Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 11,187,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
$100/month??? I pay a pest control company and my place is bug free and has been for five years and I pay $68 every two months. Why in the heck would you go through the trouble and pay more to do it yourself?
Per the above link, the bottle is $38. I've used that product in MN. It suspect it could do my home 3 times per bottle or $12.50 an application. So you are paying $68 every two months. If you DIY you will save.

The chemical concept is little bubbles of chemicals burst randomly overtime. So it is a random time release. In MN, one application easily lasts for about 4 months. I spray in the spring and one around August. But we get rain twice a week.

I was wondering how long it lasts in the desert. In Arizona, it is HOT in the summer (even hotter with the sun). So I was wondering how long it lasts. I would not be surprised it it lasts 5 months or longer during the cooler seasons. But during the summer it might be a different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Per the above link, the bottle is $38. I've used that product in MN. It suspect it could do my home 3 times per bottle or $12.50 an application. So you are paying $68 every two months. If you DIY you will save.

The chemical concept is little bubbles of chemicals burst randomly overtime. So it is a random time release. In MN, one application easily lasts for about 4 months. I spray in the spring and one around August. But we get rain twice a week.

I was wondering how long it lasts in the desert. In Arizona, it is HOT in the summer (even hotter with the sun). So I was wondering how long it lasts. I would not be surprised it it lasts 5 months or longer during the cooler seasons. But during the summer it might be a different situation.
Yeah, I may be able to do it cheaper than the $68 every two months I'm paying now but question why the guy I quoted is advocating paying $100/month to do it yourself. That is outrageous.

I do see the chemical wearing off shortly before they show up two months later as I'll see a couple crickets moving about that are not dead which I don't see right after the application. I would say two months is a realistic time in the desert.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 AM

87 posts, read 190,807 times
Quote:
Does anybody know how long CY-Kick lasts? Does it work on termites (I don't have any but I don't want any either).

Finally, does anybody spray inside? A guy who I hired for pigeon control spraying along the exterior wall inside the house 4" wide. That seemed unnecessary (and undesirable health wise).
I would say Cykick-CS is really dependent on the weather. The more rain obviously the more you will have to spray. In the summer/monsoon months I spray roughly every other month. In the winter I don't spray the exterior at all. I will pick up a bottle of an Ortho product (because those products are really diluted) from the big box store and spray windows and baseboards if I see bugs. Usually not the case.

Quote:
$100/month??? I pay a pest control company and my place is bug free and has been for five years and I pay $68 every two months. Why in the heck would you go through the trouble and pay more to do it yourself?
I think you're jumping the gun here because you don't know his dilution rates. Using the same products (except for the granules but then again I spray inside occasionally) I spend 200$ a year. Any good business is out to make a profit. Pest control companies are no exception, they are going to use the most diluted solution unless there is a problem.

That being said, 100$ a month does seem excessive and I personally would question if it's being oversprayed. At the same time 68$ a month also seems excessive to me as well considering you can probably get away from NOT spraying 3/4 of the year.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

I could care less what his dilution rate is, if he is paying $100/month to do it himself he's paying WAY TOO MUCH for pest control here in the valley. As you say, my $408/year may be excessive so I have no idea how you can say I'm "jumping the gun" by saying he is paying too much at $1200 per year?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM

8,275 posts, read 8,673,865 times
If what you are doing is working why would you want to start doing it yourself?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
Quote:

If you're spraying every two months you're over spraying!!!

I spray using Cy-Kick and I get at least 4 months out of it (suggested every 90 days). Heat and such hasn't bothered it at all. The upside with micro encapsulated products is they're designed to regenerate if disturbed by some of the capsules opening, that's how it lasts so long.

I believe the dilution rate is about 1.5 oz per gallon (full strength) and I use 1 gallon to spray the outside of a 2400 sqft house perimeter as well as some parts of the block wall around the yard.

Advertised as pet/child safe when dry and safe to use inside as well as outdoors. I've sprayed the inside around the perimeter baseboards one time and it's been ok so far but don't see the need to spray indoors if I'm spraying the outside perimeter, kind of overkill if you ask me.

My neighbor owns a pest company and he's the one who suggested what to use and how.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Most (probably 95%, and I know Cy-kick does) professional insecticides comes concentrated and it is up to the professional or amateur, to determine what is needed to for the situation. As MN-Born-n-raised pointed out already, one bottle can last three applications at 38$. My point was that even though he is paying more, he is using more product or spraying a larger area than your pest control company. By his math and the price of Cy-kick I would wager he is using an entire bottle per application. Which means he is either spraying 3x as stronger insecticide or 3x the area that your pest control company is doing.

Both of which I think is excessive. At the same time I have no idea if either of you are located near orchards, mountains, or spray your entire yard (I don't). I guess what I'm getting at it is the comparison is apples to oranges.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you're spraying every two months you're over spraying!!!

I spray using Cy-Kick and I get at least 4 months out of it (suggested every 90 days). Heat and such hasn't bothered it at all. The upside with micro encapsulated products is they're designed to regenerate if disturbed by some of the capsules opening, that's how it lasts so long.

I believe the dilution rate is about 1.5 oz per gallon (full strength) and I use 1 gallon to spray the outside of a 2400 sqft house perimeter as well as some parts of the block wall around the yard.

Advertised as pet/child safe when dry and safe to use inside as well as outdoors. I've sprayed the inside around the perimeter baseboards one time and it's been ok so far but don't see the need to spray indoors if I'm spraying the outside perimeter, kind of overkill if you ask me.

My neighbor owns a pest company and he's the one who suggested what to use and how.

This guy gets it and he has talked to an owner of a pest control company!!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
Most (probably 95%, and I know Cy-kick does) professional insecticides comes concentrated and it is up to the professional or amateur, to determine what is needed to for the situation. As MN-Born-n-raised pointed out already, one bottle can last three applications at 38$. My point was that even though he is paying more, he is using more product or spraying a larger area than your pest control company. By his math and the price of Cy-kick I would wager he is using an entire bottle per application. Which means he is either spraying 3x as stronger insecticide or 3x the area that your pest control company is doing.

Both of which I think is excessive. At the same time I have no idea if either of you are located near orchards, mountains, or spray your entire yard (I don't). I guess what I'm getting at it is the comparison is apples to oranges.
The comparison of him applying Cy-Kick himself for $100/month and me hiring a company to apply Cy-Kick every two months for $68 is apples to oranges how? You say you "have no idea if either of you are located near orchards, mountains or spray your entire yard" and you have no idea what ratio Cy-Kick he is using or what ration of Cy-Kick my pest control company is using yet you know the caparison is apples to oranges?

Your two posts make absolutely zero sense and just confuse the issue.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,381 times
Quote:
It was a typo, I meant $10/mth. I bought enough stuff to last a year, sorry about that. I did not mean to generate that much conversation. I use 2 oz/gallon outside. I also use the granules. I did buy some for the interior and have not used it yet, probably did not need to buy it but I had seen scorpions in the house.
I think I will do a better job than a pest control company.....have more at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area