Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM

202 posts, read 408,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in PA. I plan on moving with my fiance to the west valley (Goodyear/Avon Dale area most likely) in the next few months. My fiance is set, employment-wise. I'm concerned though. I have my Bachelor's in Psychology and a Master's in Counselor Education. I have just under 20 years experience in mental health. Over the last 3.5 years I've been a Clinical Supervisor. I've taught counseling courses at a local university. I'm a Nationally Certified Counselor, and I'm a PA certified high school guidance counselor. I have no high school experience, however. Also I am NOT a Licensed Counselor at this point. That will def. make my hunt more difficult, as AZ clearly requires licensure for most clinical positions. It's frustrating that a 20-something licensed person with such limited clinical experience gets preference over a 40-year-old with 20 years of experience, including almost 4 years of clinical supervisory experience!

I'd love to find a mental health clinical position, a high school counseling position, or a college teaching/counseling position.

What advice can any of you offer? Any input you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Start working on getting the license right away. As you said, AZ puts mucho reliance on this piece of paper, which, when I moved here, vowed I would not get although I was qualified. It seems like its a way for the state to make $ at professional's expense. There are many private behavioral health agencies here, as well as the biggy, magellan. Best bet is to get here, start sending out resumes and answering ads. Not likely to hire you til you have an AZ address. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks so much, Barb! All I need is an additional 12 grad credits (my Master's was a 48-credit program). I've got everything else I need. I'm reluctant to start classes in the middle of a move, however.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM

No other input?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,978 times
My input would simply be to do whatever you have to do to get a license. Don't even waste your time worrying about the hassle or fairness of it, because the bottom line is that a license is the baseline requirement for a lot of (quality) jobs. If you want your extensive experience to give you a leg up, you have to first at least meet the basic criteria.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Eric: Why do you need an additional 12 credit hours if you already have the Masters? Wasn't the school accredited? Why not just start applying for the license and see what happens. Also, another job site which might yield some jobs is Azstatejobs.gov if you have any thoughts of working for the state (temporarily). Pay isn't good but its a foot in the door.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Eric: Why do you need an additional 12 credit hours if you already have the Masters? Wasn't the school accredited? Why not just start applying for the license and see what happens. Also, another job site which might yield some jobs is Azstatejobs.gov if you have any thoughts of working for the state (temporarily). Pay isn't good but its a foot in the door.
Thanks, Barb. My school was fully CACREP accredited. To my knowledge Arizona (and most other states) require 60 graduate credits for licensure. If I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me. That would taken such a massive burden off. And thanks for the Azstatejobs suggestion. I've browsed there. At this point. I'd take *almost* anything.

Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area