Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 18,741 times

Advertisements

Me, my husband and two kids thinking of moving to Goodyear, and starting an affiliate office for our publishing company there. We would not need to commute to Phoenix so that's not an issue.

So what's Goodyear really like? Are the two large mobile home parks in the town a problem there.....and if so what else (apart from road network) lets the town down? Are there plans for more of these trailor parks developments as there seems loads of these places around this part of the valley - why? (We do not know this area, so please an idiot's guide even if it is like stating the obvious)

I note that whereas murder and rape are lower than the national average the burglary and car crime is sky high in Goodyear...any view/opinions on this? How likely are we to have our home broken into if we buy a US500,000 home?
Like the statistics for burglary could all be swayed from the trailor park and we'd be ok for all we know....and what about schools for my kids?

Is this a boom town or a town that is going downhill??

Where are the bad parts. Estrella looks really nice but it may be a little isolated....so what about other parts of Goodyear...etc etc...any and all info appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 06:08 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I hear Goodyear is really nice. I think i drove near it once. A realtor once told me that Goodyear had a higher income average than Scottsdale, I don't know if that's true though.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I hear Goodyear is really nice. I think i drove near it once. A realtor once told me that Goodyear had a higher income average than Scottsdale, I don't know if that's true though.

It's true and it's false, Scottsdale has many zipcodes where the income ranges from 45,000 up to zipcode 85253 where the income is 128,000+.

Goodyear has 2 zipcodes one more closer to Avondale and that is in the 55,000 range and the other zip is in the 66,000.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggory View Post
Me, my husband and two kids thinking of moving to Goodyear, and starting an affiliate office for our publishing company there. We would not need to commute to Phoenix so that's not an issue.

So what's Goodyear really like? Are the two large mobile home parks in the town a problem there.....and if so what else (apart from road network) lets the town down? Are there plans for more of these trailor parks developments as there seems loads of these places around this part of the valley - why? (We do not know this area, so please an idiot's guide even if it is like stating the obvious)

I note that whereas murder and rape are lower than the national average the burglary and car crime is sky high in Goodyear...any view/opinions on this? How likely are we to have our home broken into if we buy a US500,000 home?
Like the statistics for burglary could all be swayed from the trailor park and we'd be ok for all we know....and what about schools for my kids?

Is this a boom town or a town that is going downhill??

Where are the bad parts. Estrella looks really nice but it may be a little isolated....so what about other parts of Goodyear...etc etc...any and all info appreciated.

Thanks

Stick with Estrella Mountain Ranch if you want to live out there. I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 PM

78 posts, read 421,206 times
Don't know about the avg income higher than Scottsdale, but there are some high tech jobs there. The town started out as a farming village way back when, so there are areas that are old and poor, but like almost everywhere else in the valley, there are numerous new subdivisions popping up everywhere, and many nice areas.

As far as the crime rate, property crime has always been high here. Lots of theft, vandalism, and more theft. Not near as bad as El Paso, but Phx's proximity to the border has a lot to do with the amount of stolen cars.

Last edited by monsoon74; 10-13-2006 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I live in Goodyear and have for about 9 years. I have not seen any trailer parks here, but maybe I am missing something. There are two RV parks along the freeway that attract the snowbirds in the winter.

Anyhow, here's the 411. Goodyear is THE happening city in the Phoenix metro area right now. The old standards in the east valley are almost built out and Goodyear is making no secret that it intends to be the upscale choice of the west valley. There are two high end developments, Pebble Creek and Estrella Mountain Ranch. I live in EMR. It is a mix of custom homes and higher end tract houses. EMR has acres upon acres of private, parks and green grass, two large (for PHX) lakes that are brimming with fish to catch, and multi-million dollar residents center complete with a big pool, water park, lap pools, library, cafe, a large exercise facility, and a separate youth center for the teens. There are many community activities. Last weekend we camped along the shore of one of the lakes with a hundred other tenters on "Family CampOut Night". We had Indian dances, smores, catered meals, and fishing. The week before was a free Ballet in the Park presentation by the West Valley Arts Council. There is a Symphony in the Park in the fall each year, a Jazz night in the spring, and a calendar full of exercise classes, dance classes, mens basketball teams, etc. It is all included in the HOA fee. EMR is located about 6 miles S of "Goodyear" in the foothills of the Estrella Mtns. There are mountains everywhere - you are right among them with hiking and biking trails and views everywhere. There is nothing quite like this place anywhere in Phoenix. Downside is no shopping, no groceries, no commercial except for a convenience store. And the residents want it that way. Shopping is 6 miles away. There are 3 elementary schools - all new and a brand new high school. There is one community church. Prices for homes run from 300K to 700K for the tract houses to a couple million or more for the customs. Custom lots are about $250K for a 1/2 acre. There is a Nicklaus golf course and country club in the development and a public golf course (nice) and a huge public park at its eastern border.

The other up-scale developement is Pebble Creek. They cater to the aging crowd with age restrictions, but it too is very nice with lakes (there's are reclaimed water while EMR is pumped water).

In addition there are dozens of new subdivisions going up. These developments are lower priced - probably topping out around $350K. Everything is new, safe, clean and a little too homogenous. Next year construction starts on a regional mall (a big one - not a strip mall) on the corner of Estrella Prkway and I-10. In the meantime, there is some chain restaurant, or Target, or whatever going up on every corner.

Goodyear is also going to build a baseball training/stadium center at Buckeye and Estrella. They have lined up the Cleveland Indians and expect to find another team too. Goodyear is also moving its downtown to along Estrella Prkyway and will be building a new city complex there.

Traffic is a pain because of a freeway lane reduction at Dysart Rd. Construction on widening that will be in 2008, I think.

In short, Goodyear is, for good or bad, the latest the Phoenix area has to offer. It's the place to be this decade. Next decade "they" will move on.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM

On crime, I never heard of anyone getting burglarized out here (Estrella Mountain Ranch). If it happens, it'd be pretty rare. We have a community patrol that goes around, too. The newsletters keep warning people to keep their garage doors closed ,though, as bikes and tools get stolen. EMR is an enclave place. The lowlife's have to drive out here. Also, at least in the part I live in, people know each other and socialize, pick up the newspapers when people are away. The only other problem is off and on vandalism of the community facilities by the pampered teens in the area. $500K will buy you a very nice home here.

If you have that kind of money to spend on a home, I wouldn't even consider anywhere else in Goodyear. EMR is just so unique and special for Phoenix. And it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the commercial areas of the city.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-13-2006 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Thanks very much for the info....you have kinda sold me, although again any extra info you guys have is appreciated. We are in the UK at the moment so it could be said we are very 'ignorant' for the most part re this area....and it may be too that there may be a little bit of misunderstanding on our part because of the common language divide across the pond!

I have not seen any trailer parks here

It just shows them prominently on the Goodyear map on google - so are you saying that rednecks/'trailer trash' don't live in these parks? Sorry to use these terms as I know it is not a crime to be poor, but my husband says there is no way we should live near these areas ...or am I misunderstanding what these areas are and please, what are snowbirds???

In terms of running an office, could we lease one in EMR do you think or is it too residential for that as I do not want to travel far from home?

Also re schools, it seems that the spending on pupils is a lot lower in Goodyear than average and the pupil/teacher ratio is higher which I am a bit concerned about for my boys .......

I know I have loads of questions, but for us this is a huge move, emigrating for good (or planning to), and it is potentially a far more costly mistake for us than if were living in the states already.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 AM

I looked at the map of Goodyear on Google. Are you talking about the area east of the airport? Byrds Mobile Park... and others. That's the original Avondale - not Goodyear and is an old primarily Hispanic area. They are not rednecks, just poor, most of the families have been there for generations. I don't think it is a particulary high crime area because of the long history and the family roots You would not want to live there. Avondale too is booming but their growth is N of Interstate 10. Goodyear is booming West of Litchfield, actually west of Bullard and especially West of Estrella Parkway. The area west of Estrella along Yuma Rd/Van Buren/LowerBuckeye is all new homes and shops. It goes on that way to west of Cotton Lane.

EMR is separated from all that by a river - which actually has water much of the year! - a 4000' mountain range and huge county park. EMR is not physically part of Goodyear. You take a winding divided road around and through the foothills of the mountain to get to EMR. It's another world on the other side. The trailer parks you talk about are on the opposite side of the mountain. They are a long ways away and that is why I said I don't recognize them. EMR has a website at estrellamountainranch.com.

Schools: Goodyear and EMR have different school districts. EMR is in the Liberty District. Until a couple years ago, Liberty District consisted of a one room school house on Buckeye Rd. One new school was built in the early 90's (my daughter attends that) by the developer of EMR. Last year or so, two more were built to accomodate the growth. A couple more are on the drawing boards. The elementary schools have students from EMR. As such, the kids are mostly from affluent families. The schools all enjoy a lot of parent participation and we are always approve the bond issues for new this and that. I hate to say this, but in PHX the quality of the schools is directly related to the income level of the parents of the students - it is not equal education by any stretch. There is also a new high school in EMR. It opened a couple years ago. It is state of the art with all the amenities - again bond issues passed for sports facilities, music rooms, etc, etc, etc. I don't know as much about the "Goodyear" schools, but the new subdivisions all have new elementary schools and they have a new high school there too, right off of Estrella Parkway on Van Buren I think. Same rule applies, good neighborhood = good schools.

Business location: Your business won't be in EMR. As you have noted, it is strictly residential. The have master planned for commericial in some areas, but so far, nothing has been built. The commercial heart of Goodyear looks like it is going to be along Estrella Parkway from Buckeye Rd to the freeway. Like I said before, there is construction on virtually every piece of vacant land. Goodyear council just approved a big light industrial/commericial/small business development S of Buckeye Rd on Estrella. It may be a while before it is built out. There are many commercial/light industrial properties going in just about everywhere in the vicinity of Estrella Parkway and you will find ample properties to lease. Most of the cities around here have development staff that try to encourage and assist potential businesses in relocating. Check out Goodyear's website and/or chamber of commerce. You would have to drive 5-15 minutes depending on where you moved to. That is VERY reasonable for this area. Most people would kill for a commute that short. If you really want to be closer to your office, though, there are new home developments within 5 minutes of the commercial areas.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Last question for now - is there a preschool in EMR? My children are aged one and a half and three.

Thanks so much for your very informative responses so far, they have really helped us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area