Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Problem is, the "no build" option on the previous referendum was illegal, since the plans have been set in stone ever since Proposition 300 was passed by voters many years ago. The GRIC tribal council is basically trying to enforce an option that was never legal to begin with, so thanks to them, the South Mountain Freeway will have to be built through Ahwatukee.
What part of Native American communities are sovereign nations do you not understand? They are not an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
What part of Native American communities are sovereign nations do you not understand? They are not an HOA.
Sure, but that doesn't make the "no build" option legal. The only LEGAL options are either to build it on Pecos Road or build it on tribal land, and THAT'S IT. "No build" is NOT and NEVER WAS a legal option. That is what this initiative would have clarified, since in the first referendum the "no build" option was added ILLEGALLY.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
If this is ever going to get built, it will have to done outside of tribal land. Just the politics of that whole thing makes the Coyotes sale seem downright straightforward.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM

7,231 posts, read 9,316,404 times
I'm sure nobody will like this suggestion. But this is just an idea. Cut off a corner of South Mountain Park. It's not like we can't build freeways in mountains.

Realistically, just make a freeway out of 85. That doesn't solve the valley commuter's problem. But it will allow truck traffic to bypass Phoenix if desired.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Realistically, just make a freeway out of 85. That doesn't solve the valley commuter's problem. But it will allow truck traffic to bypass Phoenix if desired.
That is the right approach. Building the South Mountain Freeway just creates more sprawl.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I'm sure nobody will like this suggestion. But this is just an idea. Cut off a corner of South Mountain Park. It's not like we can't build freeways in mountains.

That is a good suggestion. And it does help solve valley commuter issues because it will reduce rush hour traffic since much of that is trucks commuting to and from California. If the expand it to enough lanes and make a quality freeway out of it, many trucks will elect to take that instead of waiting it out through Phoenix traffic.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That is the right approach. Building the South Mountain Freeway just creates more sprawl.
I don't see anything wrong with sprawl. Sprawl is good for our economy. It creates jobs and more opportunities. I would prefer to create a South Mountain Freeway but I don't see it as a realistic endeavor. The Native Americans won't let us build it on their land. And the homeowners in Ahwatukee will fight any effort to uproot their homes. Arguing what is the moral imperative blah blah is a fruitless and futile exercise. Let's talk reality, that freeway is not getting built because opponents to it can essentially put any effort through a maze of legal challenges that will never be overcome. A more realistic approach is making a multi-lane freeway out of 85 like he/she suggested.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,009,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Sure, but that doesn't make the "no build" option legal. The only LEGAL options are either to build it on Pecos Road or build it on tribal land, and THAT'S IT. "No build" is NOT and NEVER WAS a legal option. That is what this initiative would have clarified, since in the first referendum the "no build" option was added ILLEGALLY.
No build is ALWAYS a legal option, like it or not. It's a planning mechanism that exists SOLELY for a purpose like this. It is legal, regardless of whether or not it has been voted on and approved. It exists as a fail-safe mechanism in case of funding fall-through or lack of community support.

In this case, the 202 was approved to go ahead and enter the planning stages. Funding was approved and set ASIDE, but this does NOT mean that construction was ever set in stone. It merely guaranteed further planning, such as the draft EIS and technical reports we've gotten over the last few years. Nothing is guaranteed until the EIS and preliminary design plans are approved by all government agencies, which hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately, in this case, community opposition is winning the battle. Which is perfectly legal and acceptable - the folks who LIVE there don't want it. If they CAN convince ADOT that no-build is the right option, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

As far as GRIC - Sovereign territory or not, NO laws were broken.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't see anything wrong with sprawl. Sprawl is good for our economy. It creates jobs and more opportunities. I would prefer to create a South Mountain Freeway but I don't see it as a realistic endeavor. The Native Americans won't let us build it on their land. And the homeowners in Ahwatukee will fight any effort to uproot their homes. Arguing what is the moral imperative blah blah is a fruitless and futile exercise. Let's talk reality, that freeway is not getting built because opponents to it can essentially put any effort through a maze of legal challenges that will never be overcome. A more realistic approach is making a multi-lane freeway out of 85 like he/she suggested.
Sprawl is OK to a point, but not when businesses constantly move to the suburbs & leave the downtown or Central Corridor areas practically dead. Actually, a decent mix of sprawl and infill projects are the best for any economy. The bad thing about our type of sprawl is it's largely hit & miss, which tends to promote more exurban growth, but leave large areas in between with undeveloped land. This just makes things even more far reaching for many people. Me personally, I'd rather see every single vacant lot developed in the established areas before any further annexation or exurban sprawl takes place.

But since sprawl is going to happen regardless, that's when more freeways need to be built. As for the South Mountain extension of the Loop 202, I say ENOUGH STALLING! This thing has been on the books for nearly 30 years, voted on & approved by the public twice, so it needs to go through. All the NIMBYs, preservationists, and eco freaks should just back off and let it be built (even if it ends up cutting through part of South Mountain).

As for highway 85, ADOT is already making that into a divided highway and a partial freeway at some points between I10 & I8. Let that become a fully divided highway, and still build the South Mountain Freeway. In fact, I wouldn't even have a problem with that part of the 202 becoming a toll road. It would still serve as a Phoenix bypass route, except people would pay the extra fee to drive on it. Why not? Toll roads tend to be built at a faster rate than state or federally funded highways, so that alone would speed up the construction & reduce the costs to taxpayers.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 PM

975 posts, read 1,410,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As for highway 85, ADOT is already making that into a divided highway and a partial freeway at some points between I10 & I8. Let that become a fully divided highway, and still build the South Mountain Freeway. In fact, I wouldn't even have a problem with that part of the 202 becoming a toll road. It would still serve as a Phoenix bypass route, except people would pay the extra fee to drive on it. Why not? Toll roads tend to be built at a faster rate than state or federally funded highways, so that alone would speed up the construction & reduce the costs to taxpayers.
I agree. The South Mountain Freeway toll road is an excellent idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: