Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times

Advertisements

Uh, when we are talking about inexpensive, similar-appearing houses built on subdivided plots in Laveen or elsewhere, the term is "tract" not "track" homes. It derives from "housing tract". Sorry, calling them track homes bugs me for some reason. The vast majority of us in Phoenix live in tract housing. I think the more recent incarnations are much more aesthetically pleasing than those of 40 years ago although the lot sizes are definitely too small.

Tract housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM

31 posts, read 71,421 times
Haha my income was previously $160k got laid off, I put $15k down on the range so I can afford it and yes virtually all of us in the valley live in tract housing

Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM

I still find Laveen to be a nice area, a previous city of mine Ladera Heights, luxury upscale community, most people were lawyers, doctors, etc. Had a horrid crime rate a kid 17 got shot in the street in a drive by in front of my home this was no abnormality in Ladera, yet my neighbors lived in a 5,700 sq ft home and bragged the hell out of it. Nevertheless I do realize with some of your opinions yes it is not great, the whole reason for this post was to help people see its an okay place to move, but all of you have probably turned away buyers, so I think I'm done, thanks for the help...

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 PM

582 posts, read 1,483,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV423 View Post
I still find Laveen to be a nice area, a previous city of mine Ladera Heights, luxury upscale community, most people were lawyers, doctors, etc. Had a horrid crime rate a kid 17 got shot in the street in a drive by in front of my home this was no abnormality in Ladera, yet my neighbors lived in a 5,700 sq ft home and bragged the hell out of it. Nevertheless I do realize with some of your opinions yes it is not great, the whole reason for this post was to help people see its an okay place to move, but all of you have probably turned away buyers, so I think I'm done, thanks for the help...
This is a big problem we face in this country. Trying to get middle and upper middle class white people to consider living in a racially diverse suburb. Whether there are quite a few investor owned properties in Laveen or not, many white people are renters all over the valley too. They just choose to live in heavily white areas. This just goes to show the importance of the March on Washington yesterday.

As people of color, we are trying to push for integration of white people into areas of large ethnic populations. And are pushing for mass funding to help people of color who have been held back by years of discrimination to be brought up to the level of white people.

All while we are doing that, the conservative party seeks to heavily provoke fear of non white people to whites in order to get votes.

This topic really isn't about Laveen. It is about white fear and discomfort of living in areas that exceed a certain level of brown people. Many whites don't long for the totally integrated society us people of color are seeking. I'm not saying all white people are like this, but many, even those who have an above average amount of non white friends, still have a larger sense of nervousness about being in areas that have larger amounts of non white people.

Go to the LA forum and read the thread about where are all the white kids in LA. The thread starter said he is for diversity, but being in a job where 75 out of 80 employees are non white, and only 5 are white, including himself, is "weird".

This is the problem ARV423. White people have been the dominant race for so long that being in an environment that is less dominated by whites is "uncomfortable" to them. Look at how our president is treated. Conservatives are afraid that if he is successful in making government work, that the "white" party will be out of business.

I understand where you are coming from ARV423. But I am not white. I see things getting worse in this country before getting better. Anyhow, I am glad you enjoy your new home and neighborhood.

Last edited by Goober13; 08-25-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,529 times
Quote:
...the whole reason for this post was to help people see its an okay place to move, but all of you have probably turned away buyers, so I think I'm done, thanks for the help...
I agree with Goober's post (^^Above).

All said and done, it's the same ol' thing: "Haters gonna hate"; the rest of us are going to snatch up nice real estate at cheap prices and live comfortably at a fraction of the price. So don't worry too much, your happy in your house and ultimately that's what really matters.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,928 times
Goober, you have brought color into this thread every time you posted. My experience with Laveen over the last two or three years was valuing property. I probably valued 150 properties, a large number occupied by white people, I would say t least half. I do not agree with your message about white vs brown, etc. i would understand it in other markets, but not in Laveen. Color seems to be the driving point in your messages, but I see lots of white people in Laveen. As a matter of fact, I know many that think it is a bit redneck. Personally, I find pretty diverse with many tenants getting a good bargain. Not so certain it is a race thing.

Last edited by SMG; 08-26-2013 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 AM

Yeah live here and call it redneck, I see virtually no whites here, (my brother whom lives with me) is 15 and dropping him off at school I see maybe 10% white kids..
Not arguing just adding to goobers point
And not to go against you goober but I am a republican/conservative, I dislike that the party is known that way and wish it would become more diverse, I would like to see more people of color (nothing towards you) would consider policies and not race.

Ladera if you unfamiliar with the city is 90% give or take a few percent black

Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM

11 posts, read 12,249 times
This thread is ridiculous, to the OP, Laveen isn't really high-end, I live in Trailside Point, it's probably comparable to Surprise or Maricopa. In my opininion it's a nice place to live, not the best, nor worst, just typical slightly above average middle class suburbs. The median per capita, and household income is $73,000 not $93,000, (Guessing most homes have a single earner) most people seem to drive new Armadas not Range Rovers xD
I do see plenty of nicer new cars, quite a few BMW's and such, but stop making it more than what it is lol.
We have a slightly above average crime rate which is decreasing. With the new communities being built by (Richmond-American, Pulte, Beazer, Elliot, Meritage, Wilson Parker, etc.) Laveen should be getting better, housing values are on the rise here as well. Don't push your opinion on others OP, although I will admit people need to open up their minds, and realize it's not such a bad place.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM

557 posts, read 738,297 times
I will chime in here and say it, Laveen is ghetto. Just look at all the gang colors of kids walking home from Ceasar Chavez high and Skyline all wearing gang colors. Crime is still bad and bordering the reservation doesn't help either. It's not a minority thing, but a gang thing.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM

269 posts, read 536,091 times
Quote:
Haha my income was previously $160k got laid off, I put $15k down on the range so I can afford it and yes virtually all of us in the valley live in tract housing
Just need to find the right place. We have 0.5+ acre lots and no 2 houses the same. The Retreat in Estrella Mountain Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area