Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 100,249 times

Advertisements

Ok so for the locals, this may seem like a dumb question. BUT ...

What's the real difference between living in Tempe and living in Mesa?

Is one safer than the other?
Is one more family friendly?
Is one more racially diverse?
Does one have better schools?

Some background:

I am moving to the area from PA and will be commuting to Scottsdale for work (101 & Northsight Blvd). I think Tempe is an easier commute, I can hop right on the 101, but some parts of Mesa are pretty close also. I have 2 young children so schools are important, and I am single so safety is also important. As far as I can tell, Tempe and Mesa seem to be pretty similar, but am I missing something? Locals help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkarma209 View Post

Some background:

I am moving to the area from PA and will be commuting to Scottsdale for work (101 & Northsight Blvd). I think Tempe is an easier commute, I can hop right on the 101, but some parts of Mesa are pretty close also. I have 2 young children so schools are important, and I am single so safety is also important. As far as I can tell, Tempe and Mesa seem to be pretty similar, but am I missing something? Locals help please!
Really, the most family-friendly areas are Gilbert and Chandler. As for a comparison between Tempe and Mesa, the safer areas within the two are East Mesa and South Tempe. As for schools, the Kyrene Elementary School District in South Tempe/West Chandler is a very good district. Also, parts of East Mesa are in the Gilbert and Queen Creek districts, which are also very good.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
What's your budget? The 101 near Northsight is a great area. There's no need to work there and drive to Mesa everyday if you can afford a decent place near your job.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkarma209 View Post

Safety is a non issue. Neither has any hard core hoods. Even though we are a metro of 4.5 million people, we don't have the hard core areas like Philly has. As one poster so eloquently stated yesterday on a thread, "don't be afraid, be aware."

Tempe is a college town with about 180,000 people, is more politically liberal and many of it's residents are more intellectual, health conscious, and progressive. It's more diverse, and once you get out of the university area is suburban.

Mesa has about 465,000 people, is quite spread out, is the home of the Mormon Temple, and it has MANY retirees, particularly on the east side. Between Mid-October and Mid April, they can be very overwhelming, and Mesa is quite conservative politically. It has a growing Latino population in some of the older areas, and there are some blacks. Not a particularly intellectual city. You may encounter some Tea Party types there. None of the areas are threatening. Not much if any night life. Not as intellectual a city as Tempe. Tempe housing stock is a little older (mostly meaning 60's to 80's) but most of it's neighborhoods are amazingly clean.

Once you go east of Tempe and West Chandler, you will find it very conservative, full of white parents trying to juggle raising kids and making the mortgage payment, along with the huge retirement population, with some downscale areas which are a little older, in the mix.

Schools require some inspection as to what you are looking for. Personally I would say the learning experience would be better in Tempe due to it's demographics.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Tempe schools get teachers and student teachers straight out of the university. More cutting edge attitudes and educators who are up on the latest research.
Tempe is more diverse. Has more to offer culturally. It's closer to Snotsdale. The beer is better. The women are much more fun to look at.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Really, the most family-friendly areas are Gilbert and Chandler. As for a comparison between Tempe and Mesa, the safer areas within the two are East Mesa and South Tempe. As for schools, the Kyrene Elementary School District in South Tempe/West Chandler is a very good district. Also, parts of East Mesa are in the Gilbert and Queen Creek districts, which are also very good.

Thanks for your reply! I also looked in Gilbert and Chandler, but from there my commute is at least 35 minutes. As a single mom, to have my kids in school near home and then have to hightail it down the 101 after work just to pick them up on time from the after school program is a worry of mine. It's actually what I'm experiencing right now in PA, so I want to make certain my commute is 30 minutes MAX. I have found that some of the neighborhoods in North Chandler are about 25 minutes, but isn't that basically Tempe anyway? And with East Mesa, the same applies. Just a little too far out. Maybe I will look more around that Chandler/Tempe border to get more of the family friendly vibe. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What's your budget? The 101 near Northsight is a great area. There's no need to work there and drive to Mesa everyday if you can afford a decent place near your job.
If I could afford a decent 3 bedroom home in the area, I certainly would! Unfortunately I'm working with one income, and I'm only looking to spend between 1200-1300 on rent for a 3 bedroom home. Do you think I could find anything in South Scottsdale in that range? Is it worth looking there versus Tempe/Mesa/Chandler?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Safety is a non issue. Neither has any hard core hoods. Even though we are a metro of 4.5 million people, we don't have the hard core areas like Philly has. As one poster so eloquently stated yesterday on a thread, "don't be afraid, be aware."

Tempe is a college town with about 180,000 people, is more politically liberal and many of it's residents are more intellectual, health conscious, and progressive. It's more diverse, and once you get out of the university area is suburban.

Mesa has about 465,000 people, is quite spread out, is the home of the Mormon Temple, and it has MANY retirees, particularly on the east side. Between Mid-October and Mid April, they can be very overwhelming, and Mesa is quite conservative politically. It has a growing Latino population in some of the older areas, and there are some blacks. Not a particularly intellectual city. You may encounter some Tea Party types there. None of the areas are threatening. Not much if any night life. Not as intellectual a city as Tempe. Tempe housing stock is a little older (mostly meaning 60's to 80's) but most of it's neighborhoods are amazingly clean.

Once you go east of Tempe and West Chandler, you will find it very conservative, full of white parents trying to juggle raising kids and making the mortgage payment, along with the huge retirement population, with some downscale areas which are a little older, in the mix.

Schools require some inspection as to what you are looking for. Personally I would say the learning experience would be better in Tempe due to it's demographics.
Thanks so much for your reply! This was very informative. It sounds like Tempe is a little more upbeat & hip than Mesa. Right now I live in the Philly suburbs, which are still quite liberal and diverse (and unsafe!) even though we're not in the city. It seems like Tempe may be a little more my speed. I'm glad that I will be renting at first, so I can have some time to feel out the area for myself. Thanks a lot for your input!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Tempe schools get teachers and student teachers straight out of the university. More cutting edge attitudes and educators who are up on the latest research.
Tempe is more diverse. Has more to offer culturally. It's closer to Snotsdale. The beer is better. The women are much more fun to look at.
It seems to be the overall theme that Tempe feels more diverse, even if the numbers don't suggest too much of a difference at all between the two. & hotter women and better beer are both pluses in my book
Thanks!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times
All the previous posters summed everything up pretty nicely. The only thing I would add is that you should note that:

Tempe is much geographically much smaller and fairly "Centrally Located".

Where as Mesa is a huge city (geographically speaking), which means that different parts of it vary immensely, both in terms of atmosphere and commuting convenience.

I would reccommend playing around a little with Google Maps so you can see what I mean.

For the record: Tempe is my favorite city in the valley for a variety of reasons. To give a few: Liberal local Government, Pro-Expanding Public Transit, more diverse, etc...

I really have nothing bad to say about Mesa, but I am not familiar enough with it to say anything good about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area