Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,240,281 times

Advertisements

Before anyone moves to Phoenix, please understand here that wages are very low, to the point where it might not be financially advantageous to do so. To those that live here permanently, it's time to start protesting low wages. I think middle and lower middle class workers (< $40,000 yr) in the Phoenix metropolitan area should start engaging in peaceful, law abiding protests that communicate to business leaders that workers in this town will no longer tolerate platry wages. Phoenix is no longer an inexpensive place to live like it used to be, and those who move here under this illusion that's "it's so cheap to live out there, who cares if most jobs pay under $10 an hour" are in for a rude awakening. Companies in Phoenix are exploiting the business and tax friendly nature of this state. Whether I'm employed or not, I look at the employment ads regularly and in the past 10 years in Phoenix, wages for most middle and lower income jobs have remained stagnant and in some cases have declined, while inflation and the cost of living continue to soar. Furthermore, because the Phoenix metro area is so crime ridden, living in a safe neighborhood, requires a rent that's on par with a similar safe neighorhood in San Diego or Orange Counties. In other words, in order to escape crime and unsavory people in this town, you have to rent in an upper class area, whereas in CA, you can feel safe in a middle class neighborhood because the crime rate is a lot lower. Check city-data.com for statistics and they will surprise you.
I think workers in this state should start boycotts and ingenious forms or law-abiding protests, info campaigns etc to tell companies that you can't live on less than $12 an hour here in metro Phoenix and that given the working conditions most employers in the valley offer and the cost of living, the new floor for most semi-skilled work should be $15 an hour. Tell CEO's they will reclaim any loss in profit by having a more happy, healthy and productive workforce, which will raise efficiency and negate any profit loss. I think it's time we start to change Arizona's reputation as a low wage state. Imagine if hundreds of thousands of people made a small sacrifice and didn't attend work for a couple days to send a message to employers about wage exploitation. What if tend of thousands of college students decided they weren't going to enroll in college because they don't see a return on their tuition and time investment, since most non engineering college grads in this town probably make less than $15 an hour. Tell employers to start rewarding a college degree since roughly only 25% of adults in the country posess one. Let's start valuing education and W2 work in this state. Let's start demanding that Phoenix metro area employers raise wages!!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

27,407 posts, read 27,455,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Before anyone moves to Phoenix, please understand here that wages are very low, to the point where it might not be financially advantageous to do so. To those that live here permanently, it's time to start protesting low wages. I think middle and lower middle class workers (< $40,000 yr) in the Phoenix metropolitan area should start engaging in peaceful, law abiding protests that communicate to business leaders that workers in this town will no longer tolerate platry wages. Phoenix is no longer an inexpensive place to live like it used to be, and those who move here under this illusion that's "it's so cheap to live out there, who cares if most jobs pay under $10 an hour" are in for a rude awakening. Companies in Phoenix are exploiting the business and tax friendly nature of this state. Whether I'm employed or not, I look at the employment ads regularly and in the past 10 years in Phoenix, wages for most middle and lower income jobs have remained stagnant and in some cases have declined, while inflation and the cost of living continue to soar. Furthermore, because the Phoenix metro area is so crime ridden, living in a safe neighborhood, requires a rent that's on par with a similar safe neighorhood in San Diego or Orange Counties. In other words, in order to escape crime and unsavory people in this town, you have to rent in an upper class area, whereas in CA, you can feel safe in a middle class neighborhood because the crime rate is a lot lower. Check city-data.com for statistics and they will surprise you.
I think workers in this state should start boycotts and ingenious forms or law-abiding protests, info campaigns etc to tell companies that you can't live on less than $12 an hour here in metro Phoenix and that given the working conditions most employers in the valley offer and the cost of living, the new floor for most semi-skilled work should be $15 an hour. Tell CEO's they will reclaim any loss in profit by having a more happy, healthy and productive workforce, which will raise efficiency and negate any profit loss. I think it's time we start to change Arizona's reputation as a low wage state. Imagine if hundreds of thousands of people made a small sacrifice and didn't attend work for a couple days to send a message to employers about wage exploitation. What if tend of thousands of college students decided they weren't going to enroll in college because they don't see a return on their tuition and time investment, since most non engineering college grads in this town probably make less than $15 an hour. Tell employers to start rewarding a college degree since roughly only 25% of adults in the country posess one. Let's start valuing education and W2 work in this state. Let's start demanding that Phoenix metro area employers raise wages!!

I know that wages will fluxuate everywhere but have to agree that sometimes with the cost of living in many areas, it doesnt always match up. Thats why most households need to have 2 incomes. Many people I know back in Az do agree though that with the cost of living going up the way it has over the past few years, many areas do need that extra boost.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM

39,128 posts, read 51,420,287 times
Quote:
When employers can't find workers at the wages offered, wages will go up. If that is not happening, no amount of protest is going to change things. People are just like any other commodity in the process and subject to the same laws of supply and demand. You could organize and strike, I guess, but in a right to work state someone else will get your job while you are out on the picket line.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM

461 posts, read 1,812,395 times
I think it depends on what you do for a living. I know in Phoenix, I'll make what I make in Michigan, maybe even a tad bit more (legal assistant.)

Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,334,734 times
Quote:
Before anyone moves to Phoenix, please understand here that wages are very low, to the point where it might not be financially advantageous to do so. To those that live here permanently, it's time to start protesting low wages. Let's start demanding that Phoenix metro area employers raise wages!!
I'm sorry but, the above is simply too funny!!! LOLOLOLOL

The unemployment rate is the Phoenix Metro area is 2.9% - one of the lowest in the nation (and, it is actually going lower)

Wages compared to the cost of living are not that out of line - check out the link for average wages (2006)

Salaries in Phoenix - What Jobs Pay in Phoenix Arizona - Pay Rates in Phoenix

Phoenix is now the 5th largest city in the nation

Home to 3 (soon to be 4) of the Fortune 500 companies

Home to major education centers

Etc

Don't like your income? Get educated and get a better job

Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,776,710 times
Very valid points, Greatday!

I have always lived by the theory that is isn't how much one makes as much as how much one has left over after paying the bills.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM

419 posts, read 1,527,656 times
If the types of companies that hire here are inclined to pay poorly, then it's because they have the supply of workers who will accept poor pay.

Companies will always locate where the workforce meets their needs. If PHX didn't have a healthy supply of low wage workers, the company would find somewhere else.

It's funny, this sounds like the same argument that if people don't buy gas for a day or two in protest, oil companies would lower the price. Trying to organize people to forego gas is akin to getting them to refuse to feed their familes by not working.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,193,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm sorry but, the above is simply too funny!!! LOLOLOLOL

The unemployment rate is the Phoenix Metro area is 2.9% - one of the lowest in the nation (and, it is actually going lower)

Wages compared to the cost of living are not that out of line - check out the link for average wages (2006)

Salaries in Phoenix - What Jobs Pay in Phoenix Arizona - Pay Rates in Phoenix

Phoenix is now the 5th largest city in the nation

Home to 3 (soon to be 4) of the Fortune 500 companies

Home to major education centers

Etc

Don't like your income? Get educated and get a better job
I agree as well. It all has to do with what you do for a living. If you don't make enough then you have to find something that does, or somehow add more income doing something on the side.

I have been discussing my income lately in the social services being low for a MA and a lic. I want more money, and I know protesting probably won't work, so I opened up a private practice to supplement my income. I am also doing a kind of treatment that ANYONE can do making $100/hour or more.

I have a friend who works for P&G making $22/hr WITHOUT a HS diploma!! Yes, it took him a few years to get to that pay (he's been there 12 years) but it's doable. I have another friend who makes $15/hr as a grocery store cashier (and he has a BA degree).

Find something that WILL pay the bills and get you living in a nice part of town. I delivered pizza's for Domino's while in undergrad and I made $16-20/hr!

Though I do believe that many jobs don't pay well, I also do believe that it's not entirely the fault of employers. Our RE market jumped incredible amounts due to many sources that really shouldn't have. How are employers supposed to react to that? It will take time.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,113,763 times
The way that I tackled this issue was to have the Mrs. get a third job.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,193,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
The way that I tackled this issue was to have the Mrs. get a third job.
haha, I'm sure she loves you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area