Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,678 times

Advertisements

I've been here for two years now and I've had a pest control service since day one but I'm thinking of just doing it myself so I have a few questions.
What's the best stuff for keeping roaches, crickets, scorpions and other creepy crawlers at bay? And what about spiders?
I've heard that CY-KICK is what the pro's use and also I've read that Diatomacias Earth will kill the little buggers. Do I mix it with water and use a sprayer or just put the powder around the perimeter? I have no animals so is pool grade DE OK to use or should I use food grade?
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
I found diatomaceous earth to be too messy. Cy-Kick CS is awesome stuff. When we first moved in we'd see scorpions on the patio most nights. It was also very loud with crickets. One application of Cy-Kick CS 4' up the wall and 4' into the yard and likewise on the side of the house and patio and I've yet to see a scorpion nor hear a cricket in the yard. I would bet that it's the same stuff the pros use. I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Get this:

Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin 16oz Insecticide: Amazon.com: Patio, Lawn & Garden

and this:

Amazon.com: Smith 190285 1-Gallon Bleach & Chemical Sprayer With Non-Corrosive 14-Inch Wand and Single Nozzle System: Patio, Lawn & Garden

and you'll be set.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 PM

61 posts, read 190,345 times
Sure you will get many more qualified experts chiming in. But here is what I know...

Demand CS or Cykick will work well. You will need a sprayer (1 or 2 gallon from HomeDepot etc). Demand CS is a liquid that you measure out and dilute with water. The dilution depends on what you are trying to kill. Stronger for scorpions. Its all listed on the label. You have to spray 5ft from the foundation of your house and 3 ft up the wall for scorpions. Less for other critters...

The DE earth is a powder that should be used as such. Food grade is better than pool grade and I think about the same price. I got mine from HomeDepot... it has to be lightly dusted. I have a two litre coke bottle with small holes drilled in the cap. Fill it half-full and (put on a mask) and squeeze away. I found it most effective.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Diatomacias Earth is most effective as a dry application.

If you're interested here is some good information about DE.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,073 times
I agree with the folks above, I do my own. I have a place I went, bought the Cykick and some granules. All this place does is bug and weed stuff. I do a more effective job and it cost about $100/month. Do it yourself, call the Bug and Weed Mart.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Does anybody know how long CY-Kick lasts? Does it work on termites (I don't have any but I don't want any either).

Finally, does anybody spray inside? A guy who I hired for pigeon control spraying along the exterior wall inside the house 4" wide. That seemed unnecessary (and undesirable health wise).

Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I agree with the folks above, I do my own. I have a place I went, bought the Cykick and some granules. All this place does is bug and weed stuff. I do a more effective job and it cost about $100/month. Do it yourself, call the Bug and Weed Mart.
$100/month??? I pay a pest control company and my place is bug free and has been for five years and I pay $68 every two months. Why in the heck would you go through the trouble and pay more to do it yourself?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Does anybody know how long CY-Kick lasts? Does it work on termites (I don't have any but I don't want any either).

Finally, does anybody spray inside? A guy who I hired for pigeon control spraying along the exterior wall inside the house 4" wide. That seemed unnecessary (and undesirable health wise).
You're spraying inside your house for pigeon control? I don't think there are sprays for pigeon control and if there were they would certainly be more effective on the outside of the house. Something had to be a typo there.

No, CY-Kick isn't used to treat termites as they come up from the ground. They are treated completely differently and it is not a surface treatment.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You're spraying inside your house for pigeon control? I don't think there are sprays for pigeon control and if there were they would certainly be more effective on the outside of the house. Something had to be a typo there.

No, CY-Kick isn't used to treat termites as they come up from the ground. They are treated completely differently and it is not a surface treatment.
I left out a detail. The pigeon control company gave me a "free" bug spraying (while he was out). He sprayed inside and out. I was wondering if if spraying inside was necessary.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I left out a detail. The pigeon control company gave me a "free" bug spraying (while he was out). He sprayed inside and out. I was wondering if if spraying inside was necessary.
Yeah, we've had a pest control company for five years and when we moved in back in 2008 there were a lot of bugs in the house (new construction). He sprayed the inside the first treatment but never again and we've had no bugs in the house since. A good job outside and you won't need treatment indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area