shade.
They are mutts, but mostly lab. They will lay on the grass, where there is no shade, and I go to the door to let them in and sometimes they'll just lay there and look at me like, "no, not yet!" it's really weird. But mostly when I open the door they come in anyway, but if I don't they are content to lay there. If I don't let them in, after a few minutes they let me know they are done, so I don't worry about them. They came from the hot and humid southeast so I guess they are more aclimated to warmth. We moved for a few years to a climate that once in awhile got snow. I'll never forget the first time they saw it, they refused to go outside, looked at it then me like WTF is this?!?! Eventually they had to go potty, then the grew to like it. It was so much fun playing out in the snow with them. I do miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area