Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,014,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Bwahahahahaha.

He/she didn't answer the "where are you moving to" question. If it's Atlanta I imagine he will be shocked by the humidity or the drought.

Also, he/she is from Irvine. IRVINE! The land of beige. Couldn't quite make it there then moved to a far out sub-urb of Phx and whines.
Love the sarcasm. Believe it or not many people HATE Phoenix and others love it. He was just voicing his opinion and your being a bit rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,331,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
If people would stop saying it a dry heat. Maybe more would not complain so much. I live in San Antonio and id take 95 and humidity over 110 any day. (lived in phoenix for five years) I agree with many posters on this board. Phoenix is awesome if your retired but really there are only so many movies coming out! (for us younger people)
I lived in San Antonio for years and LOVED it - that's how we ended up here. Long story and boy do I regret not holding out for San Antonio. I used to go to Corpus all the time to go to the beach, it was barely over an hour away on a straight highway (it's very easy to speed on that darn thing! LOL)
Phoenix just doesn't have many festivals or activities for families. (And the fair is thugland, unfortunately MUCH of Phoenix is thugland.) I used to LOVE Schleterbaun Waterpark (sp) and New Braunfels for Octoberfest was always fun. Not to mention Busch Gardens is right around the corner too. San Antonio, in my opinion, is the IDEAL place to bring up a family!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,014,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I lived in San Antonio for years and LOVED it - that's how we ended up here. Long story and boy do I regret not holding out for San Antonio. I used to go to Corpus all the time to go to the beach, it was barely over an hour away on a straight highway (it's very easy to speed on that darn thing! LOL)
Phoenix just doesn't have many festivals or activities for families. (And the fair is thugland, unfortunately MUCH of Phoenix is thugland.) I used to LOVE Schleterbaun Waterpark (sp) and New Braunfels for Octoberfest was always fun. Not to mention Busch Gardens is right around the corner too. San Antonio, in my opinion, is the IDEAL place to bring up a family!
San Antonio and its suburbs are alway on the top for list of city for family raising. I agree Phoenix is not horrible just boring for youngsters. And the schools are horrible. When i moved back to Texas(who is not know for there schools) i had to play catch up for my final two years.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 PM

94 posts, read 350,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree that the heat sucks, and I hope you'll be happy to wherever you move next, and I think that there are many legitimate reasons to dislike Phoenix, but but strip malls and chain stores are NOT one of them. Every single metropolitan area in America has that stuff. Some of the older strip malls in the Phoenix area are chock full of unique, indepedent restaurants, stores, and ethnic grocery stores. I could literally name dozens and dozens of interesting strip malls, but you probably aren't interested. The brand new areas on the edge of town are the same pretty much no matter where you go in this country. What is your complaint about Walgreens? That's a little silly-- would you rather have to drive 10 miles to the nearest pharmacy?
It's not so much the strip malls and chain stores that bother me...it is the lack of walkable business districts. I live near downtown and even there you have to drive from one store to the next.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,022,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, look at the HUGE difference in traffic volume, the amount of time theyve been laid down and traveled on, and add in corrosive salt that IDOT loves to lay down when it snows, and VOILA! there you have it. 25 years from now your highways will look like crap too. For the most part, roads around here are rather nice considering the conditions.
I don't think we have to worry about our roads withering away because of snow salt.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,798,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, look at the HUGE difference in traffic volume, the amount of time theyve been laid down and traveled on, and add in corrosive salt that IDOT loves to lay down when it snows, and VOILA! there you have it. 25 years from now your highways will look like crap too. For the most part, roads around here are rather nice considering the conditions.
Whether it's because of salt, poor construction, poor maintenance or a combination of all doesn't matter to me. Like I said, the roads sucked. ADOT repaves our metro freeways before they get anywhere near that bad. I can't believe all those tolls only pay for more salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I lived in Chicago, and potholes never once caused damage to my vehicle. PHX does have nice freeways, but how about all those construction/landscaping trucks throwing rocks at all the vehicles behind them? I've had 2 windshield cracks from these trucks, in 15 months!

When I cam here from Chicago, I knew it would be very hot for months on end. But as a new parent, I admit I didn't realize how infrequently a small kid can get out. In cold climates, it's a pain, but you can bundle and cover as needed. When it's 110, and your vehicle is 130, nothing you can do sometimes but stay in the house.

Besides, when it comes to standard of living, unless you are sensitive to the climate like some elderly, weather, sunsets, mountain views, and road surfaces should be miniscule when compared to crime and safety, education, job prospects, and access to cutural/entertainment venues.
I guess that was an Arizona end dump that was peppering traffic about ten miles north of O'Hare. Small kids, large kids, everything in between can be outside every day of the year. We did growing up. The only thing holding back kids now are video games and paranoid parents. Sunscreen hadn't been invented and we drank out of garden hoses and water fountains. We survived just fine.

So many people from Chicago, NY, Boston, SF keep talking about the lack of culture here in Phoenix. Exactly what "cultural" activities does the average family in one of those cities enlighten themselves with on a regular basis? I bet most families in those places are no different than here: School, work, supper, TV, sleep. School, work, supper, TV, sleep. Maybe occasionally take the kids to a movie, then school, work, supper, TV, sleep.

Just because someone doesn't like or doesn't recognize our culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's southwest culture, not mid-west or east coast culture. How many ancient Indian archaeological digs did you visit while you were in grade school? I went to more plays at ASU's Grady Gammage than I cared to. We were even dragged to an art museum once. I'm sure there are more of what you would consider "cultural pursuits" back east than there are here, but I wouldn't trade growing up here and experiencing Arizona's rich southwestern history for anything.

What's available in those other cities isn't better, it's just different.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM

435 posts, read 1,577,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
You didn't pursue any of these things in Phoenix, you left.
That's true, I left- which doesn't change the fact that I still THINK that pursuing those ideas would be a wise thing for the city to do- which is exactly what I wrote.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,049,538 times
I lived in Phoenix for a year and I decided it wasnt the place I wanted to be,I wanted to live in a smaller city so I moved to Albuquerque and I love it much much more, compared to Albq. I just dont really see too much southwestern culture in Phoenix.For being such a big city It just didnt impress me as much as cities its size or smaller.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 PM

551 posts, read 1,594,653 times
Nicely put and so true. I have seen fine art back east, tromped around all the historic sites, and enjoyed it all. It is different from the western history and culture that's all.

Take pride in Phoenix, and Arizona, because the area has a long and proud history. Where else can you claim history dating back to the Aztecs and probably before that. Few places back East can claim that.

Arizona and the southwest has much to be proud of and I miss it.

Some day I hope to be back in the land of Kachina dolls, copper and cotton, and the famed explorers that helped make Arizona what it is today.

LF

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Whether it's because of salt, poor construction, poor maintenance or a combination of all doesn't matter to me. Like I said, the roads sucked. ADOT repaves our metro freeways before they get anywhere near that bad. I can't believe all those tolls only pay for more salt.

I guess that was an Arizona end dump that was peppering traffic about ten miles north of O'Hare. Small kids, large kids, everything in between can be outside every day of the year. We did growing up. The only thing holding back kids now are video games and paranoid parents. Sunscreen hadn't been invented and we drank out of garden hoses and water fountains. We survived just fine.

So many people from Chicago, NY, Boston, SF keep talking about the lack of culture here in Phoenix. Exactly what "cultural" activities does the average family in one of those cities enlighten themselves with on a regular basis? I bet most families in those places are no different than here: School, work, supper, TV, sleep. School, work, supper, TV, sleep. Maybe occasionally take the kids to a movie, then school, work, supper, TV, sleep.

Just because someone doesn't like or doesn't recognize our culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's southwest culture, not mid-west or east coast culture. How many ancient Indian archaeological digs did you visit while you were in grade school? I went to more plays at ASU's Grady Gammage than I cared to. We were even dragged to an art museum once. I'm sure there are more of what you would consider "cultural pursuits" back east than there are here, but I wouldn't trade growing up here and experiencing Arizona's rich southwestern history for anything.

What's available in those other cities isn't better, it's just different.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:24 AM

94 posts, read 350,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
but strip malls and chain stores are NOT one of them. Every single metropolitan area in America has that stuff.
Alot of suburbs in America have restrictions on chain stores. That doesn't seem to be the case around here except for Paradise Valley proper. I thought Scottsdale would be more picky since they consider themselves as "upscale".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area