Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,293 times

Advertisements

Am I going crazy or is it morning noon and night that Helicopters are flying over.
For the past yr I cannot remember a day that we have not had at least 30 minutes with a helicopter over head.
Cross streets are Northern and 12th st.

The area is not the safest in Phx but these birds never look like they are looking for anyone.
Sometimes they have their spotlights on but in no specific direction.

Just ten minutes ago I was outside for 22 minutes staring at a helicopter that was staying in one spot, no lamp on anything, no lamp on at all~ just flying in place, then it left and headed north.....

A couple weeks ago I called the news to ask about it, I called the police dept and they said it wasn't their bird- but that was a lie because I took a photo of the side and it was a clearly marked police chopper

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Maybe medical copters going to John C Lincoln Hospital that's nearby???

Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM

I thought of that but then why would they stay in one spot for over 20 minutes tonight.
And last week I was out walking my dog and a few copters where running "drills" or something
Each taking turns shining their spot lights on the hills behind our house but not looking for anyone because they were "searching" how they normally search with their lights.

I am not exg when I say it is constant.
I hear them everyday a few times a day - Most are all black, some are white and blue

Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 AM

537 posts, read 1,546,189 times
I wonder if the helicopters could be police and tv news copters observing SR51 traffic conditions? The freeways have seemed really busy all summer and getting busier with the weather cooling like it is. There are accidents that the birds will hover over. 12th. St. and Northern is close the the parkway. Keep us posted and shoot some video of the helicopters. Wit-nit suggested medical copters and John C. Lincoln. Have you tried getting around here in your car? Maybe they're private transportation. ROADWORK AHEAD

Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 AM

I will shoot video tomorrow and post it.

The choppers are usually in the neighborhoods- not so much over the 51. On occasion they are and you can tell they are covering traffic or accients when they stay above the 51

Once I post the videos tell me what you think.
I wish I would have caught the chopper tonight hanging out for over 20 minutes in one spot but the camera was on the charger.

They are here all the time so I am sure I will get another chance

Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
the blue & white one is Phoenix pd & I agree, they seem to have far too much funding in that department, since they arent bashful about hovering at low altitude for long periods of time.

i havent seen them in my area for a while, but you cant miss them when they are in the area - fwiw, I've seen in other threads that Phoenix got a noise waiver from the FAA so they could use a cheaper (louder) helicopter.. hoping it makes the news next time they need a waiver as I'd certainly like to object to it myself.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,698 times
This topic has been discussed at length in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...licopters.html

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Hovering helicopter, crime in progress; spotlight on, following burglar.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Hovering helicopter, crime in progress; spotlight on, following burglar.
To add to this: Spotlight off = using FLIR

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

4,072 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Just wait till they start using drones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area